Past Hawaiian cruisers on POA ! Step forward and give some advice

jordans mom

Looking for your advice on packing for Hawaii and excursions. Going on POA at the end of August.

On past cruises (and I got better each time) - I find I generally overpacked.

Maybe because of the sea days - I ended up in my swimsuit most of the day with a tshirt and shorts !

This time I want to get to the bare minimum. So here's where you come in!

Just about every day is an excursion.....so I am not sure how to make sure I do that!

• What would you suggest strongly I pack or pick up to bring on board!
  • We like to go to 1-2 specialty restaurants while on board - is POA more casual in them than the other NCL routes?
  • Are the excursions all about shorts and sneakers :D ?
  • At nite - I would prefer to dress in capris + lite top/sweater ... will that be "dressy" enough to hang out in the lounges onboard POA?
  • How was the White Hot Party on POA? Found all our whites - should I bother packing them?

Thanks ! :)

And let me know what other TIPS you have!!!

We are really getting psyched now ..... :D

Have you had a chance to check out the PORT OF CALL - HAWAII board? There's a lot of valuable info for Hawaiian trips and I might suggest you post your thread there as well. This will double your chances for getting tips from members.

Enjoy your cruise!

Looking for your advice on packing for Hawaii and excursions. Going on POA at the end of August.

Maybe because of the sea days - I ended up in my swimsuit most of the day with a tshirt and shorts !

Just about every day is an excursion.....so I am not sure how to make sure I do that!

• We like to go to 1-2 specialty restaurants while on board - is POA more casual in them than the other NCL routes?
  • At nite - I would prefer to dress in capris + lite top/sweater ... will that be "dressy" enough to hang out in the lounges onboard POA?
  • How was the White Hot Party on POA? Found all our whites - should I bother packing them?

First of all, I am so jealous!! That is a wonderful trip - I am sure you will love it!

The POA is very casual, probably because Hawaii is very casual. With every day being a port day, you are off the ship so much more and dressing up for dinner is not a priority.

Because there were 4 of us, we decided to rent a car in each port and make our own fun. We only went on one shore excursion, on Kauai. Renting cars was easy as all of the companies will have vans waiting at the ship to take you to their locations. Just reserve them ahead of time. Rates in Hawaii are pretty competitive.

Depends on the types of excursions you're going to be doing. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of beaches, comfortable walking shoes would be good. Shorts and t-shirts/tanks are great. They encourage Hawaiian shirts so bring them if you've got them :)

If you're going to Haleakala and Volcanoes National Park, bring long pants and a sweater. You might not need them for Volcanoes but you will at the top of Haleakala.

On the ship, it is really casual, though we did find that many dressed up for "Dress Up or Not" night on our sailing. People also dressed up to dine in Jefferson's Bistro, but I can't speak for the other specialty restaurants since that was the only one we went to.

Have a great time, this is such a wonderful itinerary!

Shorts and tees are perfect!

I bought Keens sandals which were great for the volcanic rocky beaches and for the wet waterfalls! I wore them on the plane to keep the weight out of my suit case!

I light weight rain jacket!

I wore capri's and a light sweater for dinner no problems

we did not do the White hot, sorry

The ship provides beach towels but bring a beach bag, again I used mine as my carryon

I brought refillable water bottles to use on our trips

We rented a car at each port and loved it!

Have fun!

PoA was a wonderful experience, probably our best overall, and that's saying something. Having the entire crew speak English was such a plus!

If you take a helicopter excursion do not wear shorts for two reasons. You will be cold #1, and #2 if you have light skin, it will act as a mirror and when you look out the window you will see your bare legs! (My daughter did this!). Also, wear black clothing for the same reason.

There were just two of us sailing together and we still rented a car . This gave us freedom to stop where we wanted for lunch or not. We especially enjoyed eating Hawaiian outside a Luau. We ate in Lahaina at the place that prepares the Luau food, Aloha Mixed Plate Lunch. Do not miss this!

Parking a single car is easier than parking a van on the road to Hana, so you can stop for every little thing or not. Keep your windows down so you can hear the waterfalls and know that you'll be needing to stop!

THANKS

I got out my suitcases yesterday. 1 per person + carryon!

Isaw out hotel has laundry so I can get some stuff washed before we board as we will be on Oahu for 3 days before we board plus anything we wear while we travelled to the Island - so that will help keep the bulk down

We were on POA 2/06. We met 2 men who take a cruise together every year. On the 4th or 5th day I complimented them at dinner for looking nice. They laughed and said they each brought one nice resort casual shirt and tonight they had buttoned them all the way up. Saw them almost every night and never noticed!! Good one Curtis and Mike!

We were on POA 2/06. We met 2 men who take a cruise together every year. On the 4th or 5th day I complimented them at dinner for looking nice. They laughed and said they each brought one nice resort casual shirt and tonight they had buttoned them all the way up. Saw them almost every night and never noticed!! Good one Curtis and Mike!

Only 2 guys would think of this....LOL......:rolleyes:

THANKS

I got out my suitcases yesterday. 1 per person + carryon!

Isaw out hotel has laundry so I can get some stuff washed before we board as we will be on Oahu for 3 days before we board plus anything we wear while we travelled to the Island - so that will help keep the bulk down

The old addage (about packing) to put all your clothes etc. out on the bed and then remove half of it really does work. We did manage to keep the weight of each checked bag to 50 lbs, too. Shoes really weigh a lot. One for day, one for night.

For the most part, unless you have a terrible spill in the dining room, the clothes you wear to dinner for only a couple of hours are not dirty and can be worn again. Just be sure to hang them up after wearing! Remember that with freestyle cruising you will not have the same table mates wondering why you're wearing the same clothes (unless it's your own family, and they KNOW what you're doing).

Or if you didn't dress up too much for dinner, your dinner clothes from one evening can be your shore excursion or ship's clothes the following day (won't be ship;s clothes on Pride of America since there are no sea days, unless you don't go ashore.

We just returned from a Princess cruise. There was a laundromat down the hall, and I did wash clothes which helped, too. So your idea of washing clothes at the hotel is a good one.

Plus, perhaps the cost of using the ship's laundry is less than the cost of checking an additional airline bag?

Depends on the types of excursions you're going to be doing. Unless you're going to be doing a lot of beaches, comfortable walking shoes would be good. Shorts and t-shirts/tanks are great. They encourage Hawaiian shirts so bring them if you've got them :)

If you're going to Haleakala and Volcanoes National Park, bring long pants and a sweater. You might not need them for Volcanoes but you will at the top of Haleakala.

On the ship, it is really casual, though we did find that many dressed up for "Dress Up or Not" night on our sailing. People also dressed up to dine in Jefferson's Bistro, but I can't speak for the other specialty restaurants since that was the only one we went to.

Have a great time, this is such a wonderful itinerary!

This reminded me so much about something I read on cruise critic when planning our Hawaii cruise. Someone who lived on one of the islands gave a piece of advice and that was to wear your old ratty clothes and blend in with the locals because you would not see any locals wearing matching shirts and shorts.

When you do dress "resort casual" you are noticed as a tourist and if driving a rental car, can become a little more apt to be targeted for a theft. Sure, it might not happen at all, but I thought it was a cute tip.

Archived