Please help with Norweigen Gem stateroom question

cg1644

Me and my fiance will be taking a cruise for our honeymoon on May 2012. We are going on the Norweigen Gem. We are not sure what cabin to choose because this is our very first cruise and we are terrified of motion sickness. He wants to stick to the middle of the boat and get a mini suite balcony stateroom but I think its too small and want to go for something more extravagant for our honeymoon! I was thinking either the penthouse balcony aft or the courtyard Villa. The courtyard Villa is mid ship BUT its deck 14 so I hear the higher up the more it rocks. The penthouse balcony is a lower deck BUT its in the back of the boat and not mid ship. I am so confused on which room to pick. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks so much!!

Me and my fiance will be taking a cruise for our honeymoon on May 2012. We are going on the Norweigen Gem. We are not sure what cabin to choose because this is our very first cruise and we are terrified of motion sickness. He wants to stick to the middle of the boat and get a mini suite balcony stateroom but I think its too small and want to go for something more extravagant for our honeymoon! I was thinking either the penthouse balcony aft or the courtyard Villa. The courtyard Villa is mid ship BUT its deck 14 so I hear the higher up the more it rocks. The penthouse balcony is a lower deck BUT its in the back of the boat and not mid ship. I am so confused on which room to pick. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks so much!!
If you've got the money, go for the CV!:D

Please keep in mind that a full suite (non mini-suite) comes with lost of perks...special dinning for breakfast and lunch, butler and concierge service, easier check-in / boarding, DVD player and DVD library, etc.

All this is in addition to the larger room space. More money, but many think that suites on NCL are really special.

The higher up in the ship, the more side to side motion there can be....NCL ships use stabilizers when underway that cut down on this motion a lot. The pitching motion (bow up / bow down) is not helped, but higher locations don't really get much more of the pitching motion than lower cabins, Forward cabins will get more pitching motion than aft cabins.

I would not be concerned about the motion in aft suites or CV suites.

In most cases almost no one will get seasick, unless there is specifically stormy waters. These ships are just so huge and heavy they cut through and ignore the waves. I did see one older gentleman with small stick-on bandaid looking patch on his temple, I assumed was for motion sickness

This is a very special cruise, and the courtyard villas are very special suites. Do not convince yourselves that you are going to suffer from sea sickness. If necessary, there are pills, patches and wrist bands to prevent it. I have never suffered in 20 odd cruises, and my wife once, on the first cruise (cause she had convinced herself, she would feel it)... she bought wrist bands in the gift shop, and felt better in an hour. Never has needed them since.

Enjoy, and best wishes in your upcoming marriage.

Al

Thanks so much for all the imput! I will most likely go for the penthouse aft balcony suite 10664. I been searching the web for that room specifically and have read nothing but praise. I believe it used to be named the "romance suite" which is perfect since it will be our honeymoon! lol

So no real big difference with the rocking in that one or the CV on deck 14? Pretty much would be the same on either right?

I am not so concerned but my fiancee always gets car sick so he is a little concerned but I plan on bringing those bracelet thingies and some other meds just in case! ;)

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks so much for all the imput! I will most likely go for the penthouse aft balcony suite 10664. I been searching the web for that room specifically and have read nothing but praise. I believe it used to be named the "romance suite" which is perfect since it will be our honeymoon! lol

So no real big difference with the rocking in that one or the CV on deck 14? Pretty much would be the same on either right?

I am not so concerned but my fiancee always gets car sick so he is a little concerned but I plan on bringing those bracelet thingies and some other meds just in case! ;)

Thanks again everyone!

That is a great choice. You'll have a lot of privacy and a gianormous balcony! If your fiancé is really worried, have him talk to his doctor about the patch. I have a friend who gets motion sick at the drop of a hat and the patch has served her very well!

That is a great choice. You'll have a lot of privacy and a gianormous balcony! If your fiancé is really worried, have him talk to his doctor about the patch. I have a friend who gets motion sick at the drop of a hat and the patch has served her very well!

I will definately do that thanks!

BikerAl, I think you hit it right on the head, the fear of having the motion sickness may actually make us have it, even though its probably not real and more just anxiety from the fear of it! lol

Stick with the generic bonanine tablets from CVS or Rite Aid-they are usually cheaper than the brand name, and you take one every six hours. You are not supposed to have alcohol when on the patch-if you must use the patch, put one on when you go to bed.

...get a mini suite balcony stateroom but I think its too small and want to go for something more extravagant for our honeymoon..

Yes, it is your honeymoon and you want to have a great time. The cabins are not that small. After all, half the people sailing will be a balcony. And, a whole lot of people will be in Oceanview and Inside cabins, and will have a great time as well.

But, if you have money to throw around, go for the suites. They are great.

Can you drink alcohol when taking the Bonanine and wearing the bracelets?

Don't know about the bracelets, but my wife takes boniine (meclizine) and drinks with no side effects. Take a bonine the night before the cruise, then one 2 or 3 times a day during the cruise. They work great for her.

Can you drink alcohol when taking the Bonanine and wearing the bracelets?

Judging by my friend and the numerous people I've seen on the ship wearing the patches, most people don't seem listen to the alcohol recommendation, LOL. :D

Thanks everyone!! I might actually be changing ship and going on the Star instead of the Gem. Only because I hear Bermuda is amazing and much nicer than the Bahamas. I will stick with the same aft balcony penthouse though just different ship.

Has anyone sailed on the Star, does it differ much from the Gem?

I swear by the wristbands for motion sickness..You don't have to worry about not being able to drink, drowsiness etc..You can find them at Rite Aid, CVS etc..next to the motion sickness pills..I bought the ones that look kinda like sweat bands..they have button on it and you place the button on a certain area on the wrist and it sends message to the brain for balance..works like accupressure..I also bring Bonine instead of Dramamine as the Bonine seems less drowsy..but I don't even take it..It is rare that people get sea sick on the big ships..Put the bands on right before going onto the ship..Have a great time and whatever cabin you decide on...you will have a great time..Congrats on your marriage

The armbands work very well. At Walmart, they sell MotionEze (sp?), which is an all-natural oil. You rub a drop behind your ears. Sells for about $7 for a tiny bottle. Works wonderfully. Ginger also does the trick.

Thank you guys!! I booked it!! Norwegian Star, penthouse balcony room 10228!! Sooooo excited!! :D:D

Congratulations on the penthouse and best wishes for your wedding. Come back with any questions you may have between now and then!

We've been in 10228 on the Star for two different cruises...you'll love it and the great service you'll receive as a suite guest.

Here's a link to some pictures I found of your cabin: http://travel.webshots.com/album/154643088LEECGc

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Greg

Thank you guys!! I booked it!! Norwegian Star, penthouse balcony room 10228!! Sooooo excited!! :D:D

Archived