Just Got An "Up-Sell Call"....

terry55

Sailing on the Dawn next week in an Aft Penthouse. Just received a call asking if we'd like to move up to the Owner's Suite; would be $950 total for 2. I have always wanted an Aft Suite -- what to do? DH will be home shortly and need to make a decision asap (first come, first served offer).

We're on Deck 10. First time on NCL, first time in a suite. Just unsure of movement in bow of ship. Extra $ is a consideration. Great opportunity, but love the idea of being at the aft.

Be careful--the Deluxe Owner's Suite (SA) appears to me to have large glass windows and NOT a balcony. Maybe I am mistaken and someone can quickly correct me--but on the NCL website it does not list a balcony. There is an Owner's Suite with 2 Balconies (SB)--and obviously that suite has a balcony.

I only mention this as I have been studying it on the web site and trying to figure it out and then your post came up. I would NOT want to be without a balcony regardless of teh size of the suite.

But maybe I am wrong and someone can clarify.

Sailing on the Dawn next week in an Aft Penthouse. Just received a call asking if we'd like to move up to the Owner's Suite; would be $950 total for 2. I have always wanted an Aft Suite -- what to do? DH will be home shortly and need to make a decision asap (first come, first served offer).

NICE:D

You can't go wrong whatever you decide!

Hope to see you onboard!!!!

We're on Deck 10. First time on NCL, first time in a suite. Just unsure of movement in bow of ship. Extra $ is a consideration. Great opportunity, but love the idea of being at the aft.

You're on the good deck for aft suites and have the cabin you wanted so I would stay where you are. Just think you have an extra $950 for dinners & drinks!!!

We stayed in the Deluxe Owners Suite (no balcony) on Star, same config as Dawn. We loved it, the upgraded amenities include 3 free bottles of your choice of liquor, priority everything.

On the other hand, the Owner's Suite has two, count 'em two, balconies. They are both great suites and both have the upgraded amenities.

Enjoy!

Valleyvillage,

Thanks for confirming the issue about the balcony. I am wondering--how did you feel about not having a balcony? I cannot imagine--I would want a balcony regardless of the size of the suite.

:)

I'd be afraid I might take an ax to the glass windows if I didn't have a balcony:eek:

The owner's suite on Dawn is (are) wonderful - I'm assuming you are referring to the two front units on each of 9 and 10. I would say if you can swing it, go for it - we did a few years ago and loved it.

The front balcony is huge and wonderful - and really found it quite usable, wind wasn't a problem.

The 2 units on 10 are slightly bigger, but their front balconies lack some privacy (bridge can see in).

Anyways, these are amazing, you will be totally spoiled. (Some extra perks: 2 or is it 4? litres of booze of your choice - and reserved seating in the theater.

We loved our Aft Suite on the Gem. However we did have a problem with soot and lots of it. It was worse in port when we were dock aft to aft with the Summit. The butler kept on blaming the Summit for the soot landing on deck 10. Don't know if it was the Summit or just the way the wind happen to be blowing.

Since it has been clarified that the Deluxe Owner's Suite (SA) has no balcony--that would be a HUGE issue for me. I would NEVER leave my aft suite with a balcony to go to the SA. But that's just me. But It's a very important distinction because it might not even OCCUR to you that an Owner's Suite would NOT have a balcony.

On the other hand, if it is the Owner's Suite with Two Balconies (SB)--then I would see it as the chance of a lifetime.

Just curious--why would the suite with two balconies cost LESS than the SA? Square footage they appear to be the same. It was very confusing to me--I only noticed it last night as I was closely studying the web site.

Thanks for the comments; DH came home and we decided to keep the aft suite on deck 10. Have always wanted an aft room, and this suite is a splurge/treat to ourselves. Owner's Suite offer was tempting (and it was the SB with 2 balconies), but as others have said, we can surely find other ways to use that extra $950!

We were on aft balconies on deck 10 in January and loved it! No smoke or ash at all anytime during the cruise. In fact, just had the smell of fresh baked goods from the bakery! I'd stay in the aft suite if it were me, especially for Alaska! You want to be able to go out on that balcony often! We even slept with doors open when we did Alaska, and it was not during the summer, but in May and September. You can get a bar set-up of the liquor is a consideration. :D

Thanks for the comments; DH came home and we decided to keep the aft suite on deck 10. Have always wanted an aft room, and this suite is a splurge/treat to ourselves. Owner's Suite offer was tempting (and it was the SB with 2 balconies), but as others have said, we can surely find other ways to use that extra $950!

IMHO you made a great choice. I've been in 10728 and have it booked for next spring. As well as the wonderful aft view it is a quiet place on the ship. There's no reason for anyone to be down that way unless they're going to their cabin.

Enjoy your time at sea!

I'd rather spend the $950 elsewhere too! Also, there is usually a rule about not using the front balconies while sailing. In which case your aft-facing balcony would be larger than the side facing smaller balcony in the Owner's Suite.

Call them back and say you'll give them $500 for the upsell.

Willy - you can use the front balcony while underway, it's just windy and some find that to be uncomfortable. You do have to keep the lights off or the cabin drapes pulled as the lights interfere on the bridge.

I too would have tried a little negotiation... especially if it was the 2 balcony suite.

.....Also, there is usually a rule about not using the front balconies while sailing. In which case your aft-facing balcony would be larger than the side facing smaller balcony in the Owner's Suite.

We've been on forward balcony suites for most of our NCL cruises and never had a problem using the balcony while sailing or at night. They do prefer you to close the drapes and/or keep the door closed to reduce the light interference to the bridge at night.

OP, if it was me and it was the 2 balcony Owner's Suite, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I might even do it for the no balcony Owner's suite, just to see what that's like. I do prefer having a balcony, though.

Sound's like you've made the right choice for you and I'm sure you'll love it.

Archived