Tundra Wilderness Tour - timing

oaktreerb

Early morning and late evening seem to be the best for both wild life viewing and views of the Mountain, although you can see animals any time of the day. The most important thing is distance into the park with a minimum of the TWT or shuttle to Eielson.

We did the TWT on 7/3 on the 8 am departure. We saw 2 moose, 14 Caribou, 22- Dahl sheep, 2 fox, a wolf. and a Grizzley bear for an ultimate "Grand Slam." Awesome scenery and an outstanding experience. We got back to the lodge at around 4 pm.

Anyone who does the Natural History tour, misses out on Denali Park.

Those who have been on this tour several times may have an opinion as to which time is best for wildlife viewing--morning or afternoon? When have your views of Mt McKinley been best -- morning or afternoon?

We took the morning tour and saw all types of wildlife. However, please note that seeing McKinley really has nothing to do with the time of day. You either get lucky or you don't. In 2009 we saw the gorgeous mountian for three straight days. Only about 20% of travelers ever get to see the summit. I hope you do as it is marvelous to see.

Cheers, Kenn

please note that seeing McKinley really has nothing to do with the time of day. You either get lucky or you don't.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Often the Mountain appears late at night or early in the morning. Having been to Denali countless times, I have most often seen it after the shuttle buses stop operating, i.e. between 11pm and about 6am. By early- to mid-morning clouds often cover the Mountain, when very late or very early it is visible. I have seen the Mountain every visit to Denali except once. But I am not a "typical" visitor (two nights, one quick bus ride into the park, move onto the next destination type). I spend multiple nights in the park every visit.

I certainly do agree with frugaltravel as I have slept on the ground in Denai NP. The best views of Denali are often when the day trippers are gone.

My success rate is no where near as good as frugaltravel's.

Wish that they were! I am at about 30%.

I had one spectacular sighting on Denali when taking out of town visitors on a TWT run out the park road, but the driver had a schedule to keep and drove us away from it. I was really irritated with that but my visitors didn't know the difference.

Viewing any mountain is going to be best as the sun rises and just before it sets, this has to do with the dew point, temperature, and altitude. At mid day the sun is at it's highest and the air along the ground is at it's warmest, causing air to rise. As warm air rises it reaches the colder air above, when the temperature and dew point get to within 2 degrees clouds/fog forms. Given the high altitude difference between sea level and the peak of McKinley it is very likely that clouds will form at some altitude between it's base and peak on most days.

The exception to all of this is the presence of storm systems or very high pressure systems that either cover the area in clouds or blow them all away. The bottom line is if you really want to see the mountain do a flight tour and schedule it for the evening when the clouds are evaporating because the temperature is dropping.

Archived