Missed Connection

BLAMBKY

I have bought insurance from Travel Guard for my Oct. Cruise. One of our ports is F, Jamaica. Would the "missed connection" cover missing the ship, if our private (Pete Taylor Tours) was late getting us back to the ship?:confused:

It seems like everyone suggest private tours to save $$ but with this new port they scare you to death about missing the ship!:eek:

TIA!

"Missed connection" definition would have wording to the effect somewhere in conjuction with "Common Carrier".

Pete Taylor Tours would not fall under the definition of "Common Carrier".

However, I have been known to be mistaken in the past.

"Missed connection" definition would have wording to the effect somewhere in conjuction with "Common Carrier".

Pete Taylor Tours would not fall under the definition of "Common Carrier".

However, I have been known to be mistaken in the past.

Actually, Travel Guard uses a fairly broad definition of "common carrier":

""Common Carrier" means an air, land, or sea conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire."

I could see how Peat Taylor Tours could fall under that definition but I'd certainly check with the insurer.

Here's the Missed Connection coverage from the Protect Assist plan. Travel Guard has lots of plans and the coverage may vary from plan to plan:

"MISSED CONNECTION

If while on a Trip the Insured misses a Trip departure resulting from cancellation or delay of 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or Common Carrier caused delay, the Insurer will reimburse the Insured up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule for:

1. additional transportation expenses incurred by the Insured to join the departed Trip;

2. pre-paid, non-refundable trip payments for the unused portion of the Trip.

The Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight."

Note the 3 hour minimum delay time to invoke the coverage. Miss the ship by 15 minutes and you're out of luck. And I'd be willing to bet that it's almost impossible to be 3 hours late on a local tour around Ocho Rios. Even if the tour vehicle breaks down cabs are everywhere. I think you're best off making your decision to use a ship-sponsored tour or an independent tour with the assumption that travel insurance won't help you if your return is delayed.

Archived