Veendam-Whats the good word?

sunlover41

Hi,

We are tentatively planning a western Caribbean cruise which stops in Belize, Gutamala, Cozumel. I've read some feedback on the food and entertainment and have some concern. Is the entertainment somewhat like a Broadway show? How were the portions of food? I've sailed NCL and Princess and have been very happy. Any feedback is appreciated. niksbuddy@hotmail.com or answer here. Thanks!!

I'll let you know in about a week, my dw and I will be leaving Tampa on Veendam on 3/25/05, our first cruise. I was asking who else was on ship under rollcall thread and only got one response, all the other "DAM" ships had numerous reponses???? what's up with that??? I'll be sure to give you honest review once we return.

Veendam is a wonderful ship IMO

We sailed her for 12 days in January but had sailed her at least 4 times in the past.

She has been very well maintained and we found her in excellent condition.

For my (subjective) taste, I found the food to be excellent. There was wonderful variety and so many courses offered each evening, I cannot imagine anyone leaving that dining room hungry.

Admittedly, I am not a huge eater but I found 2 courses plenty for me. I would have a soup or an appetizer and then an entree. I rarely have dessert but occassionly I would order one of my favorites and have a few bites. I was more than satisifed ordering only that so the portions can't be that small.

I certainly recommend Veendam as a wonderful ship.

Gaylenhazel, I don't recall seeing your e-mail, if you have it can u send it again? Thanks!! Sorry!!

Oh, it was probably about the info in the thread "VEENDAM, Feb. 5th 'HELL' week ", but in an email so that the questions and refutations in the thread wouldn't interfer with the "story". Click on the link, but be sure to read the whole thread...

Just returned from Veendam on 3/19. Loved the ship itself. Never felt crowded even though it was almost full. As to the food, I found it was very good. Portions were not large, but by the time you get thru with a 5 course menu, definately more than enough, and there is always stuff available all day and night on the Lido deck. In the main dining room there was always 3 alternative choices if you did not like the main menu. They included steak, chicken, and salmon. Desserts were excellent. The entertainment in the main show room was not as good as expected. They have an onboard group of entertainers who provided the entertainment for 3 of the nights. (They told me they sign on for a 6 month stint). Nothing elaborate, or big show time. One night there was a singer who was really very good, and had a great voice. Not sure how long he planned to be on board. He joined us mid-way thru. One of the lounges had a couple of good singers. There was also a comedian and an illusionist one night.

Wow Dak - I've never seen you so mean before. What I have to say to Sun is none of your business!

Mean? Hardly, but some people are just so trusting...

Of course, if it was some other topic than your feelings about Veendam (although considering the topic of this thread, that is a valid conclusion) then "never mind".

But, if you did want to rant on about the Veendam - why not in public?

You are right about some people being so trusting. I am one of them. When I started on the CC boards I trusted the regulars to be honest. Even when it wasn't the "best experience". So I came back and tried to give my honest opinion. I have learned a lot from many on the boards. From those, I say thank you.

I've also posted a lot of good things. Why are you picking on me? Just because I didn't like my Holland cruise?

FYI - I've had many other cruises that were outstanding! Sorry if the Veendam was one of your pets. It's just not one of mine.

:)

I have not travelled the VEENDAM in several years. However I have travelled on her three times and would go again. I like this ship very much. She will be in service nine years this summer. She was the last of the "S" Class ships to go into service.

Himself

We just sailed the Veendam from February 26, 2005 to March 5, 2005. The word is that the Veendam was fantastic! We have sailed with Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity, and by far, the Veendam had the best cabin, the best food, and the best entertainment. We had a Verandah Mini-Suite that was so spacious, had lots of closet space, and a very large bathroom. The food was excellent, and I am very picky about the food that I eat. The two production shows that we saw were fantastic! Unfortunately, we saw a singer and a magician that were no so good and would have much preferred to see a third production show. The cast was great, and the costumes were phenominal. The only downfall was the service in the dining room. Not quite as attentive as on other ships. Would highly recommend sailing the Veendam. We are hopefully planning an Alaskan cruise in May on the Veendam and are really looking forward to it!

We just got home from the March 26th sailing. Overall, it was a great trip, but there were a few disappointments. In regard to your questions, the entertainment was not great. I was on the Veendam a year ago and the dancers and singers were much better than this year. They hardly seemed professional. Good magicians, fun cruise staff, good comedian. The food was excellent -- lots of variety and wonderful quality. We tried the Pinnacle Grill for lunch one day ($10 per person) and it was well worth it. Didn't get to Costa Maya for weather reasons, so three days in a row at sea were a bit much. Embarkation was terrible because the ship was six hours late getting into Tampa due to fog. I know you can't control the weather, but they seemed to have no emergency contingency plan -- not even offering water in the very hot, humid waiting area. The cabin was nice and spacious, beds were comfortable. If you have any questions, let me know.

Hi,

We are tentatively planning a western Caribbean cruise which stops in Belize, Gutamala, Cozumel. I've read some feedback on the food and entertainment and have some concern. Is the entertainment somewhat like a Broadway show? How were the portions of food? I've sailed NCL and Princess and have been very happy. Any feedback is appreciated. niksbuddy@hotmail.com or answer here. Thanks!!

Sunlover,

My wife and I have sailed on the Veendam twice and are booked on the Christmas cruise this year. We have sailed on 17 cruises to this point. Most of them on the mainstream cruiselines. This is not Princess or NCL. This is a little more traditional. We have sailed on both the other lines you have sailed on. Dress-up nights are dress-up nights. It is great to see. The food is very good but not the best at sea. The portions are just right for the amount of courses. If you happen to see two things you like such as appitizers that you like...just ask and they bring them. Entertainment is OK. If you like late night parties...it's not going to happen. Late night is in the Crow's Nest where a DJ spins and some people come. The fun part about that is it is the same people come every night and they tend to bond. The next AM we are all usualy having bloody Marys.

