Back From Eurodam Baltic - Happy to Answer ?'s

LAN41

Just home from the 12 day July 9 Baltic Cruise on Eurodam. Very port intensive, lovely cruise. Glad to answer any questions you may have about the ship, ports or excursions/planning we did while there.

Leslie

I will do a review when I get done with the laundry :). For clothes, it really did range from day to day. Some days in Germany were quite warm and sunny (high 70's) and other days coldish and damp. We did get some rain in St. P, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I didn't bring any shorts and wouldn't have needed them. Short sleeves were good with layers over them, so you could add or shed as the day went by. I know that is what everyone says, but it really seems to be true!

Leslie

I imagine HAL did not provide shuttles. Where did you dock in Copenhagen? Did you take a tour or go in on your own. If you went in on your own, was there a special bus or did HAL give suggestions? We are going on Prinsendam in 3 weeks. Found out we are supposed to be docked way out!! It's a huge disappointment!

Welcome back LAN41 - we'll be doing the same cruise on the Rotterdam in a little over a week. Did you take ship's excursions, or did you do most ports on your own? Were there hop-on, hop-off buses available most places?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I imagine HAL did not provide shuttles. Where did you dock in Copenhagen? Did you take a tour or go in on your own. If you went in on your own, was there a special bus or did HAL give suggestions? We are going on Prinsendam in 3 weeks. Found out we are supposed to be docked way out!! It's a huge disappointment!

Actually, there were HAL shuttles available in Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen. They were not free, but quite reasonable. We did HAL tours in Keil (Castles, Lakes and Roses) and Copenhagen (Copenhagen by Coach and Canal) and SPB Baltic Pearl in St. P. We DIY in all other cities and it was easy. The HOHO buses and boats were right by the ship in virtually all the cities. We did the HOHO boat right off the dock in Stockholm and easily could have done the HOHO in Copenhagen instead of the tour. We were also docked in the "far" dock in Copenhagen, but it is still not as far as you think. Shipmates still walked into the city area from there. Helsinki also had a HOHO right off Market Square. HAL also had port talks about every port that gave good info for DIY tours in each area. You will have no problem! Have a wonderful cruise.

Leslie

Welcome back LAN41 - we'll be doing the same cruise on the Rotterdam in a little over a week. Did you take ship's excursions, or did you do most ports on your own? Were there hop-on, hop-off buses available most places?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We did a combo of both DIY and ship excursions. It was really easy to use the HOHO boats and/or buses. They want to make it as easy as possible to find and use them. My only suggestion is that some port days go quickly, so even with the HOHO, prioritize your day before it starts. For example, I had to see the Vasa in Stockholm, so we went there first thing in the morning and then on to Gamla Stan. We didn't have time to see everything we wanted, but saw the most important to us. Have a wonderful time!!

Leslie

Did you or were you able to purchase the "unlimited laundry package" once on board?

We didn't purchase the unlimited laundry, but it was offered. I think it was around $100 for the unlimited and $26 per bag for our 12 day cruise.

Leslie

On the Rotterdam June 2 - 14 they had a shuttle into downtown Copenhagen for $15 US return. It dropped you off right in front of the tourist office and half a block from Tivoli Gardens and less than a block from the railroad station. It was well worth it.

I have noticed that the prices for the Hop On Hop Off buses are getting quite expensive. They used to be a good and cheap alternative to tours. Not so much now.

Thanks for the replies. We did a 2 week on Prinsendam from London (Lisbon etc )to Rome and not one shuttle was provided. We had to sign up for a $50 "transportation only" tour to Porto. I will let you know if that is a Prinsendam thing when we get back.

LAN41: Some have criticized the design of the Eurodam for the Lido dining. They say it is narrow, hard to negotiate, and therefore gets too crowded. Did you find this to be accurate?

It was a little hard to navigate the Lido on Eurodam. Around each buffet area, you would have to squeeze around people at the buffet and people walking in the aisle to seats, etc. However, I didn't find it too problematic. It did have wonderful service by the Lido staff.

Leslie

LAN41: Some have criticized the design of the Eurodam for the Lido dining. They say it is narrow, hard to negotiate, and therefore gets too crowded. Did you find this to be accurate?

