Drink specials

DiploTraveler

So, I've read that beverage cards can't be used for drink specials and happy hour. Can you give me some examples of drink specials you've seen and when happy hour is? I'm booked on the N.A. and I'm trying to decide if the card would work for me. Thanks.

Happy hours that we went to offer 2 for 1 drinks--house liquors. Some specials are their own concoctions and are a little bit more including a HAL glass. Hopefully some other cruiser will have added info to mine.

On our Nieuw Amsterdam the Beverage Cards could not be used for Happy Hour -- it was the 2 for 1 drinks -- had to be the same drink.

The Happy Hours were: -- 4 - 5 in the Ocean Bar and 5 - 6 in the Explorer Lounge.

I think there was one later somewhere else on the ship -- I don't remember.

We don't drink the specials so can't help you there.

Remember -- this can all change by the time you get on the ship.

There does not seem to be much consistency between the various ships and cruises with the drink cards or Happy Hours. For example, we were recently on the Prinsendam (51 days) and had 2 happy hours every day (4-5 and 6-7) where you paid full price for your first drink (Signature Drinks and other drinks not costing more then 6.95) and you got a 2nd drink for $1. For part of the cruise we could use the drink card for the first drink and our regular card for the $1 2nd drink but this was changed (during our cruise) to allow us to use drink cards for all drinks (except at the aft pool where they did not seem to know the policy). A week later we cruised on the Rotterdam where they never had any kind of decent Happy Hour (they did have a discounted drink of the day).

Hank

Why would it matter??

You pay for the drink cards, some are just a flat rate like a $50 beverage card right? What does it matter how you spend the money?

Sounds silly and unorganized to me.

IF there are restrictions, they need to be posted on said card and detailed before purchase.

That is only fair!

On the Amsterdam we were able to use our beverage card for all drinks, in all bars, even in the dining room. Happy hour varied from bar to bar daily. Crows Nest cruising the Glaciers with happy hour beverages, priceless.

Why would it matter??

You pay for the drink cards, some are just a flat rate like a $50 beverage card right? What does it matter how you spend the money?

Sounds silly and unorganized to me.

IF there are restrictions, they need to be posted on said card and detailed before purchase.

That is only fair!

Sigh... If only fairness and consistency were in the cruise contract ;) :D

Why would it matter??

Because if they are offering a drink for a special price, they might not want you paying for it with a drink card that has a built-in discount.

However, apparently this isn't consistently applied. Nor does it seem like it should be a big enough dollar amount to warrant enforcement. But that is the reasoning.

Archived