Why bother even calling RC?

I called RC today because I had a couple of questions. We had made a few purchases from Gifts and Gear, along with a wine package (which was not showing on the pre-vacation planning either). We did receive confirmation from RC for only one of these from Gifts and Gear. In addition, my children had purchased a gift of OBC for us and I also wanted to find out how I could check on the RC Visa certificates I had sent in for OBC. When I had the representative on the phone, her first questions was, had we booked with a TA? (Yes), then she said we needed to call them as no one at RC could help us. She also laughed and said the VISA points could not be used for OBC, only to pay off your cruise. Since RC had sent an e-mail confirmation for one purchase, I convinced her to put me through to someone else.

Luckily, the second person was much more helpful, and confirmed that my OBC from the gift and the VISA points were both showing, as well as the wine package.

I'm printing out copies of everything to bring with me.

Where do they get these people? :eek:

If you book thru a TA, then THEY own your reservation until you board the ship. You will have to discuss anything with them. This is not an "RCI" thing...it's true with any cruiseline. You were lucky someone did eventually get your answers!

I called RC today because I had a couple of questions. We had made a few purchases from Gifts and Gear, along with a wine package (which was not showing on the pre-vacation planning either). We did receive confirmation from RC for only one of these from Gifts and Gear. In addition, my children had purchased a gift of OBC for us and I also wanted to find out how I could check on the RC Visa certificates I had sent in for OBC. When I had the representative on the phone, her first questions was, had we booked with a TA? (Yes), then she said we needed to call them as no one at RC could help us. She also laughed and said the VISA points could not be used for OBC, only to pay off your cruise. Since RC had sent an e-mail confirmation for one purchase, I convinced her to put me through to someone else.

Luckily, the second person was much more helpful, and confirmed that my OBC from the gift and the VISA points were both showing, as well as the wine package.

I'm printing out copies of everything to bring with me.

Where do they get these people? :eek:

On your Confirmation Invoice from RCI under Booking Charges you will see the code C30C-$$$-OBC P-P. When this is showing, you know it's been applied.

You just gotta love summer help!:eek:

If you book thru a TA, then THEY own your reservation until you board the ship. You will have to discuss anything with them. This is not an "RCI" thing...it's true with any cruiseline. You were lucky someone did eventually get your answers!

This is not entirely true. Visa points being used for OBC or $$$ off a cruise can be sent directly to the Rewards Department. If you call then and give them your booking number, they will tell you if and when it will be applied.

It is only when you are using Points for a free cruise that you have to go through you TA.

Ditto, the TA usually has to call to get any information, although sometimes they may answer some questions, but depends on who answers the phone. My last cruise I booked with an online TA. While searching for price drops on my cellphone, I found that a Center Hump on the Liberty (I was booked in another category of balcony cabin) had dropped in price. I was trying to get through on my phone to my TA for a half an hour. I put them on hold and called Royal and told the Rep. of my situation. The Rep. put the cabin on a 24 hour hold for me until I could get my agent to upgrade/change the cabin for me, which was later that night. Needless to say I laid them out for being on hold, and almost losing the cabin.

I only book my room through my TA... that is not what the OP was talking about OR asking RCL about. They were asking questions about things that were booked / applied directly with RCL. In that case, YES, RCL did need to answer their questions. Their TA didn't book the wine package, book OBC etc so calling them would have been a waste of time.

Thanks for the feedback. From past experience I have dealt with RCI regarding certain aspects of a cruise, even though booked with a TA.

From whom do I get a confirmation invoice?

Confirmations for specialty dining,, OBC gifts, and the wine package came directly from RCI (seems they have no trouble taking our money even though we booked through a TA).

The comment that got me was being told that thev VISA certificates could not be used for OBC.

BTW, our TA is terrific, the perks we get for booking through them far outweigh the benefits of booking with RCI (which we used to do).

Archived