zipline excursion

Hi All,

A few questions about the zipline excursion.

1. I have a bad back and neck, will the sudden stop at the end jolt me?

2. Is it a bumpy ride?

Thanks

HF

1. Yes, most likely but the jolt will depend on how fast you're going down the zipline.

2. No, not at all. You just slide down the rope. It can be a little windy and in that case you might sway a bit, but it's not bumpy.

*if your neck/back issues are enough of a concern that you are worried about the zipline, don't do it. IMO, while it is an amazing ride - would you really want to jeopardize your enjoyment of the rest of the trip (and your general health & wellbeing) for a 2 minute slide?

I have bulging discs in my neck and lower back. We did the zipline at Antigua. We never went fast enough down the lines there to have a bumpy ride or jolt at the end. Different lines might be different though.

I wouldn't be caught dead doing it=I'm scared of heights-Especially moving on a contrapction like that-I'll leave it to the younger folks

I'll be 51 when I sail next March. I'm planning to do a zipline excursion - thanks for calling me young! We haven't been able to book one in the past because dd was too young.

We plan on trying snuba and maybe an ATV excursion. I know I'm not acting my age, but what fun is that?:D:D

I am wanting to do the zipline and was going to reserve it ahead of time.

The problem is that I do not see it listed in the excursions. The coaster is availabe, but not the zipline. Does anyone have any info.

My cruise is 12/11/11.

Thanks for all your replies.

Don't flame me for the next question; are you hooked in a harness to prevent you falling out?

LOL No flaming here! :p

Yes, you are in a harness! You step into it (like you were putting on pants or something) and when it's hooked up to the device that helps you zip down the cable, it sort of has a seat that goes under your bottom. I'm not quite sure how to explain it.

It's definitely not comfortable for waiting around in. Try to get on the zipline early before it gets uncomfortable (and/or you lose your nerve!). It's a beautiful ride down and worth any minor discomfort. It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just bulky & weird.

I am 60 my wife is 65 we both did Zip Lines twice and had no problems at all. I have neck problems and my wife sometimes has back problems but the Zip Lines were a smooth ride. The Harness is what is supporting your weight you only hold on for safety. I weigh 225 and the harness was comfortable. It wasn't at all scary it was fun. My wife isn't real crazy about heights but she did fine. She must have liked it because we did it again. The manner in which they stop you is probably the most important factor. If you are worried, try to watch a couple of others stopping and see how smooth it looks.

I'll be 51 when I sail next March. I'm planning to do a zipline excursion - thanks for calling me young! We haven't been able to book one in the past because dd was too young.

We plan on trying snuba and maybe an ATV excursion. I know I'm not acting my age, but what fun is that?:D:D

You are young. I was at least 60 the first time I ziplined and have done it several times since then

You are young. I was at least 60 the first time I ziplined and have done it several times since then

It really depends which zipline you are talking about, the one in Cabo is more than just a zipline with lots of uphill climbing, rope ladders, stationery ladders, commando bridge, rappelling etc. and you are wearing the harness which is heavy the whole time. Also a bumpy ride in the back of a truck getting to the site so depends how bad your back and neck problems are. I did it when I was 70 to celebrate my B-Day and would do it again in a minute but husband says no (he didn't know until after the first one )!!!!! The heat is another factor while climbing up the trails, in fact that did me in before I could do the last zipline back to camp.

The shorter practice zipline at Labadee packs a pretty good jolt at the end. The big zipline is very smooth and a great ride.

That's for sure! The practice line was a much stronger jolt for me too!

Thanks for all your replies. It has been most helpful.

Do they only have the zipline in labadee, not in CoCocay? I will be going to both but I thought they might have it in both private islands.

So you lay down to do this not stand up? I envisioned you standing not lying.

Goes to show you what I don't know.

Thanks again.

HF

We ziplined in labadee and it was alot of fun...they first take you on a practice short zipline so you know what to do... then they drive you up to the big zipline...It was awesome! You are not laying down...to me it is more kind of like in a sitting position...

I don't remember it being at cococay... we did jet skiing there and were suppose to do parasailing, but it ended up storming and we had to leave cococay early:(

Have fun!

Thanks for all your replies. It has been most helpful.

Do they only have the zipline in labadee, not in CoCocay? I will be going to both but I thought they might have it in both private islands.

So you lay down to do this not stand up? I envisioned you standing not lying.

Goes to show you what I don't know.

Thanks again.

HF

No zipline in Cococay (unless it has been recently & very quietly added).

You are in a seated position for the zipline, just like if you were sitting on a swing. I would guess it to be about 2 minutes long or so of actual "zipline" time.

Archived