Passport and Celebrity question

LoveSt.Thomas

Hey everyone, we just booked a cruise for New Years, woot! Been trying to plan a cruise for a while, and with my daughter being on winter break from college this sounded perfect. Anyways, she got her passport when she was 14, and she's 19 now. It expires Jan. 25, 2012. Our cruise leaves Dec. 31, 2011, and gets back on Jan. 7, 2011.

So my question is, will she be good in terms of boarding the ship and whatnot and not having any issues, or should we renew her passport to be on the safe side? If we need too, we want to do it now and not have to worry about it later. Thanks

Hey everyone, we just booked a cruise for New Years, woot! Been trying to plan a cruise for a while, and with my daughter being on winter break from college this sounded perfect. Anyways, she got her passport when she was 14, and she's 19 now. It expires Jan. 25, 2011. Our cruise leaves Dec. 31, 2011, and gets back on Jan. 7, 2011.

So my question is, will she be good in terms of boarding the ship and whatnot and not having any issues, or should we renew her passport to be on the safe side? If we need too, we want to do it now and not have to worry about it later. Thanks

Well since it already expired per you post, it needs to be renewed.

If you meant 2012, it still needs to be renewed.

Assuming you meant her passport expires in Jan 2012, she will need to renew her passport. If the passport has less than six month until expiration, it cannot be used. For practical purposes, it expires six month before the stated date. Fortunately there is still plenty of time to renew.

Thanks guys, and yes I didn't proofread my post before I posted it, but I changed it until 2012. It expires in 2012, and on Celebrity's website we couldn't find much information on the six month rule. We were trying to figure out what we needed to do and get it in order before she leaves for college. Thanks! Our cruise is Dec. 31st, 2011, to Jan. 7th, 2012 btw. Sorry about all the errors.

Hey everyone, we just booked a cruise for New Years, woot! Been trying to plan a cruise for a while, and with my daughter being on winter break from college this sounded perfect. Anyways, she got her passport when she was 14, and she's 19 now. It expires Jan. 25, 2012. Our cruise leaves Dec. 31, 2011, and gets back on Jan. 7, 2011.

Our travel agent and most travellers recommend that you should renew if there is less than 6 months remaining.

Some countries will not let you in if you have less than six months left.

Thanks for the information. We will start the process of getting her a new passport. We've never had to worry about this before because when we first started cruising you just needed some ID and a birth certificate.

You can renew via web/mail like we have

go to the passport website for instructions...It's a breeze

I'd definitely recommend renewing it. However, the six month rule is usually intended for visitors coming into one of those countries that require it, for an extended stay, not for cruise passengers who are generally considered to be "in transit" and not subject to that six month requirement. Renewing it would also spare her from comments by an overzealous customs inspector about the fact that the passport will expire shortly.

Oh, be careful with that statement! I won't go into the horror story I had when taking a cruise in Tahiti--my passport expired at the end of July and our cruise was in February--I ended up getting it renewed 14 hours before we boarded the plane, a complete nightmare. There was no 'extended stay' involved--fly there, cruise around the islands, fly home.

You are going to have to renew anyway, so just get it done now and spare yourselves the potential for any trouble!

Get it renewed but I am assuming that you are going on a Caribbean cruise over the holidays in which case you will not have any problem whatsoever. The six month period before expiration doesnt involve any of the countries you would be visiting in the Caribbean. There is listed on the internet what countries the 6 month period is a problem.

Loved reading the comments. We tried to renew it online but one of the requirements per the website was you had to be at least 16 when you got your first passport, and if one of the above requirements wasn't met you have to do it in person. She was 14 when we got her passport, so it was valid 5 years, she's 19 now. She had to fill out the "minor" paperwork, and not the "Adult."

We were going to renew it anyways since we're planning on cruising next year anyways and we travel quite frequently, so it's not a big deal about doing it now or then, just wanted to know everyone's thoughts and opinions on it.

Thanks!

Archived