Dawn vs Spirit

Yes, we sailed the Spirit twice and the Dawn this past May. There are more similarities than differences. The new remodeling of the ship is beautifully done, and it appears very clean and bright inside. There are new hairdryers in the rooms and each room has a fridge. The biggest difference seemed to be in the buffet; the Spirit's buffet had more choices and a bit less confusion. There is a special buffet for kids, but that cuts down on the overall space in the restaurant. However, if you have small children, it's great! The chocolate buffet is at 7:30 PM instead of at 11 PM, a big improvement. You'll be happy with the Dawn. We're going again in October. Most people were very impressed, I think.

I really enjoyed both ships. The only thing I missed from the Spirit, when on the Dawn, is the outdoor seating at the buffet. The Dawn does not have this. They do have outside seating, for breakfast etc, around the pool, but I really loved the terrace seating aft on the Spirit.

The Dawn has a more traditional decorating style while the Spirit has the Asian influence, which I found interesting.

Overall I think you'll be happy with the Dawn - enjoy.

I loved both of the ship. They each have con and pro

I love the back of the spirit where you can relax, eat and look at the sea

I love the spa relaxation room in the Dawn (spirit doesn't have a relaxation room)

I've missed not having a Mexican restaurant on the Spirit. Dawn has it.

I preferred the show on the Spirit

IMHO, The crew on the Spirit is the best of the line.

I prefer Dawn's pool section has it split in 2 pools.

Dawn is a big bigger and newer.

Don't worry, you will like the Dawn I'm sure.

Happy cruising,

I've been on both and the Spirit won hands down for me. We are going on the Dawn again (maybe) but she was my least favorite ship. I simply didn't like her layout and I don't remember any of the crew making an impression. But, that was several years ago, so it may be better.

We just got back from the Dawn. My parents have done the Boston to Bermuda on the Majesty, Spirit and now Dawn. My father preferred the Spirit's rooms. We had BA balcony rooms (10620 and 10622) and they were the smallest rooms we've ever had. He was not a fan of the layout of the buffet on the Dawn so we just avoided it when we were all together. Loved the Blue Lagoon. The Venetian is a beautiful dining room with great views. The other thing my parents commented on was that the Dawn is difficult to navigate. On floors 7 and 6 at various times "you can't get there from here". Same thing with trying to get to the Kid's club. If you're on the wrong elevator you end up walking outside and have to go through the arcade. The staff on the Dawn was excellent. So many people went above and beyond my hand hurt from writing out the STYLE cards on the last night. Honestly, I think you'll have a good time on the Dawn. It's hard not to compare one cruise to another, but if you just focus on enjoying your vacation the little things don't matter.

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for all your comments. I have never had a bad cruise as i think it's all in what you make it. Looking forward to September when I'll be on the Dawn.

When in September are you going ...did you join a roll call yet

FuninWB...sorry you didin't make it to Bermuda last year

When in September are you going ...did you join a roll call yet

FuninWB...sorry you didin't make it to Bermuda last year

Hi,

I'll be on the Dawn on September 2nd. I did join the roll call but here are very few people posting. We have 16 signed up for a meet and greet. Seems small to me.

We loved Spirit's Asian decor, but Dawn is a pretty ship herself.

Spirit has better designed aft with terraces.. reminds me of Princess a bit.

We found entertainment to be better on Dawn.

Buffet choices were better on Dawn, but quality of the food in DR was better on Spirit (in 2008). Venetian is a bit prettier than aft restaurant on Spirit.

Inside cabins are small on both. Main pool area is very crowded on both, but we still enjoyed it. :) We preferred pool area on Spirit to the multilevel on Dawn.

Hi,

I'll be on the Dawn on September 2nd. I did join the roll call but here are very few people posting. We have 16 signed up for a meet and greet. Seems small to me.

Great it is always good to do a meet and greet ..I thought it may be on ours September 16th/.

Have FUN

Ed

As was evident in my reviews/comments after returning from the first Dawn sailing of this season back in May, which I think people were sick of seeing for a while, ( :o ) the Spirit is my favorite ship, and to me the Dawn didn't live up. Hubby and I have been doing the Boston to Bermuda run for a few years now, but I am now considering other cruises (other lines and other trips out of NYC/NJ/ect) until NCL brings a new ship up to Boston. :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the trip, regardless, after all your vaca is what you make of it, its just that if I had the choice (and fortunately I do!) I would go with another ship. If its your first time on a cruise, the Dawn might be great, if I wasn't comparing everything to the spirit, I probably would have liked it better?

As others have said, there are pros and cons. The Spirit is definitely easier to navigate, color-coded staircases are GREAT! and I sorely missed the aft outdoor seating at the buffet. But the Dawn is bigger, so more to explore and more opportunities for "private" spaces I suppose.

I thought the rooms were a little bigger and better on the Dawn, and I loved having a fridge of course!

Archived