Istanbul Tram Jeton vs Istanbul kart = HELP!

We will be in Istanbul in September for four-days post cruise. I have read all I can find on CC, TA, TTP & Rick Steves about the transportation system! [so please don't suggest any of them=:)]

We plan on using the tram + the funicular + the New District tram - all different fees if I understand correctly.

My question ~ is it more economical and convenient to use tokens (jetons) for the tram system or should we buy an Istanbul Kart??? And IF the Istanbul Kart is better, is there a deposit? how convenient to get it back?

Sorry I can't help -- when I've been in Istanbul I've just used the jetons. I've read about the card but considering that when I'm there I've generally not taken the tram/transport more than twice a day, it hasn't seemed worth it.

I know you said that you've checked TA, but why not ask the question there? They have local experts that can probably advise. I'm guessing most previous visitors to Istanbul on this board will not have used anything other than the jetons.

Whoops, I did not see CruiseMom's post before replying!

I don't have an answer, but I would suggest you try posting this question on Trip Advisor where you will find more people who have been to Istanbul for more than a day or two.

Archived