Stockholm Changing of the Guard

I wouldn't mind seeing part of this ceremony, but with a short stay in Stockholm I don't want to spend a lot of time standing around to reserve a spot. I wondered instead if there'd be a good vantage spot to watch the guard marching, without watching the actual changing (which is apparently a 40 minute ceremony). Any suggestions?

I wouldn't mind seeing part of this ceremony, but with a short stay in Stockholm I don't want to spend a lot of time standing around to reserve a spot. I wondered instead if there'd be a good vantage spot to watch the guard marching, without watching the actual changing (which is apparently a 40 minute ceremony). Any suggestions?

In most cases they start off from army museum at corner Riddargatan/Sibyllegatan see this list:

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/Vaktparad%20med%20musik%20w%2026-52.pdf

but I don't know the exact route they take to Gamla Stan.

It is true, to secure a decent viewing spot, you should arrive about 1/2 hour before the ceremony is to begin. Once it starts, and the band marches in et al, it can go on for almost an hour. We didn't stay for the entire ceremony, leaving after maybe 1/2 an hour. So the total time we spent there was about 1 hour, and I consider it well worth it. I know several from this area said it is no big deal, but for us tourists, especially the ones from the US, we have nothing like this, so it is a big deal to us.

Here is a short video and a few pix of this colorful ceremony

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1373.mp4

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1366.mp4

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1301.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1306.jpg

Cheers

Len

If you just want to see them come marching the place to stand is on the north facing side of the palace. In front of you will be the bridge called Norrbro, where they will come marching towards the palace. On this side of the palace it is possible to walk up, so that you will have a view from above.

Your picture will be something like this, only on most days there are no horses.

Norrbro2.jpg

When they reach the palace they will turn left and walk around the palace to where the ceremony will be.

We were triple-lucky during our visit to Stockholm with the military changing of the guard, its large band, etc. We kind of stumbled on it happening, things were not too busy/crowded that day . . . AND . . . I'm 6'2" so I can kind of see over folks better. Below are some of my pictures. Much will depend on how busy things are that day, number of cruise ships in port, etc. As one of the pictures show, this event locations goes on right handy to the Gamia Stan and other key attractions in Stockholm. Don't feel you need to be there an hour ahead. Many will watch it and then move on, opening up some viewing places, etc. Hopefully, luck will be with you as happened for us.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 26,102 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,889 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard was one of our highlights from visiting this historic capital in Sweden. Loved this part of our visit.:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

While at the Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

1A-StHolm-GuardsMarching.jpg

9-StockholmMil.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts. The main "guard changing" ceremony happens on the other side of the Palace and near this main church.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

In most cases they start off from army museum at corner Riddargatan/Sibyllegatan see this list:

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/Vaktparad%20med%20musik%20w%2026-52.pdf

but I don't know the exact route they take to Gamla Stan.

when we get off the ship (princess Emerald) how to we get to the changing of the guards. what kind of transportation do we use and what is the price. Should we buy a ho ho ticket.

when we get off the ship (princess Emerald) how to we get to the changing of the guards. what kind of transportation do we use and what is the price. Should we buy a ho ho ticket.

Depends where your ship docks. Celebrity Constellation docked at Stadsgarden 165/167, and there was a HO-HO boat stop right at the dock, jnust follow a painted line on the street. There is also a stop at Djurgarden where some ships dock.

There are two HO-HO boat lines in Stockholm, using the same stops and running the same routes, but they do not accept each other's tickets. Both lines have a Royal Palace stop at the northern end of Gamla Stan (Old Town), basically the point from which Terry took his picture of the church and the Royal Palace. Sorry, I don't recall the cost of the day ticket, but it was probably comparable to HO-HO busses in other cities.

I don't know if there is a HO-HO bus in Stockholm, but the boats are immense fun, and a great way to see different parts of the city. Incidentally, the first boat or two in the morning usually go directly to the Vasa Museum before going to the southern Old Town stop which is normally the next stop from Stadsgarden. This diversion from schedule accomodates people who want to get to the museum before the crowds.

• 2 weeks later...

At the Royal Palace:

May - August: The changing of the guard can be witnessed with a Military Band daily at 1215 hours (Sundays and holidays at 1315 hours). In the summer season, you may even see guards on horses approaching Stockholm's Royal Palace (especially in May)!

April, September, October: The Swedish changing of the guards can be seen Wednesdays & Saturdays at 1215 hours, and Sundays at 1315 hours.

Archived