FLL hotels/activities?

Nigella

We are looking at a cruise that departs from Fort Lauderdale. We may want to arrive two days early. We're not sure whether to find a hotel in Miami, as we feel we may have more appropriate to our taste choices there, (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental) or to stay in FLL.

I have some doubts about Miami, perhaps because of watching too many episodes of Miami Vice during my misspent youth! :D

Initial research shows that there's a Ritz Carlton in FLL. We've experienced excellent, poor, and indifferent, service in RC's of late. Have any of you stayed in this specific hotel recently? I've had a look at Trip Advisor and the reviews are mixed.

Or can anyone recommend a good hotel there as an alternative to the RC?

And is there much to do/see in FLL? I would be content with shopping,watching the ships in port, and a couple of good dinners. My partner, however, may prefer to be more active and spend his time on more worthwhile pursuits!

If we decide to fly in one day pre-cruise, SS will arrange a hotel and transfers for us. Does anyone know which hotel they use in FLL?

Thr Ritz in Ft Lauderdale is on the beach so that makes it attractive. Haven't stayed there in years so can't speak to its condition or level of service lately. Typically when we cruise out of Ft Lauderdale we only fly in the day before and use my wife's hotel rewards for whatever chain for a suite for the night. I can't say much about Ft Lauderdale in terms of things to do. We've been in and around town so much that it's just another stop over for us rather than a destination. I'd probably do Miami but mostly because we haven't been there in years and years so it might be interesting and certainly different than Ft Lauderdale.

We are looking at a cruise that departs from Fort Lauderdale. We may want to arrive two days early. We're not sure whether to find a hotel in Miami, as we feel we may have more appropriate to our taste choices there, (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental) or to stay in FLL.

I have some doubts about Miami, perhaps because of watching too many episodes of Miami Vice during my misspent youth! :D

Initial research shows that there's a Ritz Carlton in FLL. We've experienced excellent, poor, and indifferent, service in RC's of late. Have any of you stayed in this specific hotel recently? I've had a look at Trip Advisor and the reviews are mixed.

Or can anyone recommend a good hotel there as an alternative to the RC?

And is there much to do/see in FLL? I would be content with shopping,watching the ships in port, and a couple of good dinners. My partner, however, may prefer to be more active and spend his time on more worthwhile pursuits!

If we decide to fly in one day pre-cruise, SS will arrange a hotel and transfers for us. Does anyone know which hotel they use in FLL?

We have stayed at that Ritz Carlton in FLL three times, most recently this past December. It used to be a St. Regis, and we stayed there when it was a St. Regis as well. It is a beautiful, stylish hotel across the street from the beach. It's not typically traditional, stuffy RC decor. The rooms we've had have been spacious, clean, comfortable and well-appointed with beautiful and large marble bathrooms. There are differences between the rooms on the Residence floor and the hotel floors. They also have a lovely club lounge, which is an extra charge but great to hang out in.

I would stay in FLL rather than MIA for the convenience. You can have a car service pick you up at Miami airport and take you to FLL so you can relax. The Ritz is about 15 minutes from Port Everglades.

There is a large shopping mall near the hotel, and there is an esplanade along the beach so if you want to shop and he wants to exercise you can do that. The hotel pool is on a high floor and overlooks the Atlantic. You wont be able to watch ships in port as the terminal is miles away and industrial in feel--I think it is one of the largest cruise terminals in the US if not the world.

The above being said, if you are looking for a lot of trendy restaurants, sort-of like South Beach in Miami, FLL is not the place. The restaurant at the hotel is very nice (outdoor dining) and their are other nice places along the avenue, but not the trendy, exciting, people-watching you would get in South Beach.

We did not arrange our hotel and transfers through Silversea, but we were flying into FLL rather than MIA. A friend who joined us flew into MIA from Heathrow and booked his limo from MIA (over the web) and hotel independently. I didn't find the RC that expensive, nor did he. I would probably price the components out independently and then decide. In addition, while we didn't use the Silversea transfers, each time we have stayed there prior to a Silversea cruise, the Silversea rep was there picking people up. So the RC is one of the hotels they use. They probably use the Hyatt Pier 66 too. But the RC is, I believe, the most upscale and convenient located to the cruise terminal in the area.

