Platinum on Princess

workstocruise

The real perks with Princess begin when you sail over 15 cruises or over 150 days. Elite status is where the best perks are, and IMHO, those Elite perks are the best in the business. :)

All of the perks for each status are listed on the Princess website here: https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

But after you make Platinum you will receive these additions: complimentary internet minutes (number of minutes depend on the lenth of your cruise), preferred boarding, and the Platinum/Elite disembarkation lounge. As well as the upgrade insurance for the price of the lesser insurance plan.

It's been so many years since we have sailed on RCI that I have no idea what the comparison would be between their past guest program and Princess.

Can anyone tell me the advantages of being platinum on Princess. We have sailed three times with Princess but are already platinum on RCI. They seem to have a better platinum package. Do you agree?:confused:
The Platinum on RCCL and Princess appear to be equal. While RCCL has other levels with increased benefits, they don't come close to Princess. They don't have the insurance, Internet packages, unlimited laundry/pressing, free mini-bar set-up, canapes on formal nights, etc.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/jsp/memberShipBenefitsForProspect.jsp

I agree with the prior posters. Overall, the Princess loyalty program is better than RCI, HAL, and Celebrity. Their elite status can't be beat (it is harder to achieve too). If you are trying to decide on lines to sail based on the loyalty program, my advice is Princess is the way to go.

I love the free internet package offered to platinum past passengers. That has been my favorite perk so far.

Of course I enjoy the past passenger lounge available to wait in during disembarkation for platinum and elite and the discounted pricing that is available to all past Princess passengers.

Royal Caribbean’s loyalty program looks pretty lame. You have to be platinum before they give you a robe. Princess gives you that on your first sailing. It seems that some of the benefits come with a price such as a discount on an upgrade. You still have to shell out extra money and some benefits even have exceptions which are indicated by the foot note number next to the benefit. What exactly is the benefit of priority waitlist seating request in main dining room ?

Royal Caribbean’s loyalty program looks pretty lame. You have to be platinum before they give you a robe. Princess gives you that on your first sailing. It seems that some of the benefits come with a price such as a discount on an upgrade. You still have to shell out extra money and some benefits even have exceptions which are indicated by the foot note number next to the benefit. What exactly is the benefit of priority waitlist seating request in main dining room ?
RCCL doesn't allow TAs to discount so that perk is more prized than on Princess, which does allow discounts. On Princess, you can find a TA that will discount a group rate, discount part of their commission to their customers, and give you perks such as an OBC, bottle of wine, coupon for dinner in a specialty restaurant, etc. The cruiseline's rate is just the starting point as you can often do much, much better with a good TA. As a result, the past passenger discount is almost meaningless.

As a result, the past passenger discount is almost meaningless.

I kinda hate to contradict you, but that depends. On my upcoming Alaska cruise, Princess' past-passenger discount brought the price down by 20% from that offered to first-timers, and my TA was able to discount that still further, making for about 28% off the non-past-passenger fare. I seriously doubt the TA would have been able to offer that fare to someone without a CC number.

I kinda hate to contradict you, but that depends. On my upcoming Alaska cruise, Princess' past-passenger discount brought the price down by 20% from that offered to first-timers, and my TA was able to discount that still further, making for about 28% off the non-past-passenger fare. I seriously doubt the TA would have been able to offer that fare to someone without a CC number.
A 20% past passenger discount is pretty unusual. And, a good discount TA can give their customers an excellent discount, often up to 20% or more, whether or not you are a past passenger. It all depends on the cruise, category, group booking and when you book. I bet you don't get a 28% discount with every cruise you book. :)

Archived