Qm2 Q6/Q5 Flat screen tv's

transatlantic fan

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the old style flat screens in the Q6 or Q5 staterooms have now been changed to the newer wide screen flat screens.

Many Thanks

We had a Q4 in May and it still had a large CRT TV.

I understand that there's a programme of upgrading but don't know the criteria.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the old style flat screens in the Q6 or Q5 staterooms have now been changed to the newer wide screen flat screens.

Many Thanks

We had a nice flat screen in our Q-6 last Nov. I think they are still fitting them as time allows. We saw quite a few being installed ship wide.

For me it is not the size or shape of the TV, but what is shown on the TV that has the most importance. On QM2, it was once possible to view in-stateroom folio charges, dinner menues, wine lists, etc. Is a flat screen TV is an improvement over interactive use of the in cabin TV, especially considering the reduced programming? Not to this passenger. -Salacia

For me it is not the size or shape of the TV, but what is shown on the TV that has the most importance. On QM2, it was once possible to view in-stateroom folio charges, dinner menues, wine lists, etc. Is a flat screen TV is an improvement over interactive use of the in cabin TV, especially considering the reduced programming? Not to this passenger. -Salacia

Salacia,

Perhaps it is more of a "people spending more cash when they don't know how much money they have spent" than a "technology" problem. I know it certainly worked out that way for me. :)

The interactive part was removed before the flat screens came in.

We had interactive on our first voyage. The facility had been removed on our second trip but the screens were still CRT. Someone at the pursers desk told us they removed it because they kept having problems with it.

On a QM2 "port hole" room on deck 6, we had a smaller flat screen. I'm going to guess and say it was about 24", but it might have been a tad bigger. A nice feature of the screen was that it had an open HDMI port so that I was able to watch a few movies that I had on my computer with a HDMI output.

On our 2nd voyage this summer on the QV, we had the old CRT on a balcony room with NO HDMI input option. I was disappointed because I had a couple of movies on my laptop that I wanted to watch on a bigger screen.

The interactive part was removed before the flat screens came in.

We had interactive on our first voyage. The facility had been removed on our second trip but the screens were still CRT. Someone at the pursers desk told us they removed it because they kept having problems with it.

Hi Ray. Yes, the interactive features were removed long before the "flat screen upgrade". I can understand how it might have been problematic to have in-stateroom folio charges on cabin TVs. But it shouldn't be that difficult to have a channel devoted to daily menus or wine lists, should it?

Once I was seated at a table with a passenger who asked for and received a print out of the following nights dinner menu (extra work for the staff, and a tad annoying to tablemates). Obviously, the menu is avaialble in advance, so why not use one of the many ships channels to post the menu of various dining venues? Seems to me it would make for less fuss and bother if passengers knew what was on the menu in the main dining room, and nothing there appealed to them, they could seek out another venue. Alternatively, passengers can look at the dinner menu which is posted outside the main dining room around 3pm - low tech, and often too late to make reservations in other dining venues.

Yours in Constructive Criticism,

Salacia

Salacia,

Perhaps it is more of a "people spending more cash when they don't know how much money they have spent" than a "technology" problem. I know it certainly worked out that way for me. :)

I hear what you are saying. Oddly enough, problems with in-stateroom folio charges continue to exist. On our last voyage, we were told that our internet charges would be removed on our final statement (platinum benefit). Happily, Himself was up very early on the morning of disembarkation, and stood in line at the Pursar's Desk to have the internet charges removed. (He reported that the line was long, but most were questioning the internet charges, not asking for removal of the auto Hotel & Dining charges.)

Question to experienced Cunard passengers: has anyone had experience of requesting that any remaining on-board credits be added to the hotel and dining charge? Thanks, -S

Archived