Princess questions

Just wondering if any Princess frequent cruisers are able to tell me how the US-based Princess ships differ from the Aussie-based ones. I believe that Sun & Dawn Princess use AUD$$ aboard & don't require tipping. Will this also apply to Sea Princess in the coming season as she is currently US-based. I assume that they have US electrical outlets so we 'll need an adaptor. What about the laundromats? Do the machines take US quarters? My specific interest is in the Sea Princess but know that more of you will have experienced Sun & Dawn.

Can you get a coffee card onboard? Do you get a robe & slippers in the cabin? Is there a charge for room service. Is cigarette smoke more intrusive than on P&O Aust ships or about the same?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks in advance

Just wondering if any Princess frequent cruisers are able to tell me how the US-based Princess ships differ from the Aussie-based ones. I believe that Sun & Dawn Princess use AUD$$ aboard & don't require tipping. Will this also apply to Sea Princess in the coming season as she is currently US-based. I assume that they have US electrical outlets so we 'll need an adaptor. What about the laundromats? Do the machines take US quarters? My specific interest is in the Sea Princess but know that more of you will have experienced Sun & Dawn.

Can you get a coffee card onboard? Do you get a robe & slippers in the cabin? Is there a charge for room service. Is cigarette smoke more intrusive than on P&O Aust ships or about the same?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks in advance

Sea Princess is the same class of ship as the Sun and Dawn, though a bit "younger". I suspect she will be based in Aus permanently, so some or all power outlets will be modified for us. You ship account will be in AUD. The laundromats will take dollar coins and hopefully there will be a change machine as on the US ships. You can buy coffee and softdrink cards, you ask for a robe from the room steward, but I've not heard of the slippers. Room service is free though I think there is a small charge for pizza delivery.

Very soon, smoking will be banned on balconies and cabins on Princess ships

and you'll only be allowed to smoke in certain areas on deck.There is a notice about this on your Princess personaliser.

I hope this helps.

For the Sea Princess cruises embarking and disembarking in Australian Ports - eg Round Trips Sydney - NZ - Sydney, you can expect everything to operate as it does on Dawn and Sun Princess while they operating out of Australia. It is in Princess' interests to keep their Aussie product consistent. So it will be AUD, no auto tipping, one bottle of wine per person to be brought on board on embarkation and ports along the way. Smoking policy is due to change in 2012. Until then smoking is permitted in staterooms and in a small number of designated public areas, which are easy to avoid if you are not a smoker and a convivial area if you are. Coffee cards are sold on Sun and Dawn so should be on Sea. You need to ask for a robe - never bothered with the slippers. Room service is free apart from pizza delivery as already stated or drinks that you would also pay for at a bar. The bottled water in your room is NOT free. You should be able to get fresh fruit, but I prefer to pick my own from the buffet and be sure it is ripe. At the rear of the main show room there should be several rows of seats that are marked as reserved for less mobile passengers if they run it the same as Dawn and Sun. This is "policed" by a staff member who declares the seats available for all as the show is about to start. Ask away if you have other questions.

Sea Princess is the same class of ship as the Sun and Dawn, though a bit "younger". I suspect she will be based in Aus permanently, so some or all power outlets will be modified for us. You ship account will be in AUD. The laundromats will take dollar coins and hopefully there will be a change machine as on the US ships. You can buy coffee and softdrink cards, you ask for a robe from the room steward, but I've not heard of the slippers. Room service is free though I think there is a small charge for pizza delivery.

Very soon, smoking will be banned on balconies and cabins on Princess ships and you'll only be allowed to smoke in certain areas on deck.There is a notice about this on your Princess personaliser.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much Anna. That's wonderfully helpful.

Keep your eyes open for "happy hours" for platinum and elite cruisers free nibbles and cheap drinks.All Princess ships starting and end in Aus do not have auto tip.

Wow thanks for that Rugbypopsie. We are sailing platinum for the first time thanks to all our P&O Aust cruises.

For the Sea Princess cruises embarking and disembarking in Australian Ports - eg Round Trips Sydney - NZ - Sydney, you can expect everything to operate as it does on Dawn and Sun Princess while they operating out of Australia. It is in Princess' interests to keep their Aussie product consistent. So it will be AUD, no auto tipping, one bottle of wine per person to be brought on board on embarkation and ports along the way. Smoking policy is due to change in 2012. Until then smoking is permitted in staterooms and in a small number of designated public areas, which are easy to avoid if you are not a smoker and a convivial area if you are. Coffee cards are sold on Sun and Dawn so should be on Sea. You need to ask for a robe - never bothered with the slippers. Room service is free apart from pizza delivery as already stated or drinks that you would also pay for at a bar. The bottled water in your room is NOT free. You should be able to get fresh fruit, but I prefer to pick my own from the buffet and be sure it is ripe. At the rear of the main show room there should be several rows of seats that are marked as reserved for less mobile passengers if they run it the same as Dawn and Sun. This is "policed" by a staff member who declares the seats available for all as the show is about to start. Ask away if you have other questions.

Colleen & Harry, thanks especially for the info re the wheelchair in the showlounge. On Celebrity Mercury there was a roped off section with signs & a heap of German pax kept sitting there every night & crew did nothing about it :(

A couple of other things I thought of:

Is a jacket required for men in the MDR on formal nights?

Since P&O went to "cocktail nights", Allan has just been wearing a shirt & tie in the wheelchair, but will take a suit coat if necessary. It was on Celebrity. We have fixed dining on Sea Princess.

Also on reading the "Princess" board there is repeated mention of getting the coffee card "punched" for "specialty" coffees which I assume is coffee from an espresso machine eg cappucino. But they also say they can get unlimited free brewed tea or coffee & hotchocolate using the card but not getting it punched. Is this different to the instant tea & coffee available in horizon Court?

