Understanding what the Butler can do

nevadashaun

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't sense that'll happen on the Wind.
Your sense is absolutely correct. Since your fare includes all gratuities, you will feel no pressure at all for additional tips. I think this makes the service you receive more genuine.

We much prefer the old staffing of two cabin attendants, partly because we think the butler concept is pretentious and also because we feel the cleaners have to work so much harder and lonelier than before. That said, we've had some very eager to please butlers, so it is not about the staff, it's about the overall concept.

On our Silversea cruise last July on the Silver Cloud (as we had the fun of sailing with duct tape and other great people), we did not know what to expect from the Butler concept. Hype or real? Was the Butler idea as more of just a marketing gimmick?

Both for us and the other couple/friends traveling with us, we were pleasantly surprised and well pleased with the "reality". Initially, it was a she or Butleress. She was great and our friends there love her and how she operated and helped. Our Butler (after we were moved with a room technical problem) was Parai Dubhaski from India. He was also super, very knowledgeable and helpful. He had worked previously with Silversea as a waiter in the dining room before doing his training for this position. His English was excellent and his communications skills were very good. Their service, spirit and style was super excellent!!! My wife liked coffee around 4 pm and it was there in the room every day after she made one passing mention early in the cruise.

For services or needs, you could just dial the phone to page our Butler and then he or she would call right back. The Hotel Director told us the "secret" or idea with the Butler service is to have a "central point of contact" to coordinate and supervise things in order to improve satisfying customer needs and interests. Our Butler had 15 rooms under his responsibility. My verdict is that it was really a “value added”. With the Butler and most all of the staff, there was a great attitude. It was not just a fake smile and only a “HI!”. They work hard being helpful and knowledgeable. Impressive!!! We didn't have the Butler unpack or pack our suitcases. Nor, did we abuse the service by asking for too much or minor things.

BIGGEST BUTLER SUCCESS: We wanted to have a “pizza party” in our suite to watch the World Cup battle between Spain and Holland. How did it happen and work? Super great!!! And the game was good, too, going into overtime to get a winner. Our Butler was spectacular in arranging all of the details. Our Columbus friends-neighbors, Janet and Denny, were there, along with new friends Sharon and Issy from the Washington, DC, area. Six people worked well for a party in our suite. We started at 8 pm with egg rolls, shrimp, crab claws, chips, etc., as a warm-up, plus a tub of chilled Champagne, wine, beer, etc. Then around 9 pm, after the game started a half hour earlier, the five different pizza selections arrived along with hot dogs, cookies, etc. We could have had more food, but we were stuffed and very happy. Not only was the game good, but out our large balcony door and window, we could watch the spectacular mountains along the coast go by as we sailed south along the Norway coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 27,209 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 48,106 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Here is our Butler, Parai (second from left), and four of his associates on the back of the Silver Cloud as we were sailing out from the spectacular fjords of Norway on July 3, 2010.:

CloudButlerFjords.jpg

For the World Cup Championship Game, Spain versus Holland, this was our “PARTY” set-up in our Silver Cloud room. It worked well for size with six in that space. We ordered off of the regular room service menu and our Butler took care of the details. In place of dining in the main DR, we had our dinning in the suite. Eight people would have been too tight for such a party in a regular suite.:

WorldCupPartySilverCloud.jpg

On our Silversea cruise last July on the Silver Cloud (as we had the fun of sailing with duct tape and other great people), we did not know what to expect from the Butler concept. Hype or real? Was the Butler idea as more of just a marketing gimmick?

Both for us and the other couple/friends traveling with us, we were pleasantly surprised and well pleased with the "reality". Initially, it was a she or Butleress. She was great and our friends there love her and how she operated and helped. Our Butler (after we were moved with a room technical problem) was Parai Dubhaski from India. He was also super, very knowledgeable and helpful. He had worked previously with Silversea as a waiter in the dining room before doing his training for this position. His English was excellent and his communications skills were very good. Their service, spirit and style was super excellent!!! My wife liked coffee around 4 pm and it was there in the room every day after she made one passing mention early in the cruise.

For services or needs, you could just dial the phone to page our Butler and then he or she would call right back. The Hotel Director told us the "secret" or idea with the Butler service is to have a "central point of contact" to coordinate and supervise things in order to improve satisfying customer needs and interests. Our Butler had 15 rooms under his responsibility. My verdict is that it was really a “value added”. With the Butler and most all of the staff, there was a great attitude. It was not just a fake smile and only a “HI!”. They work hard being helpful and knowledgeable. Impressive!!! We didn't have the Butler unpack or pack our suitcases. Nor, did we abuse the service by asking for too much or minor things.

