What's with the cruise workers Groupies?

repo-cruiser

Wanting to give pictures to stewards, giving little candies as treats, having a steward party and drink with you on your balcony(a firable offense by the way), wanting to knit something for them??? You people are groupies. You pay your tips and if they go way above and beyond tip them extra. To patronize them is sad. As one who did that job I absolutely refused these handouts, I told them I am working and its my job, quit trying to pity me. I guess if you run out to the mailma who is working extremely hard and give him candy, bring candy to the grocery store for the cashier who is working hard, bring candy or books to the strabucks employee serving your coffee i'd get it. People please quit treating these people like dogs. A simple thank You will suffice. :mad:

I guess if you run out to the mailma who is working extremely hard and give him candy, bring candy to the grocery store for the cashier who is working hard, bring candy or books to the strabucks employee serving your coffee i'd get it.

I use to deliver mail and I got all kinds of treats from customers. Especially around Christmas, so your analogy is way off. You are comparing someone you see for a week to someone you see and interact with 6 days a week.

Wanting to give pictures to stewards, giving little candies as treats, having a steward party and drink with you on your balcony(a firable offense by the way), wanting to knit something for them??? You people are groupies. You pay your tips and if they go way above and beyond tip them extra. To patronize them is sad. As one who did that job I absolutely refused these handouts, I told them I am working and its my job, quit trying to pity me. I guess if you run out to the mailma who is working extremely hard and give him candy, bring candy to the grocery store for the cashier who is working hard, bring candy or books to the strabucks employee serving your coffee i'd get it. People please quit treating these people like dogs. A simple thank You will suffice. :mad:

I've gotta agree that some of the posts I see on here are a little strange... To them, you are another person... on another week. To you, they are a friend for life who should give you their e-mail address, let you know when they will be on vacation and someone who should remember you 5 years later when you happen to see them on a ship. Kinda odd.

The one that gets me is the cruise who post about the CD and how they didn't spend enough time with them. I mean, hey, they are a paying customer, so the CD should remember them by name and become their BFF simply because you "volunteered" for some newlywed game or something.

I try to take things for what they are worth... a vacation, good memories, good times... and move on :)

Angry much?

Groupies? No. Someone who is trying to show someone else that they appreciate them, yes. It's good manners, as is graciously saying thank you when you receive a gift...any gift. No one pitied you, but you. It's a shame that you could not appreciate what people were trying to do for you.

Groupies? No. Someone who is trying to show someone else that they appreciate them, yes. It's good manners, as is graciously saying thank you when you receive a gift...any gift. No one pitied you, but you. It's a shame that you could not appreciate what people were trying to do for you.

I agree 100%

Just so you know, I have made friends with a few of the workers on Carnival. It's nice to interact with them on the ship and become great friends. Even after my cruise was over, we still saw each other. When the ship would come into port for a diff. cruise the workers are allowed to get off and hang out or whatever. I have meet up with them a lot and to this day we are very close:) If I hadn't meet them and exchanged information with them we would have never became friends!! I value there friendship!! They even skype me when they are on the ship!! Don't be jealous that they didn't like you enough to become a "carnival groupie"!!

I somewhat agree... A gift is always nice if they give good service... money works great. But... some people take it to the very extreme. I see posts that just seem so patronizing and make the cabin attendants and waiters look like little kids. If they do a great job... throw them extra green... it's always appreciated. Partonizin them by leaving worthless chach-keys... a little much.

Just my 2 cents.

This sums up how I feel on the subject. I posted it in another thread that OP was complaining about the same subject in before he created this thread.

" IMO giving Candy isn't patronizing and sure I'd give candy to the mailman or a doctor etc.. why not? Being thoughtful is never a bad thing. I work in while collar career and people bring me tiny, inexpensive, gifts such as candy from time to time and I don't find it patronizing at all. Even if I don't want the gift... I think it was sure nice of them to think of me. I also agree that money is the best tip, but a little chocolate is a nice additional gift."

This sums up how I feel on the subject. I posted it in another thread that OP was complaining about the same subject in before he created this thread.

" IMO giving Candy isn't patronizing and sure I'd give candy to the mailman or a doctor etc.. why not? Being thoughtful is never a bad thing. I work in while collar career and people bring me tiny, inexpensive, gifts such as candy from time to time and I don't find it patronizing at all. Even if I don't want the gift... I think it was sure nice of them to think of me. I also agree that money is the best tip, but a little chocolate is a nice additional gift."

That's just "sily"

i agree. i wouldn't frattenize with a butler or cleaning lady at home, and am not sure why people would do this on a ship or a hotel.

There are a lot of threads on this topic recently.

I agree that giving candy/gift bags to staff is patronizing and treating them like children.

They are adults who want cash tips if you are pleased with their work. Of course you should speak kindly and thank them but goodie bags?? I think not!

I hope you all don't bring goody bags to give out when you stay in hotels on land!!

I work for the government and had a client offer to send me flowers because he was happy that I was able to (finally) help him sort out his issue. It's not just cruise ship workers that people want to do nice things for.

While I support the idea of extra cash tip (instead of gifts), at least these people are thinking about the people serving them and not having the attitude that because of their jobs, they are lesser people who should bow and scrap everytime the customer is near.

I agree that giving candy/gift bags to staff is patronizing and treating them like children.

They are adults who want cash tips if you are pleased with their work. Of course you should speak kindly and thank them but goodie bags?? I think not!

I hope you all don't bring goody bags to give out when you stay in hotels on land!!

I give my kids teachers gifts for teaching my children, my landlord lives under me when he comes upstairs to give my cat water when I'm away I give gifts . I think the thing is people are just showing the steward how much they appreciate them by keeping their room clean, or being very helpful , making sure you have a good time. It not about being a groupie just basically doing things from the heart.

Well said, I agree.

Hmmm....

I recently started one of those threads.

I DO leave little gifts for my postwoman. Especially during holiday times, cute little stuffed animals, cards, cookies, etc.

From what I read, the cruise people work hard. I don't have an extra $20 for everyone who helps me or is really good at their job, but buying some candy or trinkets is a way I could "spread the love" a little more. A $5 bag of candy and gum is a lot more economical for my pocket!

I ALWAYS say thank you, even when service is horrible. I always smile, say hello especially to those who are providing me a service, but I am soooo horrible with names!

I like giving gifts no matter how small, it's my way of saying "Thanks for being so awesome!"

I do my job, get paid, but I am always especially touched when a patient or family member remembers me and/or gives me and my partner something small. They offer us drinks, candy, one gave me a tiny cross and jesus mints (and I'm an atheist!) I never felt like they were treating me like a child, it just felt really cool that they appreciated my service that much!

I give my kids teachers gifts for teaching my children, my landlord lives under me when he comes upstairs to give my cat water when I'm away I give gifts . I think the thing is people are just showing the steward how much they appreciate them by keeping their room clean, or being very helpful , making sure you have a good time. It not about being a groupie just basically doing things from the heart.

And there are teachers, like me, who are uncomfortable receiving gifts from parents. I'm a professional doing my job, and to me, gifts are at best patronizing, and at worst an attempt to buy my favor come report card time. A thank you is plenty.

I will start off by saying I don't think that anyone that leaves gifts are trying to treat the stewards like children, they are obviously very gracious of the service they have received and are trying to express that to their hosts.

That being said from nearly every crew member I have talked to I almost always hear the same story that closely resembles the content of trying to make money to send home or for their family ect. What this tells me is they work very hard all week every week with the hopes of getting a little bonus at the end. Even though I enjoy spreading the Rider pride I am sure they would appreciate a monetary gift over a Saskatchewan Roughrider t-shirt.

And there are teachers, like me, who are uncomfortable receiving gifts from parents. I'm a professional doing my job, and to me, gifts are at best patronizing, and at worst an attempt to buy my favor come report card time. A thank you is plenty.

Wow, really?:(

Couldn't they at best be the physical manifestations of genuine feelings of gratitude and goodwill?

I feel sorry for you.:(

I just have to do this but first...A small gift goes a long way...My ex-wife had a Christmas pin she wore for years that her grandmother gave her. On a Celebrity 11 night cruise at Christmas the young lady that did the wine service in the MDR was great. She also everyday was in the Lido area of that ship and came to visit us at every lunch. One day out of nowhere my ex said I want to give her this pin that meant so much to her. The young lady said I couldn't and the ex said please my grand mother would have wanted you to have it....She was born in the same town as her in Poland.....

This young lady was far away from home and for her first Christmas at sea on a cruise ship working and was thousands of miles away from home...She cried...The hugs and kisses kept coming....

This trinket was worth little money but much to my ex....And much to the young lady on that ship far away from home at Christmas....We never saw her without it after the ex gave it to here....Even one day on shore....

Little things make a difference in all our lives....

As to the "OP" I was going to say something snide about your post but after thinking about it, you won"t understand....:(

I agree. And I agree with HWH. A child giving their teacher a gift is cute. A parent giving their child's teacher a gift is weird.

So it is weird for my daughter to give her teacher a potted flower at the end of the school year and a restaurant gift certificate (because what teacher needs more knick-knacks? but everyone eats) and chocolates at Christmas?

Even though my DD hands them to her teacher, of course the child didn't buy these things herself. So they are coming from her parent.:rolleyes: Just wanted to get this clear. OK. I guess this act makes me weird.:cool:

For the record, to get back on topic - I agree with those that say just give the stewards cash and a thank you card and treat them with the respect that you would want to receive.

But I totally disagree with the tone of the OP.

I just have to do this but first...A small gift goes a long way...My ex-wife had a Christmas pin she wore for years that her grandmother gave her. On a Celebrity 11 night cruise at Christmas the young lady that did the wine service in the MDR was great. She also everyday was in the Lido area of that ship and came to visit us at lunch. One day out of nowhere my ex said I want to give her this pin that meant so much to her. The young lady said I couldn't and the ex said please my gramd mother would have wanted you to have it....She was born in the same town as her in Poland.....

This young lady was far away from home and for her first Christmas on a cruise ship was thousands of miles away from home...She cried...The hugs and kisses kept coming....

This trinket was worth little money but much to my ex....And much to the young lady on that ship far away from home at Christmas....

As to the "OP" I was going to say something snide about your post but after thinking about the people that help me and enhance my cruise I have after wriiten the above understand you won't get it....:(

That was really sweet of your ex.:) So thoughtful and touching.

So it is weird for my daughter to give her teacher a potted flower at the end of the school year and a restaurant gift certificate (because what teacher needs more knick-knacks? but everyone eats) and chocolates at Christmas?

Even though my DD hands them to her teacher, of course the child didn't buy these things herself. So they are coming from her parent.:rolleyes: Just wanted to get this clear. OK. I guess this act makes me weird.:cool:

For the record, to get back on topic - I agree with those that say just give the stewards cash and a thank you card and treat them with the respect that you would want to receive.

But I totally disagree with the tone of the OP.

Yea, that's weird.. If she made a picture to give to her teacher, that's cute. If she gave her an Outback gift card that you bought, that's weird..

Archived