Not Trying to Beat a Dead Horse!!

adios

I think Country Western would include jeans on that night.

In terms of showing up in shorts, there is no Suburban Schlub night as far as I have read.:eek:

Thank you. I agree with you on both statements.

One mode of dress in the dining room that I don't care for is "sweats". I think they are getting more commonplace, or maybe I'm becoming more aware of them. On a Baltic cruise, I was really surprised at a table close to us , eight people, who came to dinner at least three nights in sweats.

They way EVERYONE is dressed is part of the ambiance that makes a formal afair (or restuant, or diningroom) formal. Anyone who enters the room is a part of the "decorations" and/or interior design.

Nice shorts, to me, equate to the interior design being done with "Very Nice" Velvet Elvis paintings.

Saying no shorts is a line drawn in the sand if the line is moved to include a subjective decision of nice shorts, or nice jeans, cut-offs can't be far behind..NO shorts or NO jeans is easy to determine where the policy is violated.

Now... where's my checked jacket, striped pants, paisley tie and polka-dot shirt...? It's time for dinner

LMAO! I totally agree with your comments.......and when you put it as you have, maybe even those that 'don't get it' might finally 'get it.' Thanks for the laugh!

What is with this "country western night"? Is that on the Mariner too?

I knew there was something called a "caribbean night" which from other postings sounds like a good night to go to chops instead...but is there another theme night too, besides the formal nights of course?

Cheers!

I think Country Western would include jeans on that night.

In terms of showing up in shorts, there is no Suburban Schlub night as far as I have read.:eek:

None of the last four cruises we've been on had Country and Western nights. Don't tell me they're still teaching the cotton eyed joe on cruises?

I gotta get away from these mass market lines.........if that's the case.

Like OP's guests, DH and I choose not to dress for dinner. We have to wear business clothes 5 days a week and on vacation, I'm staying in my shorts! The difference is, we exercise our **option** of eating in the Windjammer instead. It would NEVER cross my mind to go to the formal dining room and wear whatever I darn well please.

Like OP's guests, DH and I choose not to dress for dinner. We have to wear business clothes 5 days a week and on vacation, I'm staying in my shorts! The difference is, we exercise our **option** of eating in the Windjammer instead. It would NEVER cross my mind to go to the formal dining room and wear whatever I darn well please.

Very well put!! It was also my understanding that is why the ship offers so many choices to please every type! Hmmm...why does my square peg not fit in this round little hole??!! :eek: ;)

Cheers!

Would leather shorts be more acceptable?

Only if accessorized with a whip, fur handcuffs, knee length boots, hose w/ garter belt and some nicely placed jewelry

pierced in the proper places. :eek:

15_1_122.gif

Stretch

How about when the suggested dress, posted in the Compass for the evening, is "Country Western or casual". Can you understand that Country Western could include jeans, or am I still being too obtuse?

No. And I apologize. In my two cruises, there were no Country & Western nights. I was unaware that this was one of the themes. And what I quoted was for "Casual" dress. However, if it says "Country Western or Casual" then that is perfectly acceptable for any night so designated. My remarks were directed at those who choose to wear jeans anytime whether the dress code allows it or not. However, the theme night descriptions are not included in the brochures, the web-site or even our cruise documents, so I'm not sure where people would get the idea that they might even have a CW or C night.

Don't get me wrong, I wear jeans almost exclusively. I purposely work at a site where there is an academic environment and I can wear jeans to work. However, I don't wear jeans when I go to the theatre (which we do very regularly) and I don't wear jeans when I go to any fine dining establishment, so I wouldn't wear it to the main DR.

Thank you for all of your comments. I agree that shorts should not be worn in the dinning room. I will pass these comments to my family members who wish to wear them, so that they can have an idea about how everyone feels.

I think the side of the issue that is discussed too much are the folks who choose to wear shorts because they feel they have the "right" to. What about the folks may have chosen a cruise because they read the brochure and thought that an elegant environment appealed to them. I think that given the dress code requested by the cruise line, it is fair for those people to be disappointed if they arrive for their dinner and find that they are sitting with folks who seem to be experiencing a different vacation than the one they intended to purchase.

Only if accessorized with a whip, fur handcuffs, knee length boots, hose w/ garter belt and some nicely placed jewelry

pierced in the proper places. :eek:

15_1_122.gif

Stretch

Stretch,

I thought only the cabin steward knew about my pink fuzzy handcuff fixation.... I didn't know it was common practice on RCL - time to book!

Thanks for the heads up!:eek:

Dan

What I don't understand is that someone chooses to go on this cruise line over another, or instead of a different type of vacation, because of what they read/saw/heard about it. There is a certain level of luxury or elegance or whatever you want to call it. So why try to change that to drag it down to a lower level? No one says you have to "over dress"...but why can't people respect the guidelines that are set up? If someone is THAT opposed to following these guidelines, then they need to re=think WHY they have booked themselves on this cruiseline.To be different? To stand out? To prove that they can get away with it?

There are many options out there- including very casual cruises. Why not choose them?

I thought the comment that was made above that the regulations were for the dining room, not for the table was right on.

I, myself, would never show up for dinner in shorts. I like the whole 'get dressed up' thing....however, some people in my party don't like it. So, does that mean we have to eat in different dinning rooms? We are East Texans and our churches on Sunday morning are filled with blue jeans!! I really don't want my guests to fill like they aren't welcomed in the DR wearing what they are comfortable in. It's there vacation too, and they paid the same money as everyone else. Shouldn't each person be concerned about themselves and not pay so much attention to everyone else. In fact, as a human race, shouldn't we do that! We won't be at a table with strangers, making them uncomfortable. I wouldn't wear shorts, but that's me personally. I wanted to know what ya'll thought about it, considering we will be with other family members.

I'm sure no one will notice if I wear my comfy pajama bottoms to dinner in the dining room. You know, I really am much more comfortable in them than in a little black dress and heels. Besides, with all that food at dinner......I would have room to stretch and wouldn't be so uncomfortable. After all, I paid for my cruise and why should what I wear bother anyone else? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Besides, with all that food at dinner......I would have room to stretch and wouldn't be so uncomfortable. After all, I paid for my cruise and why should what I wear bother anyone else? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Gosh, now I am envisioning a group of men after our Thanksgiving meal on the VOS undoing the button and zipper on their pants because they ate too much food. After all, they would want to be comfortable.:eek:

Thanks for all the good laughs.

I imagine the men of Bermuda might take exception to the no shorts issue. Bermuda shorts are a common sight and perfectly acceptable as work attire for the men.

I'd be surprised if they did. Shorts are also quite common in Hawaii for work, but even in those places, there is a time and place for everything and if there is a formal dining area, they wear pants, oft-times linen pants. And linen pants would be perfectly acceptible in the main dining room.

Note, the dress code says "slacks" and not "work attire"

I know that the whole "shorts in the dinning room" has been talked, and talked to death. Here is a new question about it though and I want some opinion. In April, my family of 8 is going on our yearly cruise. We will have our own table--not sharing with tablemates. What do you think about nice dress shorts and or jeans in that situation? Yes, the men in my family have very "sexy legs"!!!

Is your table in the dining room, on the ship? Then I say no. Why can't people just comply????

Archived