Carnival Coffee

cobra09

I have been reading that the coffee on board is really awful.

I remember reading somewhere about getting a special cappuccino cup for cappuccinos in the pastry shop (?) that were definitely better than the regular coffee. Does anyone know anymore details about those?

Also I am wondering how hot the water gets in the rooms and if it is worth it to bring in a french press and my own coffee like a crazy...or maybe even those Starbucks via individual instant coffees. I do not think Starbucks is the greatest coffee but all this talk of "dingy bron water" makes me nervous.

I am a coffee maniac and I'm scared :p

french press you would have loose coffee grounds. Heck the toilets can barely flush the biodegradeable TP down the toilets. Even at home I have to turn on my garbage disposal to get grounds down my sink. Terrible idea.

Remember its not just your sink that may be affected, its anyone below you in the plumbing line. Be a considerate guest.

Bring the instant Starbucks if you are that picky or you can pay for it at the coffee shops.

there is a coffee shop stand in the back of all buffets I believe besides the one on promenade on many ships Iv been on.

We're taking our first Carnival cruise in less than a month, and are also concerned about the coffee 'situation'. Even though RCI has Seattle's Best, it was barely drinkable out of the big urns. We resorted to purchasing lattes daily from the coffee bar. So we're going to bring the Starbucks Via instant coffee this time to try and help the budget!

why wouldnt I be able to just throw the coffee grounds in the garbage like a normal person? I am not going to going to force a whole press full of coffee grounds down a toilet or a sink. I understand that a bit would get rinsed down but I don't think it would be any more that what normally goes down the plumbing. Don't worry I won't ruin your cruise. I am not even crazy enough to actually pack a french press, I was just thinking of another resource.

I am not that picky, it's just that in 3/4 of all the reviews people mention the awful coffee. Have you had the coffee at the coffee shops? Do you know about the cappuccino cups? Or did you just post to rain and hate on my terrible idea with no helpfulness?

All cruise lines seem to have similar-- i.e., bad-- coffee. I've heard (but don't know for sure) that the coffee on the Lido is made from some concentrate, which accounts for its yuckiness. That said, personally I've found that room service coffee is *always* better than Lido coffee. In the dining room, Carnival is the only line that still offers free cappuccino at dinner, and though it's been awhile since we cruised Carnival, I recall it being pretty darn tasty.

For me the Coffee has been.. pretty good ...or the worst i have ever taisted....I dont understand why but it seems the room service coffee is better then the lido decks coffee ...everyone seems to have an opinion and most of it i do agree is negative ...I like a weaker coffee where the Lido deck seems thick to me...but with that said I hate Starbbucks but i love the local seven elevens coffee...

I find the coffee to be drinkable. Once in a while I would go to the coffee shops and buy a Brewed regular coffee. (they do sell brewed coffee there too)

(they were 1.25 for a 16oz.)

why wouldnt I be able to just throw the coffee grounds in the garbage like a normal person? I am not going to going to force a whole press full of coffee grounds down a toilet or a sink. I understand that a bit would get rinsed down but I don't think it would be any more that what normally goes down the plumbing. Don't worry I won't ruin your cruise. I am not even crazy enough to actually pack a french press, I was just thinking of another resource.

I am not that picky, it's just that in 3/4 of all the reviews people mention the awful coffee. Have you had the coffee at the coffee shops? Do you know about the cappuccino cups? Or did you just post to rain and hate on my terrible idea with no helpfulness?

FAQs from carnival say no household items. Its a rule from Carnival. (I think coffee makers is in ( ) in case people are in doubt what a household item is.

You would surely want to wash out your pot in the sink??

As I said bring the starbucks. Yes, of course I had the coffee, and I can barely drink it, but I am spoiled at home.

In the MDR you can get capachino or espresso free... but its pretty syrupy to me. Not the best.

