Juneau canceled- NCL cruise

stevenikkij

Our cruise leaves next Sunday July 24- there is an issue with the propeller- so we will be staying on the ship in Seattle so they can repair it. We will get $150 per cabin and Bill Cosby is doing a "special" performance on the ship Sunday night, and some other things. While I am not happy at all- there is nothing I can do. :( My main thing in Alaska was to see humpback whales- we had booked an excursion in Juneau to see them. Is there any excursions in either of the other ports- Ketchikan or Skagway that offer tours to see them. So sad right now!!!!!!!!!

Got an email from NCL stating my excursions were canceled because of an itinerary change, so I called and of course the excursion area was closed. Then I went and looked at my edocs and the itinerary had changed online. :(

I woud rebook for a different set of cruise dates. You aren't going to be happy. $150 is an insult.

Unfortunately we can't, we leave in a week- we have everything booked(staying in Seattle the week after), vacations cannot be changed because of work- there are 11 of us going. :( I agree $150 is an insult!!

While I don't have an answer on the whales, I can sympathize with you on the cancellation. We've had that, too, only it was Sitka and College Fjord. Very, very disappointing to have something like that happen. Ours was Carnival and they were not nearly as accommodating as NCL seems to be with yours.

If your cruise goes through Glacier Bay you will probably see humpback wales going in and going out of the Bay - you will need to be outside all day when sailing in and sailing out. We saw quite a few wales on the way out - port side. Breaching wales - a mom and baby. Breathtaking!

Yes, we just got the same email. it is pretty disappointing, I wanted to walk on a real glacier, and do whale watching as well. Other then Skagway, the other ports we visit, we are only in port for less then 6 hours. Well I guess we will just have to make the best of it. A little late to cancel now.... See ya in about 10 days.

There is an outfit in Skagway called Alaska Fjordlines (www.alaskafjordlines.com) that does a roundtrip from Skagway to Juneau that includes wildlife viewing. You might check them out.

That looks great- but we don't get into Skagway until 9am. I think I have resigned myself to the fact that i may not see them unless just by chance. Now my DH says he will have to take me again sometime. :D

If your cruise goes through Glacier Bay you will probably see humpback wales going in and going out of the Bay - you will need to be outside all day when sailing in and sailing out. We saw quite a few wales on the way out - port side. Breaching wales - a mom and baby. Breathtaking!

I will be on the lookout!!! Thanks for the info. :D

Yes, we just got the same email. it is pretty disappointing, I wanted to walk on a real glacier, and do whale watching as well. Other then Skagway, the other ports we visit, we are only in port for less then 6 hours. Well I guess we will just have to make the best of it. A little late to cancel now.... See ya in about 10 days.

Yep- we gotta make the best of it. I'm trying.... LOL

Don't worry. If you sail pass Juneau or thereabout, I can pretty much garantee you will see whales, especially humpbacks.

During the three or four days we sailed in that area, we saw whales, one after another. The difference is the cruise ship will not stop or will it get close to the whales like a whalewatch ship.

FYI - on the way to Glacier Bay, you will sail through Icy Strait. That is one of the prime whale viewing areas in all of Alaska.

I hope we see some. Thanks!!:D

Don't worry. If you sail pass Juneau or thereabout, I can pretty much garantee you will see whales, especially humpbacks.

During the three or four days we sailed in that area, we saw whales, one after another. The difference is the cruise ship will not stop or will it get close to the whales like a whalewatch ship.

I will take my big camera everywhere I go on the ship- so I can get some pics. :)

While I don't have an answer on the whales, I can sympathize with you on the cancellation. We've had that, too, only it was Sitka and College Fjord. Very, very disappointing to have something like that happen. Ours was Carnival and they were not nearly as accommodating as NCL seems to be with yours.

I agree, I had my entire 14 day TA canceled by carnival, and all they offered was a $50 OBC to be issued if I booked another cruise within a year.

And then I had to prove it, saved the letter. They didn't want to issue it, I had to fight them for it!

Victoria offers whale watching excursions.

We are on the week after yours, and I'd be bummed too. We are looking foward to the whale watching in Juneau as well.

I do hope your cruise is wonderful despite this.

Would they let you switch to the NCL Star? It sails one day earlier, and there are still cabins available (but only suites....). We sailed the Star last year to Alaska, and it has a great itinerary.

What a bummer for you guys...I hope things work out one way or another. -maggie

Would they let you switch to the NCL Star? It sails one day earlier, and there are still cabins available (but only suites....). We sailed the Star last year to Alaska, and it has a great itinerary.

I certainly wouldn't give up Glacier Bay for Juneau. When we went in 2007, we didnt do a whale watch in Juneau and we saw a lot of whales from the ship. In 2010, we did do a whale watch in Juneau and saw some, although fewer, from the ship. Perhaps we weren't as intent on looking for them.

I will be on the lookout!!! Thanks for the info. :D

So sorry that you're missing Juneau and your excursion. However, as others have mentioned be sure and spend time up on deck with binoculars and your camera when sailing Icy Strait :D

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Archived