If a port is missed....

umpire30

Just heard from a friend whose cruise was scheduled to stop at Livorno a week or two ago, but because of rough seas, they put in at LaSpesia instead. I'll be on the same itinerary in the fall and wonder what happened with private tours scheduled for the original port. Anyone out there have that experience, either recently on the Star or any time in the past? Thanks for any input.

Just heard from a friend whose cruise was scheduled to stop at Livorno a week or two ago, but because of rough seas, they put in at LaSpesia instead. I'll be on the same itinerary in the fall and wonder what happened with private tours scheduled for the original port. Anyone out there have that experience, either recently on the Star or any time in the past? Thanks for any input.

If your private tour was booked with an ethical group, you should get a full refund of any deposits made. If you paid nothing in advance, you have no concerns.

It is up to the tour company. Hopefully you have a copy of their contract. It will state exactly what they do.

If you don't have the contract, call or email them for that answer. Get it in writing as far as how long it takes to get the refund.

Some companies actually say they will give you a "credit" for booking another of their tours or to be used on your next visit to their city. :rolleyes:

Don't book with any company that requires pre-payment or a deposit unless you're willing to forfeit it. The one's that deal with cruises know this is a possibility and have experience. Check their refund/return policy before booking.

I didn't follow my own advice last year when we were scheduled to be in Belfast. I booked a tour and pre-paid after the owner of the tour company assured me that docking in Belfast is never a problem and in her many years' experience, a cruise ship had never missed docking. From our roll call alone, I know they had several buses filled. A major storm kept us docked in Dublin for two days, missing Belfast. Other Belfast tour companies refunded most or all of the passengers' money; McCombs refused, quoting their non-refundable policy. The lesson was learned.

Hi There

So much will depend on where in the world you have tours booked,

in Italy and France most but not all will not charge if ship does not make it into port, however a few will still charge a full day even if you are late into port and only get 6 hours of an 8 hour tour.

The one port in the world that I am still to have a full day in is Dublin three times been there and still not got in on time

yours Shogun

You can kind of understand a non-refund policy, though. After all, the company has put buses/drivers/guides ready for your tour, which they still have to pay for and cannot use anywhere else now. It may not be your fault you've missed the port, but it's not theirs either.

That said, clearly if you can get a no-deposit tour with a reputable company it is certainly safer for you!

I try to always go with the no deposit private tour companies for my peace of mind. Hopefully they will refund any deposit or payment if not your insurance should cover it. We have missed ports a few times, it does happen.

So far the most I have put down on a non-refundable basis was $50 for a full day tour. The tour operator told me that if the ship misses the port the guide gets $50 and the rest of the day off if they cannot be used for another group, if they can I get my $50 back. That's fair to me.

Tours booked through Princess are refunded on your shipboard acct. Private arrangements you are on your own!

Princess will give a full refund for one of their tours, but with private tours you are on your own. That is the risk you take with private tours. Quite a few of them will not give full refunds if you cancel less than 24 hours before the tour.

Yesterday, I just decided to book a Princess tour on our upcoming cruise because even though it cost about $50 more than the same tour with a private company, the private company had a no refund policy if you cancelled less than 72 hours before the tour. I weighed my options and decided to go with Princess.

It is up to the tour company. Hopefully you have a copy of their contract. It will state exactly what they do.

If you don't have the contract, call or email them for that answer. Get it in writing as far as how long it takes to get the refund.

Some companies actually say they will give you a "credit" for booking another of their tours or to be used on your next visit to their city. :rolleyes:

If you're planning to book an indy excursion, you need to check on their cancellation policy as you can miss a port for various reasons (besides weather, there's mechanical problems and also if the ship needs to get diverted for a medical emergency and can't make that next port).

When we do excursions, we tend to book through the ship for convenience sake as well as the ensurance we can cancel w/o penalty and we won't be left behind if there's a problem on the tour. We're not going to worry about saving a little bit of money.

Princess will give a full refund for one of their tours, but with private tours you are on your own. That is the risk you take with private tours. Quite a few of them will not give full refunds if you cancel less than 24 hours before the tour.

Yesterday, I just decided to book a Princess tour on our upcoming cruise because even though it cost about $50 more than the same tour with a private company, the private company had a no refund policy if you cancelled less than 72 hours before the tour. I weighed my options and decided to go with Princess.

In the unlikely event that I lose a prepayment for a private tour, I am still up a bunch over the high priced Princess tours.

We usually take private tours and with every one of them we pay on the day of the tour. We were on a Prinsendam TA back in 2009 and we were docking in one of the ports of Sardinia but it was far too windy so the Captain took us to another port some distance away. I rang our Tour guide and told him of the new port and by the time we docked, he had driven the 50-100km to the new port.

In the case of not docking in Livorno but docking in La Spezia it is a matter of only 45 miles or 70 odd kms which is not a huge distance and I am sure your Tour guide would drive the distance if he really wanted your business. Personally, I would rather visit the Cinque Terre and the lovely villages than go to Livorno.

Jennie

We usually take private tours and with every one of them we pay on the day of the tour. We were on a Prinsendam TA back in 2009 and we were docking in one of the ports of Sardinia but it was far too windy so the Captain took us to another port some distance away. I rang our Tour guide and told him of the new port and by the time we docked, he had driven the 50-100km to the new port.

In the case of not docking in Livorno but docking in La Spezia it is a matter of only 45 miles or 70 odd kms which is not a huge distance and I am sure your Tour guide would drive the distance if he really wanted your business. Personally, I would rather visit the Cinque Terre and the lovely villages than go to Livorno.

Jennie

....for the responses. I think your comment about a tour guide driving the distance to La Spezia really answered my biggest concern. I have done several independent tours, all to be paid on "the day of," and have generally been real pleased with results. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Jim

Archived