Totes and carryons

Suzque49

I was wondering if it would be allowed for me to carry 2 totes, one larger then the other, identifying one as my "purse" and the other as a carryon. Alternatively, would a cross body purse, or messenger bag type purse, have to be "stowed" under the seat or in the overhead while in flight, or could you just leave it on your body, (like a belly pack). Hubby will be carrying a backpack to stow either under the seat or in the overhead.

Thanks

I typically carry a traditional small rollaboard and a messenger bag which has my computer, all my electronic toys, wallet, etc. No purse at all. You can do that, and the smaller tote will be considered a "personal item" but it will have to go under the seat in front of you for takeoff/landing. Even a normal-size purse isn't allowed on your lap during takeoff and landing.

You are allowed a carry on bag and a smaller personal item/bag. Your carry on bag can be a 22" or less size roll aboard bag that can fit in the overhead bin and your personal item can be a purse, computer bag, or any other small bag that can fit under the seat in front of you or it can go in the overhead bin also.

The carryon rules vary by airline. For example, Alitalia only allows 1 carryon per person weighing less than 18 pounds (and they do weigh them.)

This is true especially on airlines from outside the USA and maybe even on US airlines on an international flight.

In addition to my carry on (goes in overhead) and personal item (goes under seat in front), I typically have a small cross body purse that I pull out of the personal item after boarding and wear for the duration of the flight. Never had a problem using it that way. I keep my passport, wallet, phone, etc in it.

In addition to my carry on (goes in overhead) and personal item (goes under seat in front), I typically have a small cross body purse that I pull out of the personal item after boarding and wear for the duration of the flight. Never had a problem using it that way. I keep my passport, wallet, phone, etc in it.

Pretty nifty idea there. :D Doing that is pretty smart since it was in one of your other carry on's keeping you under the two item limit.

Pretty nifty idea there. :D Doing that is pretty smart since it was in one of your other carry on's keeping you under the two item limit.

I once made the mistake of trying to board with the rollaboard and the computer bag while wearing the cross-body purse. They made me put it in one of the carry-ons before I could board. :rolleyes: Whatever.

I once made the mistake of trying to board with the rollaboard and the computer bag while wearing the cross-body purse. They made me put it in one of the carry-ons before I could board. :rolleyes: Whatever.

Yep. That's why I wait until I'm at my seat. I once had them throw a fit over a neck pillow I had out instead of in my bag during boarding. Learned my lesson.

The "issues" that cabin crew may have during boarding probably have more to do with safety. Loose items can become dangerous in an accident and can hinder a quick evacuation from the cabin (you and other passengers). If they know there's an FAA inspector aboard they will really be careful to fully comply with reguations. On a recent flight, they were double checking seat belts, giving an additional safety briefing to the exit row passengers, and were looking for things like luggage straps that were not tucked away....probably The Man was aboard...

The "issues" that cabin crew may have during boarding probably have more to do with safety. Loose items can become dangerous in an accident and can hinder a quick evacuation from the cabin (you and other passengers).

No problem with that- I know that they want every possible projectile tied down/strapped in/locked up for takeoff and landing. I was just annoyed that I had to tuck a purse the size of a pack of cigarettes into my carry-on before they'd even let me board.

The carryon rules vary by airline. For example, Alitalia only allows 1 carryon per person weighing less than 18 pounds (and they do weigh them.)

Would a camera bag (sling bag) count as a personal item in addition to a small rolling bag on Alitalia?

Would a camera bag (sling bag) count as a personal item in addition to a small rolling bag on Alitalia?

You would need to check with Alitalia and their carry on policy. Their policy might be different from US airlines especially if it is an international flight.

I see no mention personal items on the Alitalia site. They only refer to "hand luggage":

HAND BAGGAGE

Personal belongings such as briefcases and portable computers are considered to be hand luggage which you can take onboard. This also applies to crutches and strollers; however these will have to be checked in, labelled and stowed in the hold if there is not enough space on board.

We would also like to remind you about the new overhead lockers that have been introduced on some of our MD80s, in order to offer you more practical storage for your hand baggage.

HAND BAGGAGE DIMENSIONS

You are allowed to carry only 1 piece of hand luggage onboard which must not exceed 8 kgs of weight and the following dimensions (including handles, side pockets and wheels):

Given that there is no mention of personal items in addition to hand luggage, and that briefcases are considered hand luggage, I would assume that one piece of hand luggage means you can carry on ONE bag, period, regardless of whether it's a small rollaboard, a briefcase or a camera bag. I could be wrong, but I would err on the side of caution. IME, and from things I've read, European carriers tend to be much stricter than US airlines regarding both the number of carry ons and the weight of carry ons. As a rule, Europeans are conditioned to traveling much lighter than Americans so this isn't an issue for them.

The other poster is correct. Alitalia allows ONE carryon per person and it must meet their strict weight and size restrictions. So you need to put your camera bag in a larger carryon unless the camera bag is all you want to carry on. (By the way, their food is delicious!)

i do the same.

The other poster is correct. Alitalia allows ONE carryon per person and it must meet their strict weight and size restrictions. So you need to put your camera bag in a larger carryon unless the camera bag is all you want to carry on.

Exactly the kind of airline these were made for-

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Womens-Trench.shtml

Exactly the kind of airline these were made for-

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Womens-Trench.shtml

Too funny! I started buying Scottevest jackets less than 2 years ago and now I have 4 of them (for different temperatures.). I always fly with 1 or 2 of them. Which one(s) I take depends on the expected weather. They are the best! Especially when traveling in Europe; all the inside pockets adds a lot of security. I also wear them at home. I rarely carry a purse anymore.

When we flew Alitalia in April, I knew my carryon was 4 pounds too heavy. I loaded up my jacket and after my one carryon was weighed and tagged, I moved some things from my jacket to it.

Surprisingly, I actually liked Alitalia's limit of 1 light carryon. I felt so free without my usual heavy wheeled carryon and backpack.

I have four of them also..... first I bought the women's medium weight jacket, then got the quilted winter one for a December transatlantic. When the women's trench coat came out this spring I got that one in red, then lost weight so went down a size and bought another one in black. I still wear the red one day-to-day when it rains and save the black one for travel since I don't like standing out in airports.

The only problem I seem to have is not always remembering what pocket something is in :rolleyes:

i do the same.

Me too--much easier to handle getting onto the plane. I typically have a small backpack with shoulder bag and pillow etc inside it and a standard roll-on. I need to get a smaller roll-on for commuter flights I'm on next spring.

Me too--much easier to handle getting onto the plane. I typically have a small backpack with shoulder bag and pillow etc inside it and a standard roll-on. I need to get a smaller roll-on for commuter flights I'm on next spring.

LL Beans 16" "underseat" roller so far has been accepted on every airline, and we have been on over 15 different airlines in the last few years including smaller Bangkok Air and Cambodia Air. When they go around the airports weighing some bags so far they have skipped me and moved on to people with the 21-22" rolling bags.

Archived