Optional tour of Salzberg?

Irina

We are on the AMA Amalyra Danube cruise on August 28. Has anyone taken an optional tour to Salzberg? We can do that in lieu of the ship's tour of Linz, and then meet them in Passau. Just wondered if we are missing out on anything by skipping Linz, and if Salzberg is worth seeing.

I don't know about your tour, but Salzberg is definitely worth seeing. I have never been to Linz, but I cannot imagine it being better than Salzberg.

The "Sound of Music" was filmed there and there once was a tour called the "Sound of Music" tour. Mozart's house is there, also a medieval castle on the hill, etc.

We just did the Salzburg tour with the Scenic Pearl. The tour left from Linz and returned to the ship in Passau. We enjoyed it and thought it was relly worthwhile. Much more interesting than Linz.

We also did the Salzburg tour, on Uniworld's River Beatrice, in June. I would not have missed it, the drive was lovely and well, Salzburg was definitely worth seeing. Would I have liked to have been there longer? Yes, but it was not in the cards on this particular trip. It certainly helped that we had a good guide for our group. We had lunch at a restaurant/brewery dating back to 1492, and coffee/dessert at Mozart's favorite cafe. However, on our boat itinerary we left from Linz, and then returned to Linz, so had an opportunity to see Linz in either the late afternoon or after dinner for coffee/dessert, which is what we did.

Archived