Thinking of taking son's gf on cruise

hayesktrm

I have heard some horror stories about this...they break up right before or other things.

We are just starting to think about this and are wondering how this would work with early saver. We wouldn't be going until next year (they may not even be dating then) so we would like to book early saver. If they break up before final payment can I get a credit for a future cruise (or use it to help pay off this cruise) since we would be paying for her? Or would you suggest booking the three of us (if she didn't go, ds probably would stay home) and then if all is going well, add them a few months beforehand and hope that we can get an adjoining cabin for them to share with our DD? I don't mind having a credit for a future cruise, but since we are paying for her we don't want her to have a credit that she will never use.

She has never been on a cruise and would be so excited if she could join us (if her parents would approve--she will be 20).

Thanks! I am sitting here at the hospital computers waiting for my DH to get out of surgery. This helps to pass the time :).

it seems you have some doubts about the relationship. it might be a bit early too book if you have the feeling they might not be together next yr. i am not an expert on what happens with the cancellation of persons with early saver. but too pass the time im sure the carnival site has that information on their faq section. i hope the best for your husbands surgery. and that you have a wonderful cruise for you if you go. my prayers are with you.

First off I hope DH's surgery is nothing serious , and that he has a full speedy recovery.

I have never done early saver , but I know they have different rules and regs so you may want to check that out.

If it wasn't early saver and your DS is anything like mine. You can just wait until final payment and add the name of the girl he will be seeing then for $50. :)

Early saver has no name changes.

We booked two people as ES and a 3rd pax in the cabin as past guest so if the 3rd pax cancelled, their deposit was refundable. combined two rates on the same booking. (no extra money as the ES 3rd pax rate and the past guest 3rd pax rate were both $129 plus taxes and fees)

If you book her as ES and she is the 2nd pax in the cabin, and she cancels, the other pax would pay 200% if only 2 in the cabin. You cannot replace her.

ES is a bad rate to book if you think she might cancel. If you pay for her deposit, there is a form you can do to get the deposit back, minus the $50 pp fee) .. but it can only be used toward a future cruise, not this one.

Make sure there are more than 2 in the cabin if you choose to book ES anyway... so someone doesnt get stuck with the 200%.

btw Im sure you know this .. but if you take a minor who you are not their parent or their guardian, they have to be booked with someone 25 years or older.

Only your own children can be booked across the hall or by themselves if they are older .. and so on.

I was skeptical at first adding a name to my trip...I was told to book the cruise with just my name initially as if it was a two person stateroom. then by final payment I added the name of my travel companion. worked out great.

Hope hubby is doing well.

Early Saver is not the way to go always. Yes, the savings are enticing, but you may end up losing more money at the end. We NEVER book Early Saver, and so far, it seems like its been the wisest decision for us. There are SO many things besides a breakup that can change travel plans at the blink of an eye!

If you decide to go with Early Saver, book everyone else EXCEPT for the girlfriend. Wait much closer to departure and if it seems like they'll still be together, then add her. You can always add people as long as there are cabins available that will accommodate the extra guest. You will be charged the current rate at the time of booking for that guest, and you may need to give up the cabin you currently have. But I think its a small price to pay to have the peace of mind that your money won't be going down the drain if they break up.

add her later if she is still around- that way you lose nothing.

Personally- I never took the kids friends on trips- (i figured I would be giving them up when they get wives etc later in life--it didnt work out that way anyways--LOL they go on vacations with me still..

I would wait on booking your DS and DS Girlfriend until later. At that age, you never know what might happen between them. The dollars you save is not worth the risk of losing it all. Might make a nice Christmas present for them both

We booked ES with not only my daughters boyfriend (17) but also with my nephews girlfriend (16) a couple of months ago and leaving Monday on the Carnival Destiny.

At the time of booking, I told them all they better not breakup BUT... if they did, I didn't care if they don't talk to each on the cruise but the boyfriends better be friends with the girls and make sure they are never alone and need to be walked to their cabin at the end of the night...!!!

So, at 16 & 17 I don't know if its real love, just still working out, or they were afraid of my threat :) but we're leaving Monday and both couples are still together...

Great ideas everyone! A lot made me laugh. I think the best bet is to book ours and add them later if they are still together. He still lives at home and was a little sad that we left him on vacation a few weeks ago. His gf's parents didn't like her to be alone in the house with him so it wasn't fun. They will be 19 and 20, so still young love so we will see, although they are quite in love right now.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. He is out of surgery and in recovery. Will stay the night and hopefully will come home tomorrow. It was neck surgery, but they were worried because he has new stents from a heart attack last year. We are way too young to be dealing with all these surgeries! Next year we will both be healthy and take a great cruise!

much easier to add later.

I always add the 2nd person about a month before the cruise, because of his job. Since I have to pay the 200% anyway, I am not out anything if he is able to go. The only thing is that they will charge you the price of the cruise at the day you book it, so if you originally book on a good sale date, you could end up paying more when you add the person. There has been times when all we were left to pay was his taxes & fees and Port charges. I say add her later.

We just did it. My sons gf is now going with us in April 2012. I told them they better stay together until after cruise. She is paying for her portion, so worse case scenerio he would have to move into our room.:( They have been together for 3+ years so I think its safe, and I did book ES.

I did it - my son and his GF had been together for 10 months when I booked and swore they wouldn't even dream of breaking up. Ha! They broke up 4 months from the cruise and it screwed everything up! Don't do it until much closer to the cruise. We had to get different cabins for our kids because of the room capacity issues, etc. and the sailing was nearly sold out so that was no easy task. Total nightmare...

Last year I booked my DS's and their GF's. I paid a little extra for one GF because she didn't know if her college would excuse her. By paying extra I could switch her out close to cruising date. Well, they broke up! I switched her out and then they got back together!! This year I did the same. I booked all of us in two cabins and made the GF's the 3rd and 4th guest and paid around $10 extra I think it was just in case I have to switch them out......again. Talk to your PVP, they will know what to do for you.

Archived