Hawaiian Clothes

Mary Louise

The color that you're seeing on the lei is usually a ribbon to cover up (as you guessed) the area that the lei is tied together. Spleen

Thanks Spleen! I hadn't noticed it was a ribbon - in the pictures it looked like it could have been a flower, but the photos weren't that detailed. That makes complete sense! Thanks again!

On the other hand (or neck, as the case may be), ti leaves and other flora are frequently braided into the "open" style lei traditional to maile (a fragrant vine usually found in upland forests).

Hmmm, I seem to recall that "haku" is the Hawaiian word for "weave" and refers to the method of construction (weave/braid, as opposed to stringing, winding, knotting, etc.). Although most haku lei are seen as head lei they are also used as hatbands or seen on horses (in parades).

Also - Besides being polished and strung as lei (traditionally for alii only), kukui nuts are (were?) also used as a flavoring (called inamona), laxative, dye (from the shell), candle, and as an ingredient in oils and shampoos. Versatile little buggah, eh?

Do I know some useless stuff or what?

Archived