Dining

Rainbowdayz

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just booked the Star out of Tampa on Oct. 30th. It's been a while since we cruised and a long time since we cruised on NCL. We prefer a table for two and I'm assuming going to the main dining room after boarding is still the best way to request one? Also, is there any problem w. bringing a bottle in our luggage? I've been sidelined for three years with back problems. I'm now recovering from surgery and looking very forward to traveling and cruising again. :)

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I just booked the Star out of Tampa on Oct. 30th. It's been a while since we cruised and a long time since we cruised on NCL. We prefer a table for two and I'm assuming going to the main dining room after boarding is still the best way to request one? Also, is there any problem w. bringing a bottle in our luggage? I've been sidelined for three years with back problems. I'm now recovering from surgery and looking very forward to traveling and cruising again. :)

This is freestyle, you can go the main dining room at any time and get a table for two-mostly with no or minimal wait.---They don't normally take reservations(except for big parties early)...

Booze in the luggage is a no no. All luggage is xrayed and the chances it will be found is pretty good.Then, when your luggage doesn't show in your room, you have to go to the naughty room. Id your luggage and have them take it out and hold the bottle until you go home...

In the main dinning rooms, you can request a table for 2 when you walk up to dine. It is possible to make a reservation in the main dinning rooms, but you will be limited to very early or very late. There are lots of 2-tops on NCL, so you should not have a problem if you just wait until it is time to dine.

NCL prohibits bringing on board any alcohol except wine. They charge a $15 fee per bottle of wine, collected at the security check point. If you put it in your checked baggage, there is a strong chance that their xray will catch it. If so, your bags will be held in the "naughty room" for you to claim in person. You will open the bag and they will search it. If any is found, it will be confiscated until your last night, when you can come and pick it up. It you have put it in another container or the container is open, they will just confiscate it and not return it.

Here is a link to the NCL dinning guide in case you are interested

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining_Flyer_062211.pdf

Hello Everyone,

NCL now has what's called "Freestyle" dining. No assigned seating, no assigned times. You go when you want, to whatever dining room you want, and just like in a land restaurant, you'll be seated at a table for two if that's how many there are in your party.

If by "bringing a bottle" you mean liquor, I don't believe you are allowed to do this. You are allowed to bring wine (not sure how much) on board, but you have to pay a corkage fee to drink it on the ship. Of course, the ship sells plenty of liquor and wine from their bars. You can buy bottle liquor in the duty free store, but this is held for you and not delivered to you until the last night of the cruise.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, and welcome to NCL.

NCL's entire fleet is freestyle dining for several years now, which means no assigned tables or times. Simply walk into the dining room at each meal and request a table for two, as you would at any restaurant. You can bring as many bottles as you wish, BUT there is a $15 corkage fee for each bottle opened. There is a discussion further down on this page, or you can use the search feature for more info. Basically, you hand over your bottles when you go through screening to get on the ship, and they will apply a sticker to the bottle. If you don't report your bottles, they will be confiscated and sent to the "naughty room". You can only pick up naughty room booze on the last day.

Hello Everyone,

NCL's entire fleet is freestyle dining for several years now, which means no assigned tables or times. Simply walk into the dining room at each meal and request a table for two, as you would at any restaurant. You can bring as many bottles as you wish, BUT there is a $15 corkage fee for each bottle opened. There is a discussion further down on this page, or you can use the search feature for more info. Basically, you hand over your bottles when you go through screening to get on the ship, and they will apply a sticker to the bottle. If you don't report your bottles, they will be confiscated and sent to the "naughty room". You can only pick up naughty room booze on the last day.

Wine only is allowed with a corkage fee, no hard liquor.

Thanks for all the responses. So Freestyle works like My Time Dining on RCCL. Go when you want and request the table you want? Great!

I drink Skinnygirl Margarita's to cut down on calories. I wanted to bring a bottle on board because I doubt they serve it. Does anyone know? Is there a way I can bring it onboard without paying a fee?

You can go to the dining room anytime you want, correct (During open hours.). You can request a table for 2, correct. You can request a certain table but it may not be available and if you really want that table, you'd have to wait.

We love NCL, we love freestyle and we LOVE the Star!:D

Archived