guaranteed stateroom changes

rmp1968uk

HI

We are a bit concerned that we have been given a stateroom 7014 on the constellation :eek:. It looks to be really covered by metal works, with a metal wall to one side and we don't know what we can do about it. I have emailed Celebrity, who have forwarded my query on to the correct department - does anyone know if it is difficult to change a guaranteed stateroom? Whilst I am sure it will be great to have a balcony, it looks like we will be sitting in a metallic cave :(. We would be really pleased to hear any responses....

You can always ask to go back into the "guarantee pool" but this does not always work in your favour. We did this when we were allocated a cabin so far forward we were right at the bow. Unfortunately when we asked for a change of cabin, while they agreed to it, we were given the same cabin again. We ended up paying more for a mid-ship cabin. That is the chance you take with guarantees. It seems logical that the least desirable cabins will be allocated to guarantees otherwise someone would have chosen to reserve that cabin.

HI

We are a bit concerned that we have been given a stateroom 7014 on the constellation :eek:. It looks to be really covered by metal works, with a metal wall to one side and we don't know what we can do about it. I have emailed Celebrity, who have forwarded my query on to the correct department - does anyone know if it is difficult to change a guaranteed stateroom? Whilst I am sure it will be great to have a balcony, it looks like we will be sitting in a metallic cave :(. We would be really pleased to hear any responses....

When are you cruising?. You can request a cabin that is in the same class and get an exchange.

We have never actually occupied the cabin "assigned" to us when booking a guarantee. We simply wait for the cabin to be assigned and then call Celebrity directly and switch to a more desirable cabin. Don't just go back into the pool, you'll likely get the same cabin again. Do some research on which cabins (2c in your case) are available and then call and ask to be switched.

HI

From time to time here I've read postings from people who where successful in requesting a switch to another open cabin of the same class as the one assigned. You might try that although I've also read a couple posts from people who were denied.

Unfortunately when you book a "guarantee" you must be prepared to accept the least desirable cabin in the class you booked or above. The only way to be positive that you can get a cabin of your choice is to book a confirmed cabin at a higher cost. If cabins remain available for your sailing you should be able to upgrade to a specific cabin by paying the difference between the cost of that confirmed cabin and what you've already paid in.

When we had this problem, we call Celebrity Resulations @ 1-800-280-3423. They were able to solve the problem. Give them a call.

Good luck

The OP like myself, is UK based and Celebrity will not discuss anything with them. They will be immediately referred back to Celebrity UK. I know because I have tried in the past. Also if a TA is involved then Celebrity UK will not deal with them directly, only via the TA.

I booked a guarantee and also booked direct with Celebrity UK. When I was assigned I wasn't particularly happy with the position, and because there were other (better positioned) cabins available within the same category I had been assigned, and because I had read you could do so on here, I phoned Celebrity UK and asked if it was possible to switch.

Well I have to say the response was very 'snooty' and I was told that once you have been assigned there was NO possibility of moving to another cabin, unless I picked one and paid the difference.

At the time, the Cat I had been assigned was approx £300pp more than I had paid and so I was told that to move I would have to pay the £600 difference.

I fail to understand the concept of booking a guarantee and being upset about one's assignment. Only book a guarantee if you would be happy with the WORST possible stateroom. Generally one receives a stateroom in a bad location when booking a guarantee. Guarantees are compromises; the customer receives a discounted price and a higher chance of an upgrade and the cruise line is able to allocate staterooms that are difficult to sell. If one is concerned about location or details about one's stateroom then do not book a guarantee! Sometimes Celebrity will grant a special favor and switch someone to another room in the same category where a guarantee had been assigned but this is just that, a special favor - there is no "rule" that one can switch rooms when booking a guarantee.

Well said Gonzo. One generally pays more to select a specific cabin. A "guarantee" only secures you a cabin in the guarantee category or higher. When you book a guarantee you give the right to select your cabin to Celebrity. If you want a specific cabin, or you don't want to take a risk, just pay more and control your cabin. You are rolling the dice. If you crap out, sorry but you rolled the dice.

