cruising with a 18 year old

mdkz26

Nervous parent am I. Last time my oldest went on a cruise she was 14 and I had the comfort and security of the kids club however she will be 18 almost 19 when we go on our next cruise in January. It will just be my husband, my youngest child (12) myself and her going. What can she do? I would like to have some alone time with the hubby however I am nervous about who she will "meet" on the cruise. She isn't the most mature 18 year old and would prob. fit right in with the 17 year olds in the kids club (can she sneak in?) She is also concerned since she doesn't want to hang with us all day either.

Thanks

mdkz

She will be fine. Pick the right cruise line and everything should be ok. My the sons have been cruising for about 10 years, every year. They do just great. They always meet girls and hang out with them on the ships. Most cruisers have a little more class than your average person. I would shy away from Carnival. Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity would work out great for you. :rolleyes:

The key is to have a few discussions with her as you get closer to the cruise to go over the rules. You should talk about do's and don't's and have rules about what time she should be back to the room and not to bring others to the room.

I think she is too old for the kid's club. Children her age will just hang out together.

Keith

At 18, she's not going to want to be with the "kids"...she'll do what the adults do...except (perhaps!) for drinking. She can gamble, dance the night away in the adult dance club, hang at the pool or sports deck...she's an "adult" (legally, if not in your mind!!) now...she'll find plenty to entertain her.

She will not be able to "sneak" into the 17 and under groups....they will know her age.

18 seems to be a tough age to cruise. Too old for the kids clubs (no one older than 17 allowed unfortunately), but not old enough to join the club scene. Hopefully there will be others onboard her age she can hang out with.

My 19 yoa DD and 18 yoa niece just got off the Navigator of the Seas Med cruise a couple of weeks ago. There were plenty of students near their age. They never had a problem finding additional ones to hang out with.

I do echo that Royal Caribbean is a good choice since it cators to families. I would also say to check into Carnival. We've always been pleased with Carnival and there are more similarities than differences between the two lines.

The more expensive the cruise line, the less number of teens will likely be on board. Families tend to frequent the more reasonably priced lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived