Tracy Arm excursion with HAL

luv2vacation

I am considering booking this tour but had some questions. Does anyone know how long the ride is from Tracy Arm to Juneau? Is there anything to see or is it a boring ride? Is the catamaran comfortable?

I was planning on using this time on the ship to have lunch and prepare for my arrival into Juneau. That way we could get off the ship ASAP and head to Mendenhall. Now I am afraid I will miss a lot of beautiful scenery if I don't do this tour. We will have to have lunch once we get back to the ship and that will cause us to shorten our time in Juneau.

I am also considering skipping Mendenhall if I take this tour. I don't won't to feel rushed in Juneau. I would like to see the town and maybe ride the tram up Mt. Roberts. Will I be cheating myself if I don't see Mendenhall? It seems the Sawyer glaciers are more spectacular and Mendenhall wouldn't be needed after seeing them. Sorry for all the questions but I really need to make a decision. Thanks for the help!

I was fortunate enough to spend an entire day in Tracy Arm last Sept, onboard the Ryndam. I would do anything to see Tracy Arm again :) We did not actually get to the glaciers, there was too much ice in the water, making it too dangerous for the ship to get close. The catamaran used in the excursion is usually able to get closer. When I get my next chance to go to Alaska, I will definitely sign up for the Tracy Arm excursion if it is offered (unless the ship actually gets to spend the day cruising the fjord, which is seldom offered).

I travel on a strict budget, and do NOT care what the excursion will cost. That's how beautiful the area is.

You must realize though, there is no guarantee that the catamaran will be able to get close enough for good glacier viewing -- ice and water conditions can vary hour to hour AFAIK.

On the Zuiderdam two weeks ago, we were fortunate to spend the morning cruising Tracy Arm. It was a real highlight of the cruise. They open the bow for passengers to go outside - I recommend this, you have an excellent view all around you, mostly unobstructed. We saw what I thought was the excursion boat stop to pick up passengers, and they continued deeper into the fjord than we could go.

I am considering booking this tour but had some questions. Does anyone know how long the ride is from Tracy Arm to Juneau? Is there anything to see or is it a boring ride? Is the catamaran comfortable?

I was planning on using this time on the ship to have lunch and prepare for my arrival into Juneau. That way we could get off the ship ASAP and head to Mendenhall. Now I am afraid I will miss a lot of beautiful scenery if I don't do this tour. We will have to have lunch once we get back to the ship and that will cause us to shorten our time in Juneau.

I am also considering skipping Mendenhall if I take this tour. I don't won't to feel rushed in Juneau. I would like to see the town and maybe ride the tram up Mt. Roberts. Will I be cheating myself if I don't see Mendenhall? It seems the Sawyer glaciers are more spectacular and Mendenhall wouldn't be needed after seeing them. Sorry for all the questions but I really need to make a decision. Thanks for the help!

First of all, which ship will you be on? That will make a difference regarding departure time in Juneau.

If you're on the Zuiderdam, you will be picked up from the ship as you enter Tracy Arm and be returned to either the dock or the ship in Juneau, depending on whether tendering is required that day. Either way, if you are on the Zuiderdam, you'll have plenty of time to enjoy Mt. Roberts or Mendenhall as you're departure from Juneau will probably be 10:00.

If you're on another ship, the schedule could be completely different. So, please tell us what ship you're on and when you're going.

I took the add on tour from Princess, we got on around 7:30 am. The views and stuff in the Fjord are great, get up close to the walls, sea level view of ice, saw two bears, numerous seals in the fjord. The ship sailed right up to the waterfalls and almost close enough for us to touch the wall. We got closer to the glacier about a mile and half closer than the cruise ship but still pretty far as the ice flows were heavy that day.

Once we left the fjord it was a long, boring ride. Some would say scenic, but that scenic got old really quick. One nice thing is we saw three whales that delayed our arrival into Juneau by about 30'

The thing you give up is a nice ship meal of course as you dock and it was nearly 1:30pm or so.

