Transfers in Barcelona for Epic Cruise

MATHA531

Hi...please bear with me. I'm all set to go on the Epic's Med cruise on 14 August. Now, and I hope this doesn't offend anyboidy because it's not meant to, several years ago I did a tour of Spain for a week and on the way back to the airport, the tour director told us this was the first tour she had done where nobody on the tour had a problem (crime). Therefore I have decided I want to spend as little time in Barcelona as possible. Again sorry for those of you who might like this city; I couldn't stand it (and I don't speak Spanish to boot)..

In any event, I will be arriving in Barcelona on Saturday night 13 August and have booked an airport hotel which apparently has a shuttle service form the airport...getting in around 9 PM, off to the hotel, in bed by 10 or so. Next morning to the pier. Now here's where the questions come in.

1. I can obviously get a cab at the airport hotel. Estimate it will run perhaps €35 or more (I'm travelling alone and will be trying out the Epic studios)...or

2. Might it pay, even at this late day (still have 2 1/2 weeks) to inquire of Norwegian about a transfer from the airport to the Barcelona pier and simply shuttle back to the airport? Any idea how much Norwegian charges for the transfer service.

3. Finally, when I finished my last HAL cruise, as part of the disembarkation package, they asked me if I wanted to book a transfer back to the airport (some people prepay this I suppose).....I have a 1230 flight out of Barcelona airport so I meet that perameter...or does it pay to go for a cab back to the airport. I mean if the transfer costs €25, I suppose I wouldn't mind the €35 for a cab; of course maybe I can meet somebody nice on the queue waiting for the cab who would be willing to share.

Any thoughts some of you familiar with Barcelona transfers would be appreciated but evidently if I want a Norwegian transfer, I have to act quickly (or it might even be too late anyway).

Thanks

coming from airport or airport hotel I would take a cab.

As to getting to hotel in the first place, make sure you have the name and address written down to hand the cabbie in case he does not speak english. Many do not.

We have stayed on or near Ramblas three different times and would do it again. We speak zero Spanish and tend to wander WAY off of Ramblas to eat and visit with locals. We did learn one word = BLANKO for white wine.

Hate to see somebody stuck in an airport hotel when there is a great city to see. But, to each their own.

From what I read there are only a few hotels by the airport. By chance are you staying at the Mariott? They have a shuttle from the hotel to the cruise pier for 10Euros. If this is where you're staying I can post the email for the concierge who can email you the info. We'll be doing a similar thing in September.

Your flight home is early, so I would invest in a transfer to the airport with the cruiseline. Doing it this way, they will tell you exactly when you will leave the ship and they'll take care of your luggage and everything. I can't give you a price because I've always prepaid. Others have told me that it is not unreasonable.

Hope this helps. Have a good time!

April

@MATHA531 -

We have been accosted in Barcelona a couple of years ago. We had come off a TA from Miami, checked into our hotel and walked toward the tour bus stop. The checkin staff had alerted us to some of the tricks that we could expect. While waiting for a green light to cross the street, somebody poured some vile stinking liquid on us from a balcony. Out of nowhere an accomplice came toward us and offered to wash it off with agua, agua. All we had to do is follow him into the building. Oh sure! We walked back to the hotel, got our still unpacked suitcases and took a cab to the airport. took the first flight out to Frankfurt. Now, when we cannot avoid Barcelona, we stay at an airport hotel. Take the hotel shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport next morning. If I recall, there is a special flat rate to the dock. I don't remember how much we paid, buy it was less than 30

Sorry to hear thee stories as we are looking forward to a one night stay in Barcelona. I did however book transportation from the airport to the hotel and fro a nip to airport thru zip transfers. Peace of mind to have someone waiting for you

Your flight home is early, so I would invest in a transfer to the airport with the cruiseline. Doing it this way, they will tell you exactly when you will leave the ship and they'll take care of your luggage and everything. ..

Personally, I prefer a cab. Nobody to take care of anything. I walk out and grab the cab. Fastest way I can figure. I do not have to wait for anybody or anything.

You just have to be careful in any large city, anywhere in the world. Don't carry too much money and always ask for a quote before you get in a taxi. Additionally, taxis have meters to display the cost of the journey but there is a SURCHARGE for the airports and the train stations.

It's a great city and therefore a shame to not see it.

VIVA LA BARÇA

Archived