Cruise Critic Door Signs - Good Idea or Not?

megmno

One of the folks on the roll cal for our cruise has posted a Cruise Critic door sign. I'm thinking of posting it, but recently I've read some negative comments about CC on in the comments on John Heald's blog and FB page.

Would posting a door sign possibly draw negative attention to my family?

Opinions please!!

Instead of the cruise critic sign why not come up with something unique for your family. For example, when we did a Thanksgiving cruise I created a fun door sign with a Thanksgiving theme. For my upcoming cruise next May I will do a sign for DH and I for our 25th wedding anniversary! I just think it is a fun thing to do!

We went to the dollar store and bought some tropical fish posters to put on our door. Don't think I would put a Cruise Critic sign on my door again regardless of what other's think, it's just not as much fun as REAL decorating.;)

One thing I wouldn't do is put a whiteboard on the door. On our Miracle cruise last year a couple had just gotten engaged and put a whiteboard on their door asking for comments/congratulations/etc. Well, as you can imagine, some folks couldn't resist the urge to offer up some off-color/ suggestive/insulting remarks. I've put up Christmas decorations before, but never anything that could be written on!

Oh, and I've never advertised myself as a CC member. Such a small percentage of the passengers on any given cruise are members; no one else would care...

Someone mentioned here that when they had a Cruise Critic sign on their door people were knocking on it to ask them questions about the ship and excursions. People assumed the occupants were professional (and paid) critics whose job was to assist all comers to their cabin with their problems. Only about 10% of the passengers on any given ship are familiar with Cruise Critic so I tend to believe this story. :eek:

When I was on the Destiny last November, I had a Cruise Critic sign....a couple passengers saw it and actually believed I was a critic for Carnival. I took the sign down a minute later. Thinking back, I should have played along...lol. If I WAS a Carnival Critic, I sure wouldn't advertise it.

Melanie

what was on your door...as long as it is in good taste..I've use one of my sign over 40 times...and my CC sign has changes 2x..in the last 5 years. My Milestones "WHITE" S & S card gets more attention..as it resembles the white "staff" badges. I get asked Q's from both entities...Not an imposition for me, as I'm always glad to help another cruzer! One Cabin Steward, a few cruzes back, met me coming out my door..and said "HIIII"...I FINALLY get to meet YOU !!!!.......I looked perplexed...and said thank you, and he smiled sweetly...I see your sign many times on different decks..and NOW I meet YOU, in person!!! How nice was that....kids remark when they pass by.."momma, thatz the lady in the picture" (when I had one of me on it) Lots of positive comments from lovely people.

I wouldn't want my name, photo or any decorations on my door. Some of you like the decorations to make your door "easy to find". That's not always a good thing. It also makes YOU easy to find. Once I had to run away from some pesty girls. Luckily I was able to get in my cabin and have the door close before they saw which one I went into.

I think any sort of door decorations reminds me of a grammar school. Been quite awhile since I was a student in a grammar school. Finding my cabin is easy: there's a number on it, that matches the number I was given when I boarded. Match those numbers and you've found your cabin!

Princess put a Happy Birthday sign and balloons on our door this cruise for my husbnad's BD and we loved it, but do not think I would put a CC sign or anything else on our door-I do not like to stand out in a crowd, unless it is because something good I did for someone else. Just me.

We love to decorate our doors and have met other cruise critic members by posting our cc sign by the door. We also use a dry erase board and have had many positive comments left and so far no disparaging remarks. Usually we travel with several other couples and this helps us to find their rooms as well, and all it takes is a brief moment to jot down on the board where we will be for the next little while.

For me, it's fun and after all, this is supposed to be the "Fun Ship" cruiseline! :p

We love to decorate our doors and have met other cruise critic members by posting our cc sign by the door. We also use a dry erase board and have had many positive comments left and so far no disparaging remarks. Usually we travel with several other couples and this helps us to find their rooms as well, and all it takes is a brief moment to jot down on the board where we will be for the next little while.

For me, it's fun and after all, this is supposed to be the "Fun Ship" cruiseline! :p

That is what is great about life-as long as it does not hurt anyone else-

if it makes you happy, that is perfect for you!! Enjoy life and enjoy cruising!! :D

what was on your door...as long as it is in good taste..I've use one of my sign over 40 times...and my CC sign has changes 2x..in the last 5 years. My Milestones "WHITE" S & S card gets more attention..as it resembles the white "staff" badges. I get asked Q's from both entities...Not an imposition for me, as I'm always glad to help another cruzer! One Cabin Steward, a few cruzes back, met me coming out my door..and said "HIIII"...I FINALLY get to meet YOU !!!!.......I looked perplexed...and said thank you, and he smiled sweetly...I see your sign many times on different decks..and NOW I meet YOU, in person!!! How nice was that....kids remark when they pass by.."momma, thatz the lady in the picture" (when I had one of me on it) Lots of positive comments from lovely people.

I've seen your sign on two cruises.

And I enjoyed seeing it.

Do you miss the Holiday?

I have seen the Cruise Critic signs on previous cruises. I would think that the staff would try their hardest to give you the royal treatment knowing that:

A) You are obviously a repeat cruiser.

B) You are going to go home and talk about the cruise in general and the staff members positively or negatively.

Logically, you would think they would step it up and try to keep you happy so you could serve to sing the praises of the cruiseline. But maybe it doesn't work that way?

I wouldn't put the sign up because my fiance would kill me (not his kind of thing!). But if you like the decorate the door, I say go on with you bad self and have a blast!

-aj

Someone mentioned here that when they had a Cruise Critic sign on their door people were knocking on it to ask them questions about the ship and excursions. People assumed the occupants were professional (and paid) critics whose job was to assist all comers to their cabin with their problems. Only about 10% of the passengers on any given ship are familiar with Cruise Critic so I tend to believe this story. :eek:

I have been on 2 prior cruises and did't know a thing about Cruise Critic until I booked my 3rd cruise.

I think any sort of door decorations reminds me of a grammar school. Been quite awhile since I was a student in a grammar school. Finding my cabin is easy: there's a number on it, that matches the number I was given when I boarded. Match those numbers and you've found your cabin!

My thoughts exactly. I've never understood why adults do this.

I have done it every cruise. I don't have trouble finding my room, but others around us have commented on how it helps them find their door easier. We have fun with it.

I don't know why others feel the need to belittle those who would do it. :rolleyes: Different strokes for different folks.

I've seen your sign on two cruises.

And I enjoyed seeing it.

Do you miss the Holiday?

and I treasure it!..I've gotton a new CC one..I miss Holiday.. I missed it last summer by 1 day in Tunis..on my B'day..but have last yrs Iberocruceros cruze book..to drool over.I'm .on Magic TA in Oct, will get a new one..and want to plan on a cruze on it..I"m already ensconced in a Baltic..3 wk land=-tour for next fall, but that can change, and I can do as I wish!!! yes I miss Holiday, for sure..I look at all my Capt table pics, and that cruze family I came to love. I miss my friends..but will cruze w/ one MD in Dec on Dream..saw him in May on it..we had a great reunion..my pals daughter married one of the MD's from a ship last year!!! They are very happy..Mom will be with me in Jan on Conquest. The sign will come out in 33 days for Elation!!! wish you were here!!!!!!! tx..judi

Archived