ID for My Kids

ckdmom

DH and I have passports and DL with us. I have certified copies of all kids Birth Certificates. Do I need to get ID's for my kids from the license bureau? Or are they good with just a BC?

Just checking 'cause we are headed out this afternoon!

Not sure where you are sailing to, since you didn't say.

But in all of the ports we have been to on 9 cruises, everybody needs to show a picture ID and the ship's sign and sail card to be let back onto pier to return to your ship. (we just use our passports, many use their drivers license)

The ports just want a photo ID to match to the name on your ship's card.

Passports and BC are just to get you back into the US.

Never traveled with kids, so I'm not sure what form of ID they will need.

Hopefully someone can clarify exactly before you leave.

Have a great cruise

Bill

It may depend on the age of your children.

Our last cruise DS was 15 and DD was 12, they were not required to show a photo ID when getting off at ports.

I do believe if your child is 16, they are required to show a photo ID when flying, I would imagine security for a cruise to be the same.

I know we have a friend who had to go to get a government ID at the last minute prior to flying for thier child who was 16 and had not passed their driving test.

If they don't have a passport, getting the state id would make it easier I would think. With the bc you have to take it out unfold it and refold it and put it away, thus wearing it out. With the state id, it would be the same size as the sign and sail. Just my opinion.

DH and I have passports and DL with us. I have certified copies of all kids Birth Certificates. Do I need to get ID's for my kids from the license bureau? Or are they good with just a BC?

Just checking 'cause we are headed out this afternoon!

If you're leaving today, I guess you'll find out! :)

Hope all goes well and that you have a good cruise!

Thank you Thank you Alliezona! I was about to have a panic attack! I cannot wait to get this cruise underway so I can finally RELAX!!!:p

You're welcome~ hope you have a wonderful cruise~! :D and I agree with above poster~ if you needed something it might have been to late to get it! Ya lucked out~!

I'm a little confused. I thought all you needed to get back on the ship was your ship card. We need to take our drivers license too? We weren't even planning on taking our sons (14) birth certificate with us, just his passport, which we planned on leaving that on the ship.

In most ports they ask for a photo id, I take my DL~ your son will only need his S&S card since he his under 16~ It's the port that wants the photo id, the ship wants the S&S card so they know that everyone is back on board~

Anyone over 16 years of age needs to have some form of picture ID to get through port security. Either a passport, state issued ID or drivers license. You will also need your sign and sail card. They want to verify that you are the name on the card and belong on that ship. I have had the port and the ship security ask to see my sign and sail card and my picture ID. I always have both out and in my hand.

Your son will be fine since he's only 14. You can just take his sign and sail card with him.

BTW some people take their passports with them just in case something happens and they miss the ship.

My granddaughter was asked for a picture ID to get back on the ship in Halifax. She is only 13. Luckily her mother had an old ID of hers ( the mom"s), showing her previous last name. When we got our sign and sails cards, we were told they were tied to our passports, and not to take our passports ashore. You never know when they'll ask for an ID.

With little time get the state ID. For the $10 bucks or so it costs it is a great piece of mind.

Personally I like the passport card. I know that you can't fly with it and it costs more but I like it as a type of insurance. If you were ever in a pinch and you needed help go to the Embassy and show the card. It also puts the kids in a larger data base. Just my opinion.

We have a 4 & 5 year old who have both a state ID and a passport card. Getting through security is a breeze.

Archived