SPB Berlin Tour-Bus size question

I would appreciate opinions from those who have used SPB Tours for Berlin. We (group of 16)have the option of touring in a 16 passenger bus or join a group for a total of 28 people in a bus which fits 40 people. While a smaller group has its obvious advantages, there is a monetary discount with the larger vehicle. To those who have done this tour, do you feel that the tour would be negatively impacted by using the larger vehicle and if so, to what degree?

We had two groups(each about 16 people) from our ship that went to Berlin and our group ended up staying on the larger bus.

It was a bit of a problem getting to some of the spots.

We ended up walking quite a bit at times since it was quicker than trying to get the bus thru some of the streets. Plus the larger bus was somewhat limited in finding parking spots.

I didn't mind the walking part since I didn't come to Berlin to ride a bus all day.

If I were to do it over I would probably opt for the smaller van but be aware- there is a lot of Berlin to try and take in in one day no matter how you are getting around.

are you aware you will be on a large bus to and from Berlin?

they join together several tours to fill a bus then when you arrive in Berlin you will be split into smaller groups to meet your guide

In our case a group of 20 stayed on the large bus,we transferred to a minibus with our group of 16 and a family group of 4 had a car

we were able to get closer to sights with our minibus but on hindsight wished we had limited the group size to 8 as a larger group of 16 meant hearing the guide was sometimes difficult

Lyn

We had 16 in a bus that probably held 25 or so. It worked fine, no bus transfer required and the bus seemed able to get into all the spots. It is a great but busy tour. Our guide Heather was wonderful!

Kirk

We had 16 in a bus that probably held 25 or so. It worked fine, no bus transfer required and the bus seemed able to get into all the spots. It is a great but busy tour. Our guide Heather was wonderful!

Kirk

Our group of 20 was the group that stayed on the big bus for the Berlin tour. Two smaller groups broke off and went in smaller vehicles.We found the full size bus to be very comfortable.

Either traffic was right that day, or we had a very talented driver because we parked very close to everything and did not have to do much walking at all.

To reemphasize the point made previously, it is a very full day so the guide and driver do keep things moving.

Art

I would appreciate opinions from those who have used SPB Tours for Berlin. We (group of 16)have the option of touring in a 16 passenger bus or join a group for a total of 28 people in a bus which fits 40 people. While a smaller group has its obvious advantages, there is a monetary discount with the larger vehicle. To those who have done this tour, do you feel that the tour would be negatively impacted by using the larger vehicle and if so, to what degree?

Interesting you raised this question: I limited our group from our roll call to 16 so we would use a smaller van, but on arrival in Berlin, four got off the bus for a smaller vehicle and the rest of us stayed on the bus for the day. I, the organizer, was worried, but it worked out very comfortably and just great. Perhaps because it was a Sunday, but the vehicle was not restricted for what our excellent guide Heather planned for our day, and we had a nice day with a nice bit of time walking.

BTW, I am surprised you are talking about 28; when I last looked a few months back (we toured Berlin on June 12) the maximum size group discount was for 20, so the price for 16 or 20 was not that much different. Certainly 28 is way too big for any tour with one guide; I would not go much higher than 16 for efficiency in bathroom stops, lunch stop, etc.

I certainly would never take a private tour with 28 people; that large number would negate the main reason I take private tours. Also 16 IMO is a nice size for this Berlin trip but 28 is far too large, particularly because they do not use any voice-amplifying equipment.

Do they have restrooms on the larger buses they use for the three hour trip to Berlin? If not, do they have a rest stop?

Thanks

No, but there is a very nice rest top about 1/2 way both to and from Berlin. The bus itself is very nice with comfy seats and good a/c.

Archived