Hawaiian Clothes

Mary Louise

Aloha wear is daily in Hawaii for those of us who live here. Hilo Hatties has nice stuff too. If you have a Costco card, you can get aloha shirts and dresses there at great prices. $18.00 for shirts there vs 35.00 for the same shirt elsewhere.

Enjoy Hawaii !

Thanks soo much to all of the locals for your insight. Really is very helpful!

Oh by the way we will be be couple in the matching Hawaiian prints strolling the streets in early October...LOL

Oh by the way we will be be couple in the matching Hawaiian prints strolling the streets in early October...LOL

I am betting I would NEVER get DH to do that out in a port. I am hoping to get the three of us in matching print outfits one night for dinner & a photo on the cruise.... but I think that would be pushing it for him! :) Hilo Hattie has great prints!! Oh! I just picked up a Tommy Bahama dress on ebay so I am pretty darn excited about that. It is pure silk and I love it!

Youre welcome...and don't worry, our first cruise here together (we had been here 6 months or so) I had the whole family in matching outfits so we could get that family portrait on the ship. All the grandma's were cooing over us and my husband thought he was going to die. But he did it. While the family portrait came out horribly, the couples picture we took came out rather nice. :)

Aloha wear is daily in Hawaii for those of us who live here. Hilo Hatties has nice stuff too. If you have a Costco card, you can get aloha shirts and dresses there at great prices. $18.00 for shirts there vs 35.00 for the same shirt elsewhere.

Enjoy Hawaii !

Where is the Costco located?

There are 3 on Oahu, 1 on Maui, and 1 (I believe) near Kona. Of the 3 that are on Oahu, the closest to Aloha Tower will be the one in Iwilei which is about 1-2 miles west on Nimitz Highway (the highway right in front of Aloha Tower).

Spleen

Hi Mary,

I have been to Hilo Hatties several times and found that if you are on the small range of the size scale ie. (under size 14) you are fine all the way around. If you are 14 and up you have to be careful of the fitted garments because it seems that their in their fitted garments Large is a 14 and XL is a small 16. The MuuMuus are pretty true to size I always buy a XL and I wear

a large 16 or a 18. I stay away from the ladies blouses that have darts and go for the shirt style (straight with no darts). For men the sizes are pretty true. My DH wears a Large whether I buy it at home or at Hilo Hatties.

I hope that this helps you.

DeAnne

Rayon is traditionally considered non-breathable material. Cotton is considered one of the more breathable fabrics. Not sure where silk lies on that but I find it breathes quite well for me. Of course, these days with newly developed breathable synthetics (such as Nike's Dry-Fit material), all bets are up in the air.

Spleen

I've never had a problem with fine, soft rayon as a comfortable fabric for hot weather. For me, even the very thin silks don't seem to breathe as well. But that's just me. DH and I both think the perfect shirt is a finely woven (very soft) light cotton/rayon blend. I really think it's personal preference. Silk on warm evenings in Hawaii is great for me; during the day, not so much. Whatever I wear has to be soft and light. I don't wear polyester because it doesn't breathe and I find it extremely uncomfortable, even when blended with cotton or rayon. I also don't like linen. I've discovered that lightweight Tencel is really comfortable, packs well, and breathes nicely too.

beachchick

Hey, my family wants to stick out like the goofy tourists that we are and get matching aloha shirts and dresses. I've found a couple of sites online where I can outfit the whole family for about $110, but just curious if K-Mart and Walmart have the coordinated fashions for the whole family, or just different items in each department? The Walmart here in Arizona has some cute boys and men's stuff, but none of it matches and they really don't have the ladies and girls stuff that matches either.

Suzanne

Hiflamingo: where and what day is the swap meet? Please say it is on Monday!

Grace

Its Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday...6am-3pm except game days. It is only every day of the week during the Christmas week. Sorry.

I've found a couple of sites online where I can outfit the whole family for about $110, but just curious if K-Mart and Walmart have the coordinated fashions for the whole family, or just different items in each department? .

Suzanne

I wouldnt count on it. You just never know what you will find. I can tell you for sure Hilo Hatties will have matching outfits, but Kmart and Walmart, I find, are hit-and-miss on patterns, sizes and colors. You could always wait until you got here and if Kmart fails you, you can walk across to Hilo Hatties.

I've found a couple of sites online where I can outfit the whole family for about $110

Suzanne,

Would you mind sharing these sites? I would like to do this with my family one night on our cruise for a photo. Other than Hilo Hattie, what did you find?

Here's the web-sites that I found that sell matching Hawaii Clothing for the whole family. Some are more expensive than others, but at most of them you can outfit a family of 4 for around $80-$120. Lava hut has some beautiful, higher end dresses and shirts for about $70 for the dress and $65 for the shirts. Several of the sights have a "matching" section that makes shopping easier.

http://www.hilohatties.com

http://www.tydelhawaii.com

http://www.hawaiianshirtstore.com

http://www.jadefashion.com

http://www.alohafunwear.com

http://www.lavahut.com

http://www.shirtsofhawaii.com

Archived