Huskies in Whitehourse?

fieldagent

Has anyone seen the Huskies in Whitehourse? We are doing HAL tour # 28 in a couple of days. We want to see Husky's and have to choose between Whitehourse and Denali. There are more things that we would like to do in Denali so if Whitehourse is a good tour we will take it.

I posted this under Alaska and realized that since it is a HAL tour many HAL travlers might not be looking there.

Has anyone seen the Huskies in Whitehourse? We are doing HAL tour # 28 in a couple of days. We want to see Husky's and have to choose between Whitehourse and Denali. There are more things that we would like to do in Denali so if Whitehourse is a good tour we will take it.

I posted this under Alaska and realized that since it is a HAL tour many HAL travlers might not be looking there.

So, what are you asking?:confused:

Just a little suggestion if you're going to visit with sled dogs in Alaska---

Bring along a plastic bag of dog biscuits. You will be the most popular visitor in the dog pens! I always ask permission, which is always granted, and I give the dogs treats. It's so much fun, and you get to pet all of them if you want, 'cuz they come to you!

How was the visit to the Husky's in Whitehorse? Was it worth it or should I do the one in Denali.

Fieldagent

I can't comment on the Husky's in Whitehorse, we didn't have time to do any tours in Whitehorse, only slept there, then right onto the coach to continue to Dawson City.

There are a couple at Denali you probably will be able to do. Jeff King's Husky Homestead Tour was offered on our HAL cruise, but if you don't want to spend that much time, Denali has their own dog kennels and put on free demonstrations. That would allow you more time to do other things at Denali.

Just be careful that whatever you plan to do has the time to do it. If you book through HAL, they won't let you book if there isn't time to do the tour.

In Tok, there was a store and out back there were kennels with husky pups. Didn't have to pay a thing to touch and pet them. They were cutting up and jumping around, they were a blast to watch.

But the tour to Jeff King's Husky Homestead was fantastic. I had watched Jeff win the Iditarod in '06 so knew I wanted to go there. I told the others in my group, I was going if I had to walk, so I was very pleased that HAL offered it. You listen to one of the workers talk about the dogs and their life at the kennel, then Jeff did a demonstration, you got to meet his wife Donna and their daughters, and they brought out about a dozen pups for folks to hold. You could take your own photos or they would take photos too that you could purchase. They had his book and other items for sale. Now that Jeff has retired from the Iditarod, I don't know if the Homestead Tour will still be the same. The tour was about 3 1/2 hours. That and the Tundra Wilderness Tour were the two main things I wanted to do in Denali.

But only you know your priorities to make that final decision.

Archived