Head Waiter....

CrimsonQueen

I'm sure this has been asked, but if so, I have missed the answer......

We had the best wait staff on the Liberty in April of this year, and we will be traveling again on the Liberty in March of next year. How/When do I request the same head waiter? Must I wait until I'm on the ship and speak to the Maitre d'? Or, may I do it before then? Thanks!

First how do you know he is still on the ship.

Only thing you might do is write to John and ask if he could help.

Otherwise ask the MD.

Last cruise we ran into a great waiter we had several cruises ago but his section was full.

We did visit him for breakfast several times.

First how do you know he is still on the ship.

Only thing you might do is write to John and ask if he could help.

Otherwise ask the MD.

Last cruise we ran into a great waiter we had several cruises ago but his section was full.

We did visit him for breakfast several times.

I'm not sure SHE :D is still on the ship, but if so, we'd like to have her. She gave me her name so that I could ask to be seated in her section. Thanks!

I'm not sure SHE :D is still on the ship, but if so, we'd like to have her. She gave me her name so that I could ask to be seated in her section. Thanks!

Chances are that she will not be on the ship. These folks have a six month contract and seldom return to the same ship. That privilege is reserved for senior folks.

All you can do is visit with the Maitre d' upon embark and ask if she's still on board...

:)

From my first Carnival cruise to my most recent, I have each time thought that the wait staff, (head waiter, and assit ) were the best, but I never thought of hoping for or requesting them back next time, just because they move around, work so many months, go home or on off time, then come back maybe on same ship, maybe not, but each cruise, I have had awesome wait staff, and while I thought first was the best, they have all been great, so maybe Im lucky but 5 Carnival cruises, each wait staff has been wonderful! So if the other suggestions above dont pan out, dont expect your next wait staff to disappoint either.:)

From my first Carnival cruise to my most recent, I have each time thought that the wait staff, (head waiter, and assit ) were the best, but I never thought of hoping for or requesting them back next time, just because they move around, work so many months, go home or on off time, then come back maybe on same ship, maybe not, but each cruise, I have had awesome wait staff, and while I thought first was the best, they have all been great, so maybe Im lucky but 5 Carnival cruises, each wait staff has been wonderful! So if the other suggestions above dont pan out, dont expect your next wait staff to disappoint either.:)

Wonderful suggestion...and, I'm sure it's true. Thanks!

Just curious, but I've noticed on Carnival that waiters are often referred to as Head Waiters. Every line I've been on a Head Waiter is the supervisor or section head (sometime also referred to as Assistant Maitre d'). Does Carnival not have a similar position or do all the wait staff report directly to the Maitre d'? I would think that would be a lot of staff reporting to one person without a level in between.

Our first cruise was on the Destiny and we had an exceptional Head Waiter. He stopped by every table every night and spoke for a few minutes.

On our second cruise on the Victory, I was walking through the Lido Deck and I looked up and he was coming toward me. I thought he looked familiar and stopped him and ask if he had been on the Destiny. He was still just as friendly two years later and ask me how I liked the ship and which one I liked better. I had to admit that the Destiny was better. He said that most people will always say that they enjoyed their first ship more because it was all so new to them.

We now have six cruises under our belts and he is the only Head Waiter that has ever stopped at our table.

More then likely she will not be on the same ship. after her contract she goes home for 3 months-- then goes on another ship.

Waiters/asst waiters are rotated on each ship also.

Just curious, but I've noticed on Carnival that waiters are often referred to as Head Waiters. Every line I've been on a Head Waiter is the supervisor or section head (sometime also referred to as Assistant Maitre d'). Does Carnival not have a similar position or do all the wait staff report directly to the Maitre d'? I would think that would be a lot of staff reporting to one person without a level in between.

I believe that the people on these boards referring to their waiters as their "head waiters" are simply trying to differentiate-- erroneously-- between the waiter and assistant waiter. On every cruise line I've been on, it's as you say above: waiters report to head waiters, who in turn report to the Maitre d'.

I'm pretty sure the OP means his *waiter*, and not his *head waiter*.

On the Imagination we had a waiter and an assistant waiter. On the cruise before that one on the Imagination we had a head waiter and an assistant waiter. The head waiter was also in charge of a section of the dining room. She kept them running.

On the wall leading into the main dining room on the Inspiration there were pictures of the Maitre d’, two senior assistant Maitre d’ and two assistant Maitre d’.

I believe that the people on these boards referring to their waiters as their "head waiters" are simply trying to differentiate-- erroneously-- between the waiter and assistant waiter. On every cruise line I've been on, it's as you say above: waiters report to head waiters, who in turn report to the Maitre d'.

I'm pretty sure the OP means his *waiter*, and not his *head waiter*.

Actually, she didn't :D There were 3 people who served our table. One brought drinks and one brought bread and the third was clearly in charge of these two, as well as other tables in our area. Her name was Sanja. We can call her the head waiter, or the lead waiter, or simply the one who was in charge of our table each night. Regardless of what we call her, she was wonderful.:)

Originally, it was a simple question, and I believe it has now been answered. Thanks for all of your imput. :)

From what we have observed...

Each table is served by a Waiter and an Assistant Waiter. A person from the bar staff will also come around to your table.

The waiters are watched over by a Head Waiter. (They sometimes stop at tables and visit with the guests. Notice I said "sometimes".)

The whole dining room is watched over by the Matre'd who also acts as the MC for the dining room entertainment.

We were on the July 17th Valor cruise out of Miami. Our main waiter (sat us down each evening, took our orders, served our food, and sometimes took care of drinks and bread as well) was Charles, and he was fantastic. His name plate stated that he was the "Headwaiter". He had an assistant who brought out most of the food from the kitchen and served some of the other tables. I was also somewhat confused with Charles' title, as on previous cruises we have always had a waiter (who took orders and served us), and assistant waiter (who took care of our drinks and bread), a "head waiter" who walked around the dining room making sure that everything was going smoothly and then of course the Maitre d' who is responsible for everything that went on in the dining room. This time was different.

I think part of the confusion is that Carnival has gone to the triple wait staff on many ships and changed up the names a little.

The "Team Head Waiter" (formerly head waiter) is the one who takes your order, serves and makes sure your dining experience is the best it can be.

The "Team Waiter" (formerly assistant waiter) is the one who opens your wine, gets the correct glassware/tableware, runs to the galley for the trays and sometimes serves bread etc.

The "Assistant Waiter" typically pours the water, tea, etc. and serves the bread as well as going to the galley for various things, clears the dishes etc.

ALL of those report to the Assistant Maitre'd and the Maitre'd. If you have a good team, it's hard to tell who's job is what because they all do whatever is needed at the time.

The "Head Waiter" that others are referring to on OTHER cruise lines is basically the equivalent to the Assistant Maitre'd.

2925859240029775315S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived