"Alaska Here We Come"

We are 3 couples planning a cruise to Alaska for 2012. We are major fans of Royal Caribbean and would like to book a trip thru them. It is our friends 40th wedding anniversary and they have never been on a cruise but have always wanted to take a cruise to Alaska. Their only requirement is that they can do the train in Skagway. The only month that we cannot go is June. None of us have any idea which other months would be best or if we should fly to Seattle or Vancouver etc. Please weigh in with any kind of information as it will all be valuable to us in our quest for the perfect cruise to Alaska.

We did Alaska two years ago on Princess and absolutely LOVED it. :D I would go again in a heartbeat. We went July 6th for a 7-day cruise. The timing was awesome for eagle-viewing, but not for bears. The weather was gorgeous (some days were hot enough for shorts, some days you needed a sweatshirt--especially near the glaciers). The only rain was on the day at sea from Vancouver to Ketchikan.

The ports were wonderful- my favorite was Skagway. There is a brewery on the main drag in Skagway that makes fabulous beer... and they don't bottle or ship it, so you can only get it there. We didn't do the train, but we heard about it from others on our cruise who did- it sounded like fun.

We were told that if we were there two to three weeks later, we would have seen the salmon spawning, which brings the bears. So I guess it depends on what you want to see while you are there. I'd say anytime in July or early August would be perfect.

PS: The picture near my name was taken at 11:30pm on the last night of the cruise... the sun was JUST starting to set. Ahhhh... what a great cruise! ;)

We cruised to Alaska at the very end of June and the weather was perfect! We only needed jackets or sweaters in the morning or evening. The rest of the time was short sleeves. If you are talking about the White Pass railroad, we took that trip and it was great. We saw lots of waterfalls along the way and the views were magnificent. We went to the end of the line in Canada and then turned our seats around for the trip back down. I'd do another Alaska cruise in a heartbeat!

Random tips from our experience....

1. When to go is compromise between going at Solstice (June 21 or so) and weather. Later in July into August might be slightly less chance of drizzle and clouds. Soearly to mid-July woud be the trade off for longer daylight.

2. Smaller ships are better. They can go into passages that mega ships can't and can get closer to glaciers.

3. Balcony is a must

4. We opted for Northbound all the way to Seward. Left from Vancouver. Seattle departures tend to be round trip and return outside Vancouver Island where water can be rougher.

5. Pack clothes that can be layered - don't forget a cap and gloves or mittens for when near glacier(s).

6. So much time is spent looking at scenery that activities on the ship take a backseat.

7. Seattle is a great place to visit pre-cruise even if sailing from Vancouver but getting to Vancouver can be a hassle. If time allows that is. Vancouver is very interesting too.

8. Port or Starboard does not matter much (depending on direction). Mountains are taller to east but often cloud covered so view is pretty muh the same either way.

9. If there is a stop at Ketchikan make every effort to do a tour to Misty Fjords NP. Spectacular cliffs and water falls. We took jet boat in and floatplane back to ship. Think Yosemite valley but flooded with water and toured by boat.

10. In Juneau the quirky Glacier Gardens is a fun visit. We did on our own taking city bus (Mendenhall route) and saved a bundle. Upside down trees and deep rainforest gardens.

We have booked the Radiance leaving Seward on June 1. Price reasonable for balcony facing land side.

Planning on flying into Anchorage, then train to Seward and out of Seattle; shuttle from Vancouver. This is all based on price.

I did a Princess cruise four years ago, but did not stop at Icy Point. I realize that this is a tender stop, but want to see it.

Renting car in Skagway, but other than that undecided on other things.

I'm already so excited. Hope to see you!!

We have done the RCI Alaska cruise in May.Luckily had great weather and all the ports were well stocked and were very happy for the cruise season to start (given the choice I would opt for this "shoulder season" again)..We did the North bound out of Vancouver and had a portside balcony..What an amazing way to start a cruise with the sailout under Lionsgate Bridge and past Stanley Park....We used the ship arranged train transfers on the Grandview Alaska Railroad from Seward right into the Anchorage Airport and it was one of the highlights of our cruise...Enjoy !!

Weather is a real crap shoot in Alaska. One week you can have sunny/dry all week, the next can be rainy all week. Ketchican is a rain forest with more rain days then dry. However, in Alaska, the rain doesn't stop the excursions (usually - unless it's helicopter/fly excursion). You won't regret your trip. We have been on 3 cruises (land/and sea) to Alaska. My favorite of all the places we have been - so gorgeous! We have been at the end of May (had superb weather!) and in September twice (also great weather except one port we had rain all day). Usually if it does rain, it can rain/stop/sun comes out, etc. You just can't depend on WHAT it will be like - just be prepared. The advantage of going in September is that the cruise rates are usually less as the season comes to a close (everyone wants to go in June/July/August). Also, ALL SOUVENIRS ARE 50% OFF! Love that part! :) If you go mid summer, you'll get mostly sunlight all around the clock (not easy sleeping!). If you go Sept. it will be dark about the same hours it gets dark in the lower 48. Any time pretty much the sailings go to Alaska is good. Each has it's own special-ness. You can go round trip from Seattle. However, going from Vancouver you get to sail the "Inside Passage" which is a destination in itself. We have done both and my preference is to go from Vancouver (you can take a train from Seattle to Vancouver - another wonderful trip and very easy and relaxing to do. Takes you right into the heart of Vancouver). The train from Seattle only goes once a day (a.m.) and returns from Vancouver (p.m.) but it is a wonderful trip in itself! Vancouver is also a beautiful city with so much to do/see - not to mention the world class cuisine. Whatever you decide will be fantastic and hopefully you will enjoy enough to go back again. ;)

We are 3 couples planning a cruise to Alaska for 2012. We are major fans of Royal Caribbean and would like to book a trip thru them. It is our friends 40th wedding anniversary and they have never been on a cruise but have always wanted to take a cruise to Alaska. Their only requirement is that they can do the train in Skagway. The only month that we cannot go is June. None of us have any idea which other months would be best or if we should fly to Seattle or Vancouver etc. Please weigh in with any kind of information as it will all be valuable to us in our quest for the perfect cruise to Alaska.

We did the Ultimate 14-Night Alaska cruise in 2009 on the Radiance and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We went in September and despite everything that I read about Alaskan weather, it was nice and sunny. So yes, September was a great month for us. The glass of the Radiance is perfect for all the beauties Alaska offers. Even saw porpoises from the glass elevator.

In Skagway we did the train too. Drove to Emerald Lake by bus and returned to Skagway by train. It was an amazing trip. But if you're in one of the cars in the front and want to stand outside, the smoke of the train really hurts they eyes ;)

Whatever you chose to do, you will love it. It was the best 14 days of my life

Cindy

Make sure you use the Alaska ports board! They will be a real help in planning.

DO NOT go out of Seattle. You will miss a lot of inside passage miles as they cruise the Pacific ocean. (That is NOT what you go to Alaska for) If you can do a one way to Alaska, then by all means, that is a good plan. Better yet, fly to Anchorage and take a couple of extra days there and cruise back. If you can get the time a cruise/tour is even better.

The comment so far are right on the mark.

You will NEED to look at all the cruise lines though. Princess has some of the best runs, but in the end most of the cruise ports will be the same. I for one vastly prefer Hubbard Glacier to Glacier Bay N.P. I have done Princess, Celebrity, RCL and Carnival in Alaska over the years.

This summer was our 20th year of going to Alaska. (Took the ferries for two weeks) Watch out, it can really get to you. :D

You might want to check some of the Alaska Repos in May/Sept. Some nice deals, long trip, and many times, a little bit different ports. Did the Radiance May Ultimate in 2010, was wonderful, got a great deal out of a group booking by my usual TA.

If you aren't tied to RCL, you may want to check out HAL's 14 day Amsterdam RT's out of Seattle. A LOT of ports you won't see on your typical cruise on that one, but she isn't cheap. I'm hoping to do it one day.

Also, just from my first time experience, Alaska seems like a much better place for doing your own thing for excursions then many of the other locations. We used Chillcoot(sp) for the Bus/Train in Kechikan to Emerald lake (bus first, train home). And Captain Davey and the Esther G Sea Taxi in Sitka (Best excursion ever!), Chartered the whole boat (6 people), and found 2 other couples on our cruise to take it. Amazing!

Yes I am.:)

Thanks Rockford....We have daughters and famlies in Holland, Traverse City and Suttons Bay. I enjoyed the link very much that you gave me. Very detailed and a lot of information. Maybe next year for our Wings..

We just got back from a cruise on the Radiance southbound from Seward to Vancouver. We flew to Anchorage, took the train to Seward, 2 days early. In Seward we hiked to the Exit Glacier the day we arrived, took an 8 hour Kenai Fjords trip the next day (super), checked out the Sea Life Center and the yarn shop the day we boarded the ship. There was no line and we were onboard by 1 pm. The Radiance is a wonderful ship. We had balcony cabin 8104 which has a slightly larger balcony on the port side. You can't see that far forward but I loved the larger balcony. The mystery dinner theater was great fun. With 4 ports and the Hubbard Glacier we did not have that much time to do ship things. The weather was great except it rained all day in Ketchikan. This did not stop us from enjoying the port with our rain pants and coats. In Juneau we did the Mendenhall Glacier on our own, found the yarn store and jeep trip. The jeep trip was really good. In Skagway we did the train ride and Liarsville excursion and did a walking tour on our own where we found the quilt/yarn store. In Icy Strait Point we did a whale watch with F.I.S.H.E.S. In Ketchikan we used the bus system to go to the yarn store, Totem Bight, Creek Street, and the Heritage Center. We had a super, wonderful time and a whale breached right in front of us in Icy Strait Point.

