Men's advice needed!!

spcopps

[quote name='spcopps']The cost is here is between $150-$200 depending on year. I know he is trying to make it special that's why I didn't want to hurt his feelings;). I guess I can always make a mimosa after our departure toast..Got a question, can we have the left over sent to the dining room and pay the corkage fee for dinners or are you only allowed to do either in room or dining room??[/quote]

just got off miracle and we had 4 adults so brought aboard 4 bottles of real tasty red wine. We were never charged a corkage fee. I also tipped the server and assistant server the first night of cruise the moment I pretty much met them.

funny thing is this:

most Americans enjoy a bottle of Korbel, or freixenet or even Chandon.....these are all sparkling wines.

Many people once they drink a real bottle of champagne don't even like it.

I for one can't stomach korbel, freix and I would probably throw up on Asti or Andre......but love a good bottle of champagne.....even though I can drink a cheap red.

[quote name='snoodel']If you or him have never had Dom, and he is doing this as a Gesture or just to make it "Special" I would think twice. It really is not that good, IMHO. I have had it on 2 occasions, and never finished the 1st glass either time. Just not the best tasting, again, IMHO.
Would much rather have a nice Asti instead.
Enjoy :)[/quote]

Dom is very tasty....so many better for less...but Dom has that Stigma of being "special" and a luxury drink....

[quote name='FloridaMimi']I agree.:D Why spend $200 on a beverage that when it's gone, it's gone. It doesn't matter what or who's label it has on it. What a waste. Now jewelry or some type of experience or activity where there is actual memories or a tangible item makes more sense. I would fall over in a dead faint:eek: if my DH spent that kind of money on alcohol of any kind. :(:eek:.[/quote]

I respectfully beg to differ. It is about the moment and enjoying a luxury in life that we don't always get to enjoy....To me jewelry is the biggest waste. why waste money on a diamond when you can get a nice looking Cubic Z knockoff that looks great. and don't tell me about diamonds holding value cause anyone that has tried to sell one knows they don't

He wants to do this for both of you. Let him. It may be expensive but apparantley he feels it's doable. He's aware of the finances in the household and I'm sure has thought about this.

Just a bunch of assumptions by me. My 2 cents worth. I know how I would feel if my wife said don't.

I would definitely let him buy it for you both to enjoy and don't even think about what else you could have bought. There is something about Dom Perignon on a special occasion, and the fact that your DH has already mentioned it means he's excited about doing this. Why not buy a champagne stopper before you go so you don't have to drink it all at once if you don't want to, but save some for the next evening as well. These do work (not that it's very often we don't finish the bottle in one go!).

[quote name='valtandc']just got off miracle and we had 4 adults so brought aboard 4 bottles of real tasty red wine. We were never charged a corkage fee. I also tipped the server and assistant server the first night of cruise the moment I pretty much met them.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you get it. You tipped first thing probably 10 to 20 bucks, and saved so much because of it. If you want special treatment. throw a lil cash around first thing. You will be treated like kings.

Sometimes you have to put the money aside and go with the flow. Next year is our 50th. wedding anniversary. We have cruised in inside rooms as well as outside rooms but for this cruise I reserved a two room suite with a balcony larger than any room we ever stayed in. At first my wife thought about the money but I convinced her that we are only going to have ONE 50th. anniversary and we can't take the money with us when we leave this Earth. She now is getting excited about the cruise.......

[quote name='Blondie008']Sorry but Korbel is no way as nice as a Dom! Life is short, go pop that cork, and ENJOY!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I agree! Once you taste Dom it's hard to go back to anything else. I suggest that you do it - let him make this cruise special for you - and stop worrying about the money!

I liked Dom P. but for the money, I liked Korbel just as much so hubby knows I don't ever need Dom P again. I know Korbel isn't really champagne but sparkling wine but it is easier to catagorize it as champagne. I don't like Asti, however.

Archived