BIGGEST BUTLER SUCCESS: We wanted to have a “pizza party” in our suite to watch the World Cup battle between Spain and Holland. How did it happen and work? Super great!!! And the game was good, too, going into overtime to get a winner. Our Butler was spectacular in arranging all of the details. Our Columbus friends-neighbors, Janet and Denny, were there, along with new friends Sharon and Issy from the Washington, DC, area. Six people worked well for a party in our suite. We started at 8 pm with egg rolls, shrimp, crab claws, chips, etc., as a warm-up, plus a tub of chilled Champagne, wine, beer, etc. Then around 9 pm, after the game started a half hour earlier, the five different pizza selections arrived along with hot dogs, cookies, etc. We could have had more food, but we were stuffed and very happy. Not only was the game good, but out our large balcony door and window, we could watch the spectacular mountains along the coast go by as we sailed south along the Norway coast.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

GREAT pictures Terry, thankyou so much for sharing:)

We have just returned from Queen Elizabeth and had a butler in our Queens Grill suite.

We told her we liked fresh orange juice and plenty of bottled water and thereafter a jug of fresh juice stood on our bar; whenever it got low it was replenished. Once she realised how much water we got through, she left several large bottles each morning. She kept the ice bucket filled so we could keep the wine cool - and never let our wine choices run out.

Although there was plenty of fruit in the suite, the choice was a bit dull and after my wife commented on this we found an abundance of juicy nectarines, grapes, etc, each day.

When we had breakfast in the cabin (three times) she served us exactly on time and very carefully.

So, from our perspective our butler genuinely added value in precisely the way that suited us.

Maybe what we asked wasn't too demanding, but we were happy.

Her performance was just one of several reasons why we would certainly cruise again with Cunard (in QG), much to our surprise.

We had our first taste of the butler service on the Cloud in May and we weren't impressed.

When we first arrived the butler came and said hello and after that he kept pestering us to see if there was anything he could do. It was starting to get to the stage of wanting to say 'what part of 'we're ok' do you not understand'....

He even wrote us a note asking if we were ok as he hadn't seen us for a few days. We were hiding from him!!!!

I don't know if it's because we're from the UK, but we found him going through our drawers looking for shoes to shine - without our permission - very intrusive.

My husband was furious that his prescription sunglasses had been cleaned without his consent. The slightest distortion to his frames can cause him violent headaches and nausea so he has to be very careful with them. He won't even let me clean them.... He took to taking them with him at all times and hiding his spare pair of spectacles.

THEN on the last night when we did ask for help to pack - my husband was ill and I'm part in a wheelchair/part crutches so needed couldn't manage on my own - we were ignored.

Wizzy

WOW! Hope you were this specific on your ship comment cards. The fellow you described either needs a whole lot of training or he should be replaced. While I am far from crazy about the butler system, most of the butlers with whom we have sailed have been fine...not one of them were even close to being as terrible as your description. I hope this experience hasn't spoiled your interest in sailing with SS again. I honestly feel this was an aberration.

We have just returned from Queen Elizabeth and had a butler in our Queens Grill suite.

We told her we liked fresh orange juice and plenty of bottled water and thereafter a jug of fresh juice stood on our bar; whenever it got low it was replenished. Once she realised how much water we got through, she left several large bottles each morning. She kept the ice bucket filled so we could keep the wine cool - and never let our wine choices run out.

Although there was plenty of fruit in the suite, the choice was a bit dull and after my wife commented on this we found an abundance of juicy nectarines, grapes, etc, each day.

When we had breakfast in the cabin (three times) she served us exactly on time and very carefully.

So, from our perspective our butler genuinely added value in precisely the way that suited us.

Maybe what we asked wasn't too demanding, but we were happy.

Her performance was just one of several reasons why we would certainly cruise again with Cunard (in QG), much to our surprise.

Sorry can't see any relevance to Silversea!

WOW! Hope you were this specific on your ship comment cards. The fellow you described either needs a whole lot of training or he should be replaced. While I am far from crazy about the butler system, most of the butlers with whom we have sailed have been fine...not one of them were even close to being as terrible as your description. I hope this experience hasn't spoiled your interest in sailing with SS again. I honestly feel this was an aberration.

Hello CruisinPashmina,

There wasn't enough room on the comment card to put everything down so told them that our concerns would be sent in a separate letter. It's on our to-do shortly list as we haven't had time.

We've been sailing with SS since 2003 and out of all the staff that we've met he was the worst. Even his side kick was no better....

Don't worry it hasn't put us off sailing with SS. Our next cruise was booked when we were away. All we'll do in future is advise the butler and his side-kick on arrival that if we want anything doing, we'll let you know and then to leave us alone.

Wizzy

GREAT pictures Terry, thankyou so much for sharing:)

THANKS, Brad & Tez, for the nice comments on the pictures from wise minds "down under"! Have Australia and New Zealand next on our "wish list". Looking forward to seeing your beautiful part of the world.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 28,853 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 5 weeks later...

I do hope that someone at Silversea is reading this so that efforts can be made to clarify this whole butler thing. These informative posts have added anxiety as we most certainly do not want anyone rifling through our belongings looking for things to clean or shine. The degree of attention people want is widely variable, so steps should be built in to figure out at the beginning of a cruise what passengers do and don't want.