Since P&O went to "cocktail nights", Allan has just been wearing a shirt & tie in the wheelchair, but will take a suit coat if necessary. It was on Celebrity. We have fixed dining on Sea Princess.

Also on reading the "Princess" board there is repeated mention of getting the coffee card "punched" for "specialty" coffees which I assume is coffee from an espresso machine eg cappucino. But they also say they can get unlimited free brewed tea or coffee & hotchocolate using the card but not getting it punched. Is this different to the instant tea & coffee available in horizon Court?

Hi..MDR on Formal nights, a jacket and tie is required to be worn by men.

Re Coffee Card, you can order a complimentary brewed coffee or tea from the International Cafe if you show the coffee card, no punch will be made in it.

Coffee from the International Cafe is fresh brewed, the coffee in the Horizon Court is from the machine and made from Coffee syrup, generally poor taste, to me anyway.

Hope this helps.

Required? I doubt that you would be refused admission to the MDR. From experience on Princess ex Australia formal nights are just island nights with a different dress code. Take the coat and add a splendid tie - have fun and dress up. This time, on P&O Harry will be wearing a suit coat and an absolutley splendid bow tie above the table and stretch black pants below the table - subject to negotiations which are ongoing.

Hi..MDR on Formal nights, a jacket and tie is required to be worn by men.

Re Coffee Card, you can order a complimentary brewed coffee or tea from the International Cafe if you show the coffee card, no punch will be made in it.

Coffee from the International Cafe is fresh brewed, the coffee in the Horizon Court is from the machine and made from Coffee syrup, generally poor taste, to me anyway.Hope this helps.

Thanks heaps Les. Interesting info about the Horizon Court coffee machine. Handy to know.

Required? I doubt that you would be refused admission to the MDR. From experience on Princess ex Australia formal nights are just island nights with a different dress code. Take the coat and add a splendid tie - have fun and dress up. This time, on P&O Harry will be wearing a suit coat and an absolutley splendid bow tie above the table and stretch black pants below the table - subject to negotiations which are ongoing.

Thanks Colleen. Allan is a high above-knee double amputee so only wears shorts when in the chair (he also has artificial legs). But he has some black dress shorts which look fine with a suit coat & tie.

Now I have a question.

Will Aus be Sea Princess' new home or is she just on loan for the summer?

Hi Anna, maybe a wait and see thing with Sea Princess, dependent upon bookings, whether she will stay as part of the Princess 'Aussie Fleet.' Might have the Trifecta..Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess !

Hi Anna, maybe a wait and see thing with Sea Princess, dependent upon bookings, whether she will stay as part of the Princess 'Aussie Fleet.' Might have the Trifecta..Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Sea Princess ![/quote

We have American friends doing an Alaskan cruise on her next June and other friends sailing San Francisco/Sydney on her September 2012.

I think they thought she might be staying here after that.

SEA PRINCESS for 2011/12 Aussie season arrives from SFO in October 2011 and departs back to SFO in April 2012.

For 2012/13 the published schedule has SEA arriving from SFO In October 2012, and has her committed in Aus well into May 2013 with no return cruise to SFO posted as yet .

This suggests with new ships entering Princess fleet that the third SUN class boat in SEA will be homed permanently in Aus from early 2013 .

Hi Anne and Allan,

Last year on the Diamond, Bob took a jacket but didn't wear it. He finds them uncomfortable for long periods, but was prepared to fit in. It was January, though. He intends doing the same this time:eek:, take but try not to wear (suss it out, I think).

Jen

Hi Aussie 57, be prepared for a difference between Aus P&O and Princess. The free coffee from the Horizon Court is not fantastic, but neither is great. In terms of MTD attire, Princess is much less strict in terms of its dress code, esp in Aust, it isn't likely to be super formal. If your husband isn't a fan/ not enough space for a suit, my Dad would bring a black shirt so even when it is warmer, he can still be comfortable!

Just a quick comment re: room service, the chocolate chip cookies are amazing! If you order them late at night, you might get them fresh which is simply fantastic! All room service is free except for obviously alcohol, and pizza has a small fee ($3 last time I went). Good luck! =]

I love to read all the comments about what others do and not do. I like the formal nights so that my husband can look the part with his suit. There is no chance of over doing it with a bow tie as he will not do that. He looks great in his suit and makes the night a little bit more special. I like to dress up, most girls do. My husband not so much but we go to the other dining options if he is not in the mood...:)

I am not big on dressing up and would rather not do formal nights. However 'She who has to be obeyed' has other ideas, so I have to follow like a dog on a lead. LOL. Reluctantly throw the 'bag of fruit' in the port.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from Canada! I was wondering if the mention of no auto tipping with Princess in Australia refers to the daily hotel charge , 15% added to beverage purchases or both.

Thank you for this clarification.

Cheers Louden

Hello from Canada! I was wondering if the mention of no auto tipping with Princess in Australia refers to the daily hotel charge , 15% added to beverage purchases or both.

Thank you for this clarification.

Cheers Louden

Hi Louden

This question has been asked a number of times, by myself and others.

Answer from those who have recently sailed on the SunP seems to be BOTH.

BTW, this policy only applies to the SunP,SeaP and Dawn P sailing out of Australian Ports. It does NOT apply to Diamond Princess

cheers

Hi Louden

This question has been asked a number of times, by myself and others.

Answer from those who have recently sailed on the SunP seems to be BOTH.

BTW, this policy only applies to the SunP,SeaP and Dawn P sailing out of Australian Ports. It does NOT apply to Diamond Princess

cheers

Thank you so much fro answering. We can hardly wait to get back to Brisbane and our wonderful Australian friends in Coolangatta.

Louden

Archived