Help leaving Sunday is compy worth it?

I know I've read about computer use rates, but could you tell me about rates and connect times. I know we just read many reviews "live from the Westerdam" great review by the way. We are sailing on the Westy on Sunday with our 14 year-old who is already missing her instant messaging buddies. Last year on the Grand Princess we had free unlimited internet in a suite but the DH said the connect times were very slowwwwwwww Thanks

On Ryndam computer connections were OK when they were working. Don't count on using it for anything other than quick email. If you have your own laptop it is better as you can compose on your own time and then cut and paste. Time on line adds up quickly so tell your teen to plan on using email only and keep it to short messages!

I know I've read about computer use rates, but could you tell me about rates and connect times. I know we just read many reviews "live from the Westerdam" great review by the way. We are sailing on the Westy on Sunday with our 14 year-old who is already missing her instant messaging buddies. Last year on the Grand Princess we had free unlimited internet in a suite but the DH said the connect times were very slowwwwwwww Thanks

crusing plantlady, I am the one who wrote the "Live from the MS Westerdam Thread" I bought the package that had the most minutes. It was 250 minutes for $100.00 plus a $3.95 connect fee. If you bought the package on embarkation day you got an additional 20 minutes for that package and an additional 10 minutes for the next package. I used my own laptop with WiFi and also used it in our cabin. My computer said it was low frequenzy but it did work quite well, as well as was quite fast. I would write all my comments off line then copy and paste to the CC board. There were several times when we had no internet connection, mostly when we were in port. I understand if you use their computers the connection seems slow. I was quite impressed with using my lap top and did not find it slow at all. As far as being on line to do Instant Messaging that time will be used up quickly. I did do some Instant Messaging with a few people even a CC member but it was brief. I spaced out my time I planed to use each day and it worked out well. One thing you need to make sure of is that your Pop Up Blocker is off so that your timer can show. I made the mistake of going on line the first day, then thought I signed off to go into Word to write a short review only to find out that I was not totally signed off and it used up some of my minutes.

I had the same experience as LAFFNVEGAS on the Westerdam in January. I brought my laptop and bought the same package. I found that the WiFi worked on our veranda and I did 50% of my "online" time there and the rest in the Erasmus. I thought the connection speed was resonably fast and we were able to keep in touch with the kids via e-mail and that made DW feel alot better about being "out of touch".

Archived