Thanks guys - not realising the "worst possible cabin" side to this, I suppose we were foolish to "upgrade" to a guaranteed cabin. I certainly would NEVER do this again! Celebrity have emailed this morning as said they can not change the cabin. Fair enough, and at least they replied, we'll stick with it, but I am not sure about travelling with them again. We have done all our 3 cruises with them so far, and the guarantee cabin wasn't explained to me when I asked about it, so feeling a bit let down :o

Wel I surely wouldn't blame Celebrity. They did not force you to take a guaranteed booking. I have done it multiple times, but I always knew it was a bit of a gamble and would have accepted the worst cabin if that was my lot. At least I would have a balcony.

Having said that, did you ask to be moved to a specific cabin? That has always worked for me. If you give me the date of your sailing and your exact cabin category (2B or whatever) I can tell you what better cabins may be available. Then if you call you can ask specifically. Also I would speak directly to Resolutions.

Good luck!

The reason that these cabins are cheap is that they will be the ones that nobody else wants. This does not mean that they are not good value though.

Sometimes, when a cruise sells late, there will be many people on a guarantee and the more desirable cabins are allocated as well.

Thanks guys - not realising the "worst possible cabin" side to this, I suppose we were foolish to "upgrade" to a guaranteed cabin. I certainly would NEVER do this again! Celebrity have emailed this morning as said they can not change the cabin. Fair enough, and at least they replied, we'll stick with it, but I am not sure about travelling with them again. We have done all our 3 cruises with them so far, and the guarantee cabin wasn't explained to me when I asked about it, so feeling a bit let down :o

How was it explained to you when you asked?

we had booked an inside cabin a year in advance, and when I rang up to query that the prices had dropped so dramatically, they said I could upgrade to a g'tee cabin with balcony - and possibly a Con Class if they were available too!. No mention of it being a metal cave, obstructed view etc, and being a bit green, I just thought it would be ok and jumped at the chance. Ho Hum. We'll see what it's like - perhaps it won't be too bad, and least we'll be able to sit out if it pours with rain!!!!! I know it's foolish, never having done it before, but I just feel a bit "cheated" - even though we got an upgrade, as it's obviously such a poor one. I wouldn't do it again.

we had booked an inside cabin a year in advance, and when I rang up to query that the prices had dropped so dramatically, they said I could upgrade to a g'tee cabin with balcony - and possibly a Con Class if they were available too!. No mention of it being a metal cave, obstructed view etc, and being a bit green, I just thought it would be ok and jumped at the chance. Ho Hum. We'll see what it's like - perhaps it won't be too bad, and least we'll be able to sit out if it pours with rain!!!!! I know it's foolish, never having done it before, but I just feel a bit "cheated" - even though we got an upgrade, as it's obviously such a poor one. I wouldn't do it again.

Keep watching for price drops; if they drop again you may be able to upgrade to a specific balcony (i.e. not a guarantee category) for little to no money. It will be nice having a balcony, even if it is not the ideal stateroom - still much nicer than having an inside stateroom. I would not blame the cruise line on this, it does not appear that they provided you with any false or erroneous information based on what you said; just chalk it up to a learning experience. Hope you have a great cruise. :)

Simply go online and look at the available cabins in the cat that you booked, some of the online agencies (cruises only is one) will show this. Make note of the available cabins that you desire then call your travel agent and ask that he/she contact X and have you moved to this cabin. I have done this numerous times.

I should have added that there is NO guarantee that Celebrity will honor your request. I would think that much depends on if the ship is heavily sold. I have never personally had a problem with this request but am aware that I could be stuck with a less than desireable cabin.

Let me just make sure I understand this correctly. You booked and paid for an inside (with which you were presumably happy), you then got upgraded to a balcony and were unhappy with the fact that it was an obstructed view.

I'm lost for words.

• 2 weeks later...

We also booked a guarantee veranda stateroom (for the first time in our life), only because booked the cruise just 4 weeks before sailing. Now we have 2 weeks left and we haven't received any email from Celebrity about stateroom assignment. Should I worry or is it normal that room is not assigned untill the last day before sailing?

Hi, we are on the Equipnox 11/28/11 and had a guarantee with Celebrity (a 2C). I just went into Celebrity to check on something and noticed we had been assigned a cabin. This cabin is 6296 at the rear of the ship. I believe it says 'partially obstructed". I'm concerned we wont like this cabin. Can you tell me is we should think about changing it or upgrading? Also, I thought someone had mentioned this is in Concierge Class. YOur help is appreciated.

Archived