shopping for wine in venice

shackpacker

We loved trying the local wines in Italy, Spain, and Greece on our Oceania cruises. After a day of sightseeing, sitting out on our balcony, looking at the port we had just toured, enjoying a glass of wine was lovely.

And if you happen by one of the little shops that sells to locals, you'll know it when you see it, make sure you stop in and pick some wine up there, they'l sell you a jug of some sort to carry it back with you. Very, very fun experience and it will be almost impossible to find them again!

Sailing on Marina out of Venice on Sept 7th... our first cruise. What is the rule (?) about bringing alcohol onboard? I'd guess that, if you can bring it, you must drink it in your room. I don't want to board loaded with bottles and find that we have to turn it in for storage until we disembark! Also.. hard liquor.

Boy, do I sound like a lush!! *grin*

Sailing on Marina out of Venice on Sept 7th... our first cruise. What is the rule (?) about bringing alcohol onboard? I'd guess that, if you can bring it, you must drink it in your room. I don't want to board loaded with bottles and find that we have to turn it in for storage until we disembark! Also.. hard liquor.

Boy, do I sound like a lush!! *grin*

Alcohol & beer allowed for consumption in your cabin

Wine can be taken to the dining venues but there is a corkage fee of $20.

or you can just drink it in your cabin no charge ;)

Just received an e-mail from Oceania. Officially they allow no more than 3 bottles of wine to be brought onto the ship per stateroom per cruise. They do NOT allow any bottles of liquor or beer--but how would they ever be able to enforce that, I wonder? I think the policy is intended to serve merely as a deterrent.

I brought a small bottle of Absolut on our May-June Med cruise, it was left out in the stateroom all cruise, and no one said anything. What would they do, make you throw it out or chug-a-lug it on the spot, like at the airport security checkpoint? Ludicrous. I would ignore it.

(I wouldn't bring a case of wine or an entire cocktail bar of bottles onboard, however. That much might be sequestered and returned at the end of the cruise.)

• 3 weeks later...
Just received an e-mail from Oceania. Officially they allow no more than 3 bottles of wine to be brought onto the ship per stateroom per cruise. They do NOT allow any bottles of liquor or beer--but how would they ever be able to enforce that, I wonder? I think the policy is intended to serve merely as a deterrent.

I brought a small bottle of Absolute on our May-June Med cruise, it was left out in the stateroom all cruise, and no one said anything. What would they do, make you throw it out or chug-a-lug it on the spot, like at the airport security checkpoint? Ludicrous. I would ignore it.

(I wouldn't bring a case of wine or an entire cocktail bar of bottles onboard, however. That much might be sequestered and returned at the end of the cruise.)

We did a 14 day Med cruise last Sept. and took a few bottles of wine and some Vodka and Rum abaord when we embarked with no problems.

Unofficially... I believe that as long as you act as an adult and do not take advantage of their policy allowing you to take bottles aboard with you, they look the other way. We were very aware of their policy and consumed our "private" stock in our cabin only, and did not take it with us out of the cabin. We also bought a couple of bottles of wine ashore and brought them back to the ship and took them to dinner and paid the corkage fee about 3-4 evenings. Other evenings, we took the suggestion of the wine steward. The price was not too bad especially if you considered what the bottle of wine purchased ashore costs when added to the corkage fee. We bought some in the various ports to get an appreciation for the local wines.

And I also thought the price of mixed drinks abaord were reasonable... especially if you took advantage of their specials and 2-fer-1 drinks.

Just "play nice" with "O" and spread the money around at the bars once in a while and I don't think you'll have any hassles about taking a bottle of whatever into your cabin from home.

Our cruise on "O" was the absolute best experience we ever had on any vacation.

on all counts.

the other thing i'd mention is that based on my experience, the markup on wines you buy on board is horrendous. you'd normally expect 3 to 1 in a restaurant.

went to a wine tasting on our last cruise (alaska, june 29) and they were selling a bottle of amarone for $125. i've seen the same bottle locally here in fort worth for $32. now i can't say this is true universally on board (4 to 1), but i'll bet it is.

our strategy is to buy wines on shore that we know and like, and, even after corkage fee, they are better buys than what you would buy on board.

We would like to bring some wine on board before we sail. Where is a good place to buy wine in Venice? We've never been there and don't want to get lost!:D Can we buy wine at the airport when we go through there?

the best thing about beautiful Venice is definetly getting lost ;)

There are several "mom & pop" grocery stores across from San Basilio (sp) where a bottle or two can be purchased. Perhaps not the best price but convenient and cheaper than the ship. There are no Costcos in Venice:D.

If you are visiting other Italian ports you can always restock.

We like Manhattans so we brought bourbon at duty free in the US and bought a bottle of sweet vermouth at the "mom & pop".

Don't worry, you won't go thirsty!

went to a wine tasting on our last cruise (alaska, june 29) and they were selling a bottle of amarone for $125. i've seen the same bottle locally here in fort worth for $32. now i can't say this is true universally on board (4 to 1), but i'll bet it is.

Sorry for getting off-topic...browsing through the wine list on Oceania's website, the 2004 Masi Amarone is indeed $125 or something close to that...

However, bear in mind that the 2004 vintage is a really good year for the Masi Amarone and I would believe that it would be way more than $32. I could be mistaken though.

But you are correct that a lot of the $10-20 wines are "marked up to 4-to-1"...

Archived