The butler concept has become rather trendy and the range we have seen at various hotels has been enormous, from a butler we literally never saw to one who hovered so much that we had to ask management to reassign him. It is clear that people are confused and, while we are about to take our first Silversea cruise, we have always gotten superb, pitch perfect service on Seabourn by someone not called a butler.

You will find that the butlers aboard SS ships are professional and will not invade your privacy. When you first get to your suite your butler will come in and explain the bath products, etc. to you; will ask what kind of booze you want and if there is anything that he or she can do for you. They will not unpack your things or disturb anything unless you ask them to. Many of the butlers on SS have vast experience ashore as butlers. They are not amateurs. For example, our butler on the last 2 cruises was a college graduate, had 2 years at the Oberoi in Shri Lanka, had 3 years at the Burg el Arab in Dubai and was extremely professional. I was skeptical at first when they instituted the program in 2009, but no longer. Enjoy!

I do hope that someone at Silversea is reading this so that efforts can be made to clarify this whole butler thing. These informative posts have added anxiety as we most certainly do not want anyone rifling through our belongings looking for things to clean or shine. The degree of attention people want is widely variable, so steps should be built in to figure out at the beginning of a cruise what passengers do and don't want.

It's a shame that a post has added anxiety to your voyage. I'm not sure that the "whole butler thing" needs clarification. They are there to perform the service that you wish at the level that you wish. I think the butlers are highly professional, well-trained and extraordinarily respectful of privacy. They do not touch or disturb things unless you ask them to. I personally wouldn't worry about any of this stuff ; it sounds like the experience one of the posters had was an outlier, even to the poster (who has cruised frequently).

You will find that the butlers aboard SS ships are professional and will not invade your privacy. When you first get to your suite your butler will come in and explain the bath products, etc. to you; will ask what kind of booze you want and if there is anything that he or she can do for you. They will not unpack your things or disturb anything unless you ask them to. Many of the butlers on SS have vast experience ashore as butlers. They are not amateurs. For example, our butler on the last 2 cruises was a college graduate, had 2 years at the Oberoi in Shri Lanka, had 3 years at the Burg el Arab in Dubai and was extremely professional. I was skeptical at first when they instituted the program in 2009, but no longer. Enjoy!

Doug, well-said and accurate.

That's a great question, Nevada. I too, only have 1 SS cruise under my belt and we were at a loss as to what to do with Arvin.

He always asked, "is there anything I can do" , "what do you need" and I realize now that by always saying, "no, we're fine, thank you" that we were in fact making HIS job more difficult because he couldn't antisipate our needs since we never asked for anything.

Right off the bat, we told him we would be low maintenance and did like our privacy, so don't worry about us. I had to laugh on the last night of cruising because he dragged out our suitcases from under the bed and wrote a note "I took the liberty of washing your luggage since they had a few scufs on it". LOL...now, THAT is service!

He did take care of our laundry, served us breakfast in our suite a few times, and helped with some internet issues. Would love to hear everyone else's answer.

While on the Cloud, my Butler Go Go Danced for me! ;)

Here's how your Butler experience would have gone on SilverSea I imagine.

Us: "We'd like to arrange having coffee, juice, and croissants delivered to our cabin at 7 AM every morning."

Butler: "Yes sir Mr. Randy. I will arrange that with room service right away. May I ask, would you prefer regular or decaf coffee? Also, what is your juice preference? And, finally, would you enjoy jam, jelly, or marmalade with your croissants?"

Us: "We also have some dry cleaning we'd like done. How do we arrange that?"

Butler: "I can take care of that for you right now if you would like. Are there any items that you would like to wear this evening?"

Us: "Can we arrange for fresh ice every afternoon?"

Butler: "It would be my pleasure to take care of that for you. Is there a particular time you would like your ice refreshed?"

Have a great time on your cruise!

I really must learn more about SilverSea cruising! I have never seriously looked into SilverSea because I thought it would be too expensive, however, as we become more experienced with cruising, we are finding that having good space and good service in the cabin makes all the difference for us and we are now willing to pay more. I will be reading many SilverSea threads to learn more. Are all the cabins "suites"?

though they are called suites they are technically one large space with a curtain dividing the sleeping and living areas. On the Cloud and Wind the suites are 240 sq. ft of interior space. On the Whisper and Shadow they are 287 sq. ft. On the Spirit lightly larger. To get a true separation you have to move up to a Silver suite at least. That said, they are all comfortable and come with the same great service.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked our Butler if we could have chocolate covered strawberries one day after our excursion. We got them two days in a row. She was also helpful in getting people to fix our shower door (it wouldn't close properly). Also, we had a concert in Ephesus during the evening and the dryer hadn't finished its cycle yet. She was able to get our laundry and even folded it for us.

Archived