Stupid Question re: Port Everglades

PS90

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this is a nit-picky and/or dumb question.

I have cruised multiple times, but only out of either Seattle, Vancouver, or LA.

We have a cruise heading out of Port Everglades this December, and it looks like there will be at least 6 or 7 ships embarking that day.

Is this going to make for a long time through customs? I believe there was 3 ships at San Pedro one time we embarked, and I realize that Port Everglades is much larger, but 6 ships (or more) seems like a crazy amount.

Should I be ready to "hurry up and wait"? Thanks a lot!

Six ships is average for Port Everglades. The last time I departed from there, there were 11 ships in port.

It's big, but efficient - certainly more efficient than San Pedro...:rolleyes:

The less said about FLL the better...

Customs isn't usually a serious problem at Port Everglades. The ships are spread over a large area, and there are multiple terminals, each with their own Customs.

Security at FLL (the airport).... that is another subject.

Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like I'm worrying for nothing.

Six ships is average for Port Everglades. The last time I departed from there, there were 11 ships in port.

It's big, but efficient - certainly more efficient than San Pedro...:rolleyes:

The less said about FLL the better...

Thanks very much. If they can handle 11, then 6 shouldn't be an issue. I don't get your last sentence, though. :confused:

you state "We have a cruise heading out of Port Everglades this December, and it looks like there will be at least 6 or 7 ships embarking that day."

I see the work "embarking" and you say you are leaving from port everglades...embarking, meaning you are boarding the ship, will not be a problem as there is no customs involved when boarding.

if you really mean disembarking....leaving the ship... then yes, there is a customs but as CruiserBruce says, it should not be a problem with customs....

now at the airport, after disembarkation...that could be a different issue...

you state "We have a cruise heading out of Port Everglades this December, and it looks like there will be at least 6 or 7 ships embarking that day."

I see the work "embarking" and you say you are leaving from port everglades...embarking, meaning you are boarding the ship, will not be a problem as there is no customs involved when boarding.

if you really mean disembarking....leaving the ship... then yes, there is a customs but as CruiserBruce says, it should not be a problem with customs....

now at the airport, after disembarkation...that could be a different issue...

Sorry, I guess "customs" is the wrong word. We are getting on the ship that day. Is it simply called "check-in", when you stand in line to check your ID/passport/boarding pass?

Sorry, I guess "customs" is the wrong word. We are getting on the ship that day. Is it simply called "check-in", when you stand in line to check your ID/passport/boarding pass?

OK, checkin is the much better term. However, the answer is pretty much the same. There are many ships spread over a large area with many terminals. They board hundreds of thousands of passengers every month. They have it down pat. Unless there is an unusual situation, waiting won't be a problem. However, if you really want to avoid just about any kind of line, go to the pier after about 12:30 or 1pm, but well before your scheduled sailing time.

OK, checkin is the much better term. However, the answer is pretty much the same. There are many ships spread over a large area with many terminals. They board hundreds of thousands of passengers every month. They have it down pat. Unless there is an unusual situation, waiting won't be a problem. However, if you really want to avoid just about any kind of line, go to the pier after about 12:30 or 1pm, but well before your scheduled sailing time.

Thanks, bruce, for the excellent advice/experience.

Let's just say that FLL isn't one of my favourite airports - I believe it took us over 2 hours to check-in after our cruise, and the terminal was a tad thread-bare in the services department.

I would have to agree with you. Especially if it's a weekend. What we have done the last several years is spend a day (or 2 :)) in Fort Lauderdale after the cruise and book a return flight before 11:00am. If you get to the airport by 9:30 or so you beat the rush of people coming from the port. Plus, it's a good excuse to delay heading back to our Illinois winters. :D

Dave

Checking in will be the same at each ship no matter how many other ships are there. Each terminal is it's own independant operation. The only issue with more ships is perhaps a wait for a cab or hotel shuttle to take you to the port, and there will likely be more of a line at security to enter the port itself.

Archived