Thanks Rockford....We have daughters and famlies in Holland, Traverse City and Suttons Bay. I enjoyed the link very much that you gave me. Very detailed and a lot of information. Maybe next year for our Wings..

When I get back from my Aug 12th sailing I'm sure I'll have a few tips and pics to post. Any thing that comes to mind before I depart that you'd like me to look into while on cruise just post here and I'll do my best to follow up on.

Hi there,

We just returned from Vancouver to Seward on radiance of the Seas (RCI) cruise/tour and HIGHLY recommend it. The Radiance is a gorgeous ship with lots of glass to see the beauty of Alaska no matter where you are. We were so busy with excursions that we did very little of the ships activities, which we normally do. We did do the White pass railroad tour that went to the Yukon suspension bridge, did the train and then went to the reenactment camp of a gold rush camp for lunch and gold panning. We had wanted to do more than the basic train ride and this one sounded interesting. I was not so much interested in the gold panning initially but gotta say it was actually fun and between my husband and I we got $46. worth of gold, at todays prices! Had a pendant made with our gold so it was worth it. I agree with others that Vancouver was the place to start and it didn't turn out to be a big deal to get to, just do a search online of airlines going to Vancouver from your local city and there were a lot of flights to choose from. The views from the inside passage were gorgeous! We had an aft balcony which gave us views of both sides of the ship. RCI did an awesome job with our post cruise tour as well. We did tour # 17 which had stops at Seward, Aleyeska, Denali for 2 nights, Talkeetna and Anchorage. This one does the Tundra wilderness tour into Denali which is their medium length tour and well worth doing. We had awesome weather for our July8 cruise with the only rain we encountered being the day before we left Vancouver, the day we were in Denali and our last couple of days when we were in Homer, which we added on to the end of our tour ourselves. The tour included one train ride which was between Talkeetna and Anchorage and then we added a round trip train ourselves from Anchorage back to Seward and then a return a few days later to bring us back to Anchorage for our flight home. OUr favorite train trip was the one from Anchorage to seward on a beautiful day, the scenery on that stretch is gorgeous! The white Pass one was nice too, just different. Part of our tour too was the Resurrection bay cruise out to see Sea life such as whales, sea lions, puffins, otters etc. And that was nice as well. WE were not expecting to see so many beautiful flowers in Alaska, their beauty blew us away! So much to see there, an awesome state indeed! ENJOY!

We went in late August on a cruisetour (Celebrity Millennium), land first then cruise Seward to Vancouver. We loved it and are planning a repeat trip in 2013, maybe a self-drive land trip first this time. We had exceptional weather, we were told the three weeks prior had been rainy every day so you never know.

Go for it !

p1000314.jpg

My mom and I did the July 15th southbound Radiance sailing and LOVED it! We did land tour #11 first. We flew to fairbanks through seattle and then did the 5 day landtour which was awesome! Stopped in Fairbanks, Denali (includes the wilderness tour which was amazing!), Talkeetna, Anchorage, and ends in Seward. At the end of the cruise we took a bus (quick shuttle) from the port back to Seattle and stayed there for 2 days before flying home. We had Junior Suite 1078 which was awesome as it was on the land side going southbound. The top two excursions we did were McKinley Flyer with Glacier Landing in Talkeetna and the Photo Safari by Land and Sea in Juneau. Don't do the Neets Bay Bear Watch in Ketchikan HUGE rip off!! And I thought Liarsville was a waste (I was nervous to even eat the food that was at the salmon bake). As for the weather it was literally all over the place. I actually got sunburn in Fairbanks, but needed a northface for glacier landing, and a raincoat in Ketchikan is a must! We saw tons of animals including lots of bear on various parts of the trip, plus moose! I think the best thing you can do is pick the time that works best for you/price wise and then pack for any weather you may encounter. Honestly it won't matter what the weather is you will be in awe of everything else and not even notice!

I will be cruising Sept 2 and I will be writing a full review when I get back home (which will be on Sept 13) ... So keep an eye out for it around the 14th or 15th.

I am doing the Northbound (Vancouver to Seward) and will be spending 2 nights in Seward and 2 in Anchorage. I also will have my first Aft cabin (1104)

I hope to include information on Vancouver(Spending 4 nights), Seward and Anchorage along with reviews of the ship and my time spent in port. (This will of course contain LOTS of pics!)

Is there anything specific you want me to find out about for you?

(BTW, I did a roundtrip from Seattle May of last year on Carnival Spirit and LOVED it ... but I heard so many people say you get much better scenery if you DON'T do roundtrip)

I agree weather is a crap shoot in Alaska. Your best bet is last week of June through July. We have been known to have a snow flurry in Sept. All of my high school reunions are held the weekend around July 4th in Juneau, for a reason. Of the last four, three have been sunny. The prices tend to be higher to cruise in July but in my opinion worth it. Rain is a given commodity but a beautiful sunny day affords you the opportunity to see the snow peaked mountains, which takes your breath away! Ahhh, just enjoyed an Alaska moment! No place like home!

Archived