On my recent Eurodam cruise, I enjoyed people watching in the Lido. The hot food station seemed to have the longest lines closely followed by the dessert/ice cream station. The lines never looked overly long and if you watched, the ebb and flow of people can give you a point where there is no line. We'd simply enter the Lido, get a beverage, find a table and then go for food when the lines were shorter. The salad bar and the sushi area rarely had long lines and I was especially impressed with the food from the sushi area. Oddly, bread pudding (one of my favorite desserts) was not located near the dessert station so I'm glad I happened upon it one day.

The Lido is long and narrow so remembering where we were sitting was sometimes a bit confusing. Overall, I enjoyed the Lido even though I don't usually go to the buffet often on a cruise.

PS - The longest waits were for the burger grill. Technically that is not part of the Lido (is it?) but was just outside the door of the Lido. The pizza place was typical - if you liked one of the few selections on view you could have pizza quickly. Otherwise you had to wait for a new pizza to bake.

• 3 weeks later...

How did you manage the different currencies in the Baltic?? I know I could use my credit card for larger purchases but DH & I usually only buy small items like souvenir spoons etc. Should I get small amounts of cash for each country or do some of the countries accept Euro's? Thanks for the info.

How did you manage the different currencies in the Baltic?? I know I could use my credit card for larger purchases but DH & I usually only buy small items like souvenir spoons etc. Should I get small amounts of cash for each country or do some of the countries accept Euro's? Thanks for the info.

Euro's were accepted most places, even St. Petersburg at the gift shops. Helsinki and Tallinn are officially Euro and Stockholm seemed to accept Euro's also. I am not sure about Copenhagen, because we didn't eat or shop there. I was worried about currency before we left and it really wasn't an issue. If I went back, I would only take Euro's and a credit card. Hope that helps.

Leslie

Euro's were accepted most places, even St. Petersburg at the gift shops. Helsinki and Tallinn are officially Euro and Stockholm seemed to accept Euro's also. I am not sure about Copenhagen, because we didn't eat or shop there. I was worried about currency before we left and it really wasn't an issue. If I went back, I would only take Euro's and a credit card. Hope that helps.

Leslie

I have read not to count on my USA credit card working because we don't have the chip. Did you find this to be the case?

I was actually on the July 21 10-day cruise. We spent 5 days in Copenhagen before the cruise and 2 days after.

Copenhagen -- we had no problem with US (no chip) cards in stores and restaurants. For train ticket kiosks, we were able to use our ATM cards (pin, but no chip). ATMs are everywhere. Our banks told us that there would be a $2 fee for each transaction --however, our only fee was a 1% foreign transaction fee for each transaction.

Our plan for Euros was to get them at a ATM in Berlin, but our ship missed Warnemunde due to wind. I think we got our first Euros from an ATM in Estonia.

In Stockholm, I didn't have any luck with Euros. So I just used the ATM card there.

When we returned to Copenhagen, we were low on DKK, so we were able to use Euros at Rosenborg Castle's gift shop, but the change came back in DKK. I also saw people using up Euros at the hotel to put toward their bills there.

During my recent Baltic cruise, the only time I had trouble with my USA credit card was at a pharmacy in Copenhagen. They only would accept a credit card with a chip. Everywhere else it was not a problem.

Copenhagen is very expensive so you'll go through cash quickly. I had exchanged US$100 in advance of the cruise at an American Express office and used that for lunch, coffee, etc. I finally spent the rest at the Tivoli for admission and ice cream cones.

At most other ports I did have some Euros with me but typically only spent them on bottled water, coffee and other small expenses. Everything else went on the credit card.

In St. Petersburg I didn't spend any money and was glad I didn't exchange for any rubles. I paid in advance for my tour (with DenRus) in dollars and DenRus had told me that their guides would be happy to accept a tip in dollars. Turns out I wish I had spent money in St. Petersburg for nesting dolls, etc. I found the prices and selection in St. Petersburg to be much better than on the ship.

Leslie

Thanks so much! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Looking forward to your review.:)

Hi, my husband and I are in the process of booking a14 night cruise though Princess visiting the Baltic region next July 2012. Any information and advice you can give me about the ports you visited would be extremely helpful. Thanks, Melissa

Archived