We did not do alot in Belize. Got off the ship and did the port shops. There is a very lovely resteraunt just outside the enclosed port shops. Also there is a very lively bar next to that location also. The high speed tenders to port from a mile out or so are a hoot.

Gutamala was different. We checked out a web site two weeks befor we were there 2 years ago on the Veendam and a warning was posted about that destination. The site is ...lonelyplanet.com. A week after we got home a few American tourist were killed in the countryside. Not being negative. We went to a private resort from the ship called Amatiqua Bay and had a great time. It is a European resort. Very beautiful.

All in all, we have cruised with HAL 4 times and love the way we are always treated. We are now 50 years old and our first cruise was 7 years ago with them. It was funny because at 43 we were maybe one of the youngest couples on the ship. That has changed though. Last two cruises the age has come down a bit.

If you are looking to party...this is not the line. If you like to relax and be treated well...good choice.

Just a note: I noticed that someone earlier gave an E-mail to contact. Probably because they were on a cruise where the Norovirus broke out. It happens and people get upset because it interfers with their vacation. Remember that next to the common cold this is the second most treated illness to the common cold.

Can vouch for the fog causing the Veendam being 6 hours late into Tampa on the 26. We passed her, from the Celebrity Horizon, as we were finally able to leave Tampa, 17 hours late. We missed out on Grand Cayman and half the day in Costa Rica.

As for the Veendam, we were on her a couple years ago, and loved the ship. She is not the glitzy ship some people expect, but more of an understated elegance. This is a great ship for those who don't want the giant maga-liners. The food was very good and we enjoyed the entertainers. The guest entertainers were all top notch.

Can vouch for the fog causing the Veendam being 6 hours late into Tampa on the 26. We passed her, from the Celebrity Horizon, as we were finally able to leave Tampa, 17 hours late. We missed out on Grand Cayman and half the day in Costa Rica.

As for the Veendam, we were on her a couple years ago, and loved the ship. She is not the glitzy ship some people expect, but more of an understated elegance. This is a great ship for those who don't want the giant maga-liners. The food was very good and we enjoyed the entertainers. The guest entertainers were all top notch.

It absolutely was fog which delayed Veendam from arriving back at Tampa as scheduled. The port was Closed due to it and the ship had to drop anchor outside the port and wait until advised they could proceed in.

Hey DebfromTampa,

We are from Tpa also. We did Horizon for Christmas. Did you enjoy her as much as we did? To bad she won't be back next fall & no replacement in sight for her.

I have sailed Veendam several times from Tampa, and have been delayed more than once by fog or traffic in the port. Tampa's port has some logistics that make it less clockwork for cruise ship schedules than Port Everglades or Miami.

I have found Veendam consistent, but still a little less Dutch then her fleetmates, perhaps due to the Nassau registry and periodic English captain. I am sailing Veendam May 29th from Seward to Vancouver and expect another great trip. I like the S class size and density.

I too will miss Celebrity's Horizon. I was Cruise Director aboard her in the mid 90's, having just left HAL. It was always a heart tug to watch her sail away from Tampa, thinking "there goes my ship".

Happy Sailing.

I have sailed Veendam several times from Tampa, and have been delayed more than once by fog or traffic in the port. Tampa's port has some logistics that make it less clockwork for cruise ship schedules than Port Everglades or Miami.

I have found Veendam consistent, but still a little less Dutch then her fleetmates, perhaps due to the Nassau registry and periodic English captain. I am sailing Veendam May 29th from Seward to Vancouver and expect another great trip. I like the S class size and density.

I too will miss Celebrity's Horizon. I was Cruise Director aboard her in the mid 90's, having just left HAL. It was always a heart tug to watch her sail away from Tampa, thinking "there goes my ship".

Happy Sailing.[/quote

TampaMike,

How long were you a CD? Maybe we have met in the past. We are also from Tampa. Our favorite with the fog issue was coming back into port on the Zeinth with the fog horn starting 3:30 in the AM. Went to bed at 3:20 that last night. I also carried the bags under my eyes to the taxi.

Also, maybe they will put in the passing area in the shipping lane and then we can have a busy port here. It would be nice to have a little more selection.

My wife and I also like the S class ships. We also liked the Zeinth and Horizon. More like ships.

jessemon,

My shipboard tenure ran about 13 years as both a CD and ShoreEx / Travel Manager. I was with Celebrity as CD for about 2 years in the 92-94 timeframe. I left Celebrity for Royal Cruise Line (Crown Odyssey, Star Odyssey, Royal Odyssey and Queen Odyssey) after Celebrity. During my shipboard career I lived in Jacksonville, but moved to Tampa near the end of my shipboard days, when at Radisson Seven Seas. I have been working in Tampa now for the past 5 years and just sail as a passenger ( a MUCH more relaxing way to cruise!)

But my career at sea also included Premier (Disney days), NCL & HAL to name a few.

Cheers!

Hey TampaMike,

Thanks for the response. I used to travel doing cooking shows. It is more fun to cook at home than the pressure of doing it in front of people. I understand what you mean. We are cruising on the Veendam for the 3rd time. We are doing her at Christmas. My wife really likes this ship. We also did the Ryndam. 17 cruises and it looks like that almost 25% have been with HAL.

Maybe we should look at getting together sometime.

Jeff

Archived