Iceland - over night or 2 ports?

Embracedbylife

Considering two different cruises. One stops at Reykjavik, Iceland only but for an overnight there so we'd have 2 days. The other stops at both Reykjavik, Iceland and Akureyri, Iceland each just for a day. Would you recommend the overnight in Reykjavik or the cruise with 2 different ports a day each?

Considering two different cruises. One stops at Reykjavik, Iceland only but for an overnight there so we'd have 2 days. The other stops at both Reykjavik, Iceland and Akureyri, Iceland each just for a day. Would you recommend the overnight in Reykjavik or the cruise with 2 different ports a day each?

We stopped at both ports when we did the Norway/Iceland cruise and I much preferred Akureyri to Reykjavik, so I would go for the two rather than the stopover. Reykjavik was raining and Akureyri was a sunny day, so no doubt that influenced my opinion of both places.

IMO .. For us the 2 stop option won hands down. While we enjoyed Reykjavik over all, we rented a car and did the Golden Circle on our own, and still had a couple of hours in town. Remember Reykjavik is a pretty small city and I at least would be hard pressed to spend two full days there. We we're glad to have the chance split our time and see Akureyi and also have the chance see the northern part of Iceland .

Once again this only my opinion, whatever you decide enjoy Iceland !! (We Did !!)

Srpilo

Thanks for the quick responses! The cruise that stops at both Icleand ports has the following Norwegian stops:

Bergen, Norway;

Olden, Norway;

Hellesylt, Norway;

Geiranger, Norway;

Alesund, Norway;

the cruiset that has the overnight in Reykjavik stops at:

Bergen, Norway;

Flam, Norway;

Geiranger, Norway;

Lerwick,

Shetland Islands, Scotland;

Klaksvik.

I heard that Flam is a great place to stop so that has me leaning towards the cruise that only does the overnight in Reykjavik.

So now I'm wondering which is the best to see Flam and Reykjavik only or missing flam and seeing both Icleand ports along with Olden and

Hellesylt, Norway.

good thing is both cruises stop at Geiranger and Bergen, Norway.

Thanks again for your advice!!

Reykjavik has a tricky entrance into the harbor and if the wind gusts to 35mph, the ship can't navigate it. We had to miss it on the Crown last September for this reason and it's apparently not unusual. If you have your heart set on Reykjavik, I wouldn't depend on taking a cruise there since you won't know until the ship arrives whether it'll be able to get into the harbor.

Thanks for the quick responses! The cruise that stops at both Icleand ports has the following Norwegian stops:

Bergen, Norway;

Olden, Norway;

Hellesylt, Norway;

Geiranger, Norway;

Alesund, Norway;

the cruiset that has the overnight in Reykjavik stops at:

Bergen, Norway;

Flam, Norway;

Geiranger, Norway;

Lerwick,

Shetland Islands, Scotland;

Klaksvik.

I heard that Flam is a great place to stop so that has me leaning towards the cruise that only does the overnight in Reykjavik.

So now I'm wondering which is the best to see Flam and Reykjavik only or missing flam and seeing both Icleand ports along with Olden and

Hellesylt, Norway.

good thing is both cruises stop at Geiranger and Bergen, Norway.

Thanks again for your advice!!

We did the 1st itinerary with the 2 Iceland stops. It's called the "Fire & Ice" itinerary... Love it !!!

Srpilo

We were fortunate and had picture perfect weather for both ports and enjoyed them both.

Our itinerary also stopped in Lerwick which to this day is a favorite place for us and would return anytime along with Torshaven in the Faroe Islands.

I don't think you'll be disappointed regardless of which you choose, have fun!

Reykjavik has a tricky entrance into the harbor and if the wind gusts to 35mph, the ship can't navigate it. We had to miss it on the Crown last September for this reason and it's apparently not unusual. If you have your heart set on Reykjavik, I wouldn't depend on taking a cruise there since you won't know until the ship arrives whether it'll be able to get into the harbor.

first Iceland voyage (only a one day stop at Reykjavik scheduled): Due to storms in the area did not go within hundreds of miles of Reykjavik

second Iceland voyage (one day stops scheduled at both Akureyri and Reykjavik): Picture perfect day in Akureyri, but it was too windy for the ship to dock. Port was skipped. Made it to Reykjavik and had a great day.

I recommend the two stop itinerary. With luck you will make both ports. With a little less luck, you will make at least one of them.

first Iceland voyage (only a one day stop at Reykjavik scheduled): Due to storms in the area did not go within hundreds of miles of Reykjavik

second Iceland voyage (one day stops scheduled at both Akureyri and Reykjavik): Picture perfect day in Akureyri, but it was too windy for the ship to dock. Port was skipped. Made it to Reykjavik and had a great day.

I recommend the two stop itinerary. With luck you will make both ports. With a little less luck, you will make at least one of them.

good points! Thanks! Anyone have an opinion of whether they'd say it's better to make it to 2 ports in Icleand and miss Flam in Norway? or is Flam really that incredible not to miss? Itinerary 1 doesn't include Flam.

thanks! what did you do there?

Okay, so now I make myself look an idiot. If you can get past the fact that my cats have their very own blog, and if you follow the two links below it will take you to the posts where I described Reykjavik and Akureyri.

http://twodevoncats.blogspot.com/2010/08/wordless-wednesday-and-reykjavik.html

http://twodevoncats.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-holiday-photos.html

I've not been to Flam but I see you'll be visiting several other ports in Norway. For me the best part is sailing through the fjords, beautiful scenery. I don't think Flam would be a deal breaker for me. ;)

Thanks everyone for all your input!! I think either cruise will be outstanding. :) It'll likely come down to pricing and airfare now! But looking forward to booking one or the other. The first option is with Princess and the second option is with Royal Caribbean (only cruised princess before so more inclined to go with them but willing to consider trying something new!).

Archived