Odyssey questions on dining, Ephesus, steam/sauna, chef mkt tours (Venice-Istanbul)

deiger

Hello,

We are booked on the 14-day cruise from Venice to Istanbul (9/19-10/3.) The boards have been very helpful in answering (and generating) questions for me. Any input on the below questions would be most appreciated.

Do people booked on Seabourn shore excursions get to disembark before those with privately-booked tours or DIY-ers?

What is reservation process for Restaurant 2 on the 1st and 2nd nights? Are reservations made solely once on-board, or can they be requested in advance of boarding? When is the menu for R2 available for 1st and 2nd nights (i.e. in advance of boarding?) When bridging the 1st and 2nd weeks of the 2-week cruise, will they let you book day 1 and 2 of the 2nd week 48 hours prior (i.e. at the tail end of the 1st week of the cruise?)

Ephesus

- We are considering booking a private tour for Ephesus, as it appears like quite a few cruise ships are docking that day, and we are thinking about trying to get out ahead of the crowds. Seabourn's description of their excursion makes it sound like they have negotiated some kind of special access to the ruin ("Visit the Terrace Houses located opposite Hadrian's Temple, a newly excavated section to which Seabourn Cruises has specially negotiated access.") Is there really a difference between Seabourn's offering and other private tours?

- What time should private tours return to boat? I see from other comments that there is an early dinner that night to accommodate the Ephesus special event. Is there always some kind of late-night dinner offered after the Ephesus concert?

Is there a special event for 1st week (Venice-Athens) similar to the Ephesus concert?

Do they normally do chef market tours on the Venice-Istanbul run? When does information on Chef market tours become available? I really want to do this once (or twice,) but if I am booking private tours or shore excursions, won't those start times interfere?

I'm confused about the steam/sauna rooms. When I asked Seabourn, they said that in order to use them, you need to pay the day use fee. But, I've also seen postings referring to steam/sauna rooms in spa dressing area available no charge?

What happens in Athens for continuing guests? How does getting off the ship work if we are booking a private tour that day? Some friends just returned from a different Seabourn cruise around the Mediterranean, and there was a reception for continuing guests?

I've also scoured the boards for recommendations of private tour agents, and have made copious notes. But I'm always looking for more up to date info.

Also, I could really use input on the best tours for each port--there are so many! I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this part, my apologies if not. We haven't figured out whether we'll do ship, private or DIY tours... most likely a combination of all of the above. We have 2 days with a private car/driver (choice of: Dubrovnik, Athens, and Kusadasi/Ephesus.) We are leaning towards Athens and Ephesus, but appreciate any insight.

Here are my current thoughts (none yet booked:)

W 9/21 Dubrovnik - private tour

Th 9/22 Kotor - DIY or Seabourn excursion

F 9/23 Corfu - DIY or Seabourn excursion

Sa 9/24 Katakolon - thinking Seabourn excursion since it's a short duration (8am-1pm)

Su 9/25 Santorini - DIY

M 9/26 Athens - private car/driver

T 9/27 Milos - DIY

W 9/28 Patmos - DIY or Seabourn excursion

Th 9/29 Rhodes - DIY or Seabourn excursion

F 9/30 Mykonos - DIY

Sa 10/1 Ephesus - private car/driver

Su 10/2 Lesbos - DIY

M 10/3 Istanbul - private tour

Thank you in advance!

Diane

Quote" I'm confused about the steam/sauna rooms. When I asked Seabourn, they said that in order to use them, you need to pay the day use fee. But, I've also seen postings referring to steam/sauna rooms in spa dressing area available no charge?

Diane,

I can answer this question for you. There is no Steam Room that is Free of Charge, you have to pay the day rate to use this. But there is a sauna, one for Ladies and one for Men in the changing rooms.

I'll also answer some of the questions.

You'll find that you can disembark the ship at the same time as others who are booked on a ships tour even if you are not booked on a tour.

In terms of some of the ports.

Dubrovnik. Unless you want to get out into the countryside this is one is a place where it is really not necessary to take a formal or private tour. If you do not have mobility issues I would take the shuttle into town and spend time on a self guided tour of the walled city. It is elevated and you will also enjoy stunning views of the city and of the ocean. Also be on deck for the arrival to this port. You can also then walk around the adjacent area after you visit the walled city.

Ephesus. I highly recommend seeing Ephesus. You mention in your text a private tour but then in the details you say a car/driver. Be sure that there is someone who will take you all around Ephesus so that you have the benefit of someone pointing out the key areas to see and the associated historical facts. Yes, you should most definitely also visit the the Terrace Houses. I am not sure if Seabourn passengers see something that you would not see on a private tour. A private tour will give you a lot of benefits in terms of being able to go at your own pace and also to ask as many questions as you would like.

Corfu. I would definitely do a tour here.

Athens. A private tour will maximize what you will see. Those who have been here a couple of times can easily revisit places on their own because many are within a 45 minute walk of one another once you begin say at the Panathinaiko Stadium. Be sure to also include a visit to the Acropolis museum. You could have the tour company get you tickets on line for a specified time or you could that yourself.

Rhodes. Whatever you do build in time to see the Walled City which begins after a five minute walk from the pier. There are some historical sites to visit and I would do a google search to list them out. There is a very nice synagogue there that I would recommend seeing regardless of ones religion.

Istanbul. A private tour for a first timer is a great idea. Be sure to see the Blue Mosque, the Basilica Cistern which is underneath the city, and the Topkapi Palace. I would visit one of the markets but ask the locals for their recommendation. There are markets that are quite a bit nicer than the Grand Bazaar which sells a lot of cheap stuff. I would also stop by the spice market just to see all of the incredible spices.

Are you flying right home after the cruise or staying in Istanbul. If you are staying take a cruise of the 20 mile Bosporus Strait. I wasn't sure whether or not the ship will sail that. It is quite beautiful.

Keith

Th 9/29 Rhodes - DIY or Seabourn excursion

F 9/30 Mykonos - DIY

Sa 10/1 Ephesus - private car/driver

Su 10/2 Lesbos - DIY

M 10/3 Istanbul - private tour

Regarding R2 I would go to Seabourn Square immediately upon boarding to make a reservation for the first or second night. You cannot to it beforehand. And while you're there ask about Shopping with the chef and tell them you want to be notified and enrolled as soon as the know the date. Make sure they take your suite number as these things fill up quickly.

AS for excursions similar to the evening concert at Ephesus there are no others. Seabourn experiences seem to have been culled down to that, beach barbecues in certain ports and caviar in the surf in others.

I'm a big fan of private tours or DIY but you seem to have achieved a nice balance. In Kotor you could DIY as well by taking a taxi to wherever the tour would take you and walking around.

Archived