Once in Juneau we caught a whale watching / Mendenhall combo that took my day to 7pm. So it was a long day... but did end up having a nice dinner on the ship. So you can have your cake and eat it to, just be sure to bring snacks, sandwich or something as you'll have little time from morning till evening for food. It did make the end of day sit down meal extra tasty :D

1718032794_316AscloseaswecantoSawyerGlacier.jpg.762001c7891634ce290c1f525db71ac8.jpg

128703580_370SheerWallofTracyArm.jpg.338e5bd8b280f3f9d490d6a93cf9aa2e.jpg

1089543763_380WaterfallinTracyArm.jpg.8df8c1255e498bba5c349f184f963e4c.jpg

2006271493_390BearoneinTracyArm.jpg.2121f551ae263fbf8a4695b7d82a278b.jpg

1700923912_420BeartwoinTracyArm.jpg.22281db94c34a76026c1c85214062d79.jpg

It is a big difference to go to Tracy Arm via tour boat vs cruise ship. It isn't about "danger" that the cruiseships don't get up to the glacier, it's all about TIME. They allow so much time, at the half way, they turn back. Being on the water offers far more opportunity for scenic sailing and wildlife. I find it a "necessary" tour for my priority, and have taken this several times, with NCL. A few years ago I put together a photo sample, since it is not easily explained all the positives of the add on tour. In this particular trip, the photo of the cruiseship, shows the closest it got to the glacier, with that being the first glacier view that season, third week of July. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

As for your Juneau questions- It may not be about seeing one glacier and being done. :) If of interest, it can be very rewarding to see many glaciers. As for seeing the "town", Juneau does have some historic areas of interest, but a walking tour map is necessary to find them, usually. You should have no problem with lunch, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt Roberts tram, in your port time.

It is a big difference to go to Tracy Arm via tour boat vs cruise ship. It isn't about "danger" that the cruiseships don't get up to the glacier, it's all about TIME. They allow so much time, at the half way, they turn back. Being on the water offers far more opportunity for scenic sailing and wildlife. I find it a "necessary" tour for my priority, and have taken this several times, with NCL. A few years ago I put together a photo sample, since it is not easily explained all the positives of the add on tour. In this particular trip, the photo of the cruiseship, shows the closest it got to the glacier, with that being the first glacier view that season, third week of July. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

As for your Juneau questions- It may not be about seeing one glacier and being done. :) If of interest, it can be very rewarding to see many glaciers. As for seeing the "town", Juneau does have some historic areas of interest, but a walking tour map is necessary to find them, usually. You should have no problem with lunch, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt Roberts tram, in your port time.

Loved your pictures, esp. the three penquins marching on the horizon, and the eagle on the glacier ice. Wonderful, unusual shots !!!!

Question: I know you have cruised out of Seattle. What is your mode of transportation for sightseeing in the downtown/harbour area. This has been my most difficult question of all the cruises I have taken. gg

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the advice. Also, thanks for all the pictures. They were very helpful. These boards are a wealth of information!

I am sailing on the Volendam but I think it offers the same schedule as the Zuiderdam.

One more question concerning the catamaran. What kind of snacks do they have - any hot dogs or hamburgers? Do they sell beer? I know my husband wouldn't be quite as bored on the ride to Juneau if he had something to eat and drink during the ride.

Loved your pictures, esp. the three penquins marching on the horizon, and the eagle on the glacier ice. Wonderful, unusual shots !!!!

Question: I know you have cruised out of Seattle. What is your mode of transportation for sightseeing in the downtown/harbour area. This has been my most difficult question of all the cruises I have taken. gg

Thank you for the compliment. :) For clairfication, the king penguins which was a priority for me to see, were seen at Volunteer Point Faulkland Islands. Anyone doing a South America trip, I would highly recommend this. BUT, it is a difficult tour to count on, frequently canceled. The operator I had booked with canceled because the week before, he almost missed the ship departure. I ended up, getting on the first tenders and arranged with someone on the dock to take me. :) I did, confirm with the orginal tour operator, who I spoke with doing another tour, that this vendor was legit. :)

Allen Marine does give comp salmon/crackers and did have a limited purchase menu. I suggest you email them directly and inquire what they offer.

Are you referring to downtown Seattle?? I take the light rail in, since I don't stay downtown, and walk. :)

Archived