In terms of timing, if you fly into MIA, you'll probably arrive in the afternoon, need 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get your bags and clear customs and immigration, and then get in the car to go to FLL, which is probably 45 - 60 minute ride. So you won't get to the hotel until late afternoon, early evening. And if you don't stay an extra day, you'll most likely leave the hotel at noon the following day for the ship.

Which cruise are you thinking of?

Thanks very much to you both, you've given us plenty to think about.

And I do agree, the RC does look very attractive.

We would be likely flying into MIA from LHR as our other alternative would be to fly from Paris and we aren't crazy about Air France for longhaul business flights. We would be much happier with BA out of London. I think the flight arrives around 5pm so that's why I am trying to persuade my man to go for at least two days in Florida pre-cruise. Wish me luck with that one ;)

Herman, we are looking at the voyage 5209, FLL to BGI next April, and doing it back to back with the transatlantic 5210 BGI to Lisbon.

Herman, we are looking at the voyage 5209, FLL to BGI next April, and doing it back to back with the transatlantic 5210 BGI to Lisbon.

Well, I guess you liked the Silver Spirit in May then! ;)

That should be a lovely time of year in Florida and the Caribbean.

I too stayed at the RC when it was a St. Regis and loved it. The views are wonderful, the service was great and I enjoyed the restaurant. I think for a 2 day pre cruise stay it's great.

The Ritz is great,if you look out to the ocean across the street from the lobby,it looks like you are on a ship looking out your window from your cabin and the staff said that's the way it was designed. :::

Nigella, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth, if you don't mind...

The Four Seasons in Bal Harbour (north of Miami) is devine with the usual 4 Season's beauty and high level of service. Away from the main drag of Miami, but close enough to experience it if you want. Right across the street from some serious designer shopping. I stayed a few years ago, but can't imagine that it's changed that much.

We have also stayed in the Ritz near Palm Beach (north of Fort Lauderdale) in the past and the hotel is very nice. It's actually rather south fo PB on the water in a place called Manalapan. We were in Florida last month but opted to stay in PB proper but visited the RC in Manalapan for the day because we heard such amazing things about their spa (Eau Spa). If you are spa enthusiasts (sp?), THIS spa is NOT to be missed!!!

FYI, we flew in and out of Ft. Lauderdale and hired a limo (stretch showed up, pretty funny) from the airport to Palm Beach for $120USD each way and it was around an hour, give or take. Manalapan would be about 15-20 minutes closer to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

If you like fine dining and great shopping then I recommend staying in Palm Beach proper. We stayed at The Brizillian Court and Beach Club (not on the beach, but provides transportation to another hotel's beach club). We did not have a car rental and enjoyed walking to all the best restaurants on Worth Avenue and all the lovely shops on Worth as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you to each for all your help. Especially thanks for the votes of confidence in the RC in FLL, the comments have reassured me.

However, the Palm Beach suggestion is appealing too. We have actually been to Palm Beach around 20 years ago (where did the time go?!), and liked it very much. If we do two days we may well choose the Palm Beach option.

Decisions to be made! There again I am grateful that we have such wonderful choices to make :)

Nigella, If you do choose the Palm Beach option and stay at the Brizillian Court, I STRONGLY suggest that you take the option of becoming a member of the Leading Hotels of the World Club. It costs $100 for a year membership, but it will give you two complimentary breakfasts each morning of your stays in LHW hotels AND a free upgrade from whatever you booked. Other perks too, but these two perks that I mentioned pays for the fee in only 1 night stay :)

Also, if you enjoy smaller boutique-ish type hotels, Brazillian Court is perfect. BUT if you like big resort styles, look at The Breakers. I stayed there a few years ago and it was HUGE but VERY elegant.

I can give you restaurant options if you wish for PB if you go that route. Good travels to you!

Archived