I am a total coffee hound, and I like the ship's coffee just fine, Lido and MDR. Have never had room service, so can't speak about that. Too darned frugal (cheap) to pay for coffee at the pastry shop when it's free in the Lido, or maybe I should say I've already paid for it when I paid for the cruise. Honestly, I LOVE coffee, and can't say I've felt like I was suffering from lack of good coffee on any cruise. We set sail in 107 days, and I cannot wait until I'm sitting on the Magic sipping their coffee!!

I have found on the Lido deck that the coffee is too strong, so they have hot water there. I full my cup with half coffee and half hot water, then its fine. Dining room coffee has been okay for me. Try this and see if it works for you. It would save alot of money since the special coffee shop charges you.

I always have a pot of coffee delivered to our room in the morning. The room service coffee comes from the dining room. Taste better than on Lido. I have to have a cup of coffee before I get dressed in the morning. I haven't had regular coffee from the coffee shop but I have had the frozen mochas and they were wonderful.

I agree with Woody on the earlier post. The coffee is not that bad. Morning coffee is a BIG priority to me and I admit that this was one area that I really stressed over before our last cruise. I too considered trying to bring my mini travel pot but after reading the rules decided I didn't want to risk it. I am a pot-a-morning person and would order 2 carafes from room service each morning. It would always arrive on time and hot. I had no complaints what so ever with it's quality. I have to admit that I did not drink any coffee from the lido buffet so I cannot comment on that . I also ordered a decaf after dinner in the MDR and again it was quite good and always served hot.

My suggestion would be to order room service coffee and if it isn't to your liking then go to the coffee shop for a cup. JMHO, but the water in the cabin had a funny taste. I even used bottled water to brush my teeth. The water on the Lido was just fine so I'm not sure what's up with that but I wouldn't use any water in the cabin to make any beverage. You can order hot water through room service. If you have the new Instant Starbucks this may be an option as well.

Good luck to you. I feel your pain.

I always have a pot of coffee delivered to our room in the morning. The room service coffee comes from the dining room. Taste better than on Lido. I have to have a cup of coffee before I get dressed in the morning. I haven't had regular coffee from the coffee shop but I have had the frozen mochas and they were wonderful.

They have frozen Mochas ????? Darn, I missed that. Will have to look for it on our upcoming cruise.

Thanks for the wonderful tip. :)

They have frozen Mochas ????? Darn, I missed that. Will have to look for it on our upcoming cruise.

Thanks for the wonderful tip. :)

its called Chocalate Mocha Getaway. Sells for 7.25 plus grats

I think the coffee is OK, but Carnival's coffee is 100% better than the coffee on Princess. That coffee was worse than bad.... We took our own 4 cup coffee maker on our Princess cruise. I can at least drink the coffee on Carnival. It would be nice if all cruise lines served good coffee. Drinking a GOOD cup of coffee first thing in the morning on your balcony would be wonderful...

I understand the fears, and from what I have been hearing I have them myself! I can't function before I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning (thank god for being a WaH mom!)

I have been debating bringing my instant coffee and syrups on board because my real vice is iced coffee. And to be honest, a $200 coffee budget on the cruise, is more than my coffee budget for a year!

Has anyone bought flavored coffee syrup bottles on board? I have a place by me that sells anywhere from little tiny 150 ml bottles to 750 ml bottles which I hit up every month as it is (it's a little local run store, who prices for them are 1/2 the cost of Walmart's). I am just worried about it getting confiscated at the start or such.

One reason the coffee kiosk/plaza cafe coffee seems to taste better for some folks is that it's basically an Americano, ie, expresso with added hot water.

Coffee on the Lido deck is from bags, a standard medium roast drip ground, like MH or Folgers, and is "brewed" via large urn which as the amount of water set at a level that creates an average, passable cup of coffee for most people. Not too strong, not too weak. The same coffee, same process is also often used in the MDR. Water is also an issue as the desalinated water on ship tastes different from your local water at home, whose taste you have grown accustom. Some people don't mind it, others don't like it.

Those who enjoy a better quality of coffee and perhaps a little more flavor should use the coffee shop/Plaza cafe coffee or bring an alternative. I know some obessive types do bring their grinders, whole beans and press pots/individual drip pots, but this is probably going overboard.

Archived