Cruise Prices across the Pond

DEEDIA

I often have a flick around different Threads of possible future Cruises, and sometimes think our Amercian friends pay a cheaper price than us here in the UK. There could be a Varity of reasons, even me might be totaly wrong, any thoughts on this.

In sometimes seems that way and we often discuss this on the Cunard forum. But you have to take into account that our fares include VAT whereas their fares have the tax added afterwards - it's different in different states.

Also on transatlantics our fares include return airfare whereas their fares don't.

The thing that bugs me the most is that in the US they get any price drops in between paying the deposit and final balance whereas we don't. So they may as well book early knowing this.

For this reason, apparently quite a few people in the UK book their cruises through US agents.

In sometimes seems that way and we often discuss this on the Cunard forum. But you have to take into account that our fares include VAT whereas their fares have the tax added afterwards - it's different in different states.

Also on transatlantics our fares include return airfare whereas their fares don't.

The thing that bugs me the most is that in the US they get any price drops in between paying the deposit and final balance whereas we don't. So they may as well book early knowing this.

For this reason, apparently quite a few people in the UK book their cruises through US agents.

I have also read about this too Ray - but how do us Brits find a US TA ?

I have also read about this too Ray - but how do us Brits find a US TA ?

sometimes the price in US is not as good as UK on certain sailings.

Big danger of booking with a US TA, is will your UK credit card company cover you if that US TA goes bust.

I book all my RCCL cruises with a US TA. I do this mainly because if I want to change my mind on a cruise/ship/date whatever, I can do so easily and without paying extra charges...and can cancel and not lose my deposit.

The prices are not always that much cheaper but on some/many yes they do work out cheaper.

I book all my RCCL cruises with a US TA. I do this mainly because if I want to change my mind on a cruise/ship/date whatever, I can do so easily and without paying extra charges...and can cancel and not lose my deposit.

The prices are not always that much cheaper but on some/many yes they do work out cheaper.

What about using UK credit card & US TA going bust, more that 1 has already this year

Two UK TAs went bust in the last couple of months..so it can happen anywhere.

One was a TA (Gills), the other was a tour operator (Holidays 4UK).

The TA was covered by ABTA and the tour operator was covered by ATOL.

If you book a cruise through a US travel agent, you're not going to be covered by ABTA if they go bust.

I don't know much about US TAs, but from my dog forum, I've heard about people who have a full time job and do some TA work on top, because one member was a teacher and TA, and said that was quite usual.

I'd be a bit wary of sending a large sum out like that....

Jo.

With NCL you can always just use ncl.com or a NCL personal cruise consultants(in house TA's), also check EU sites like germany sometimes they are the cheapest

All my US TA bookings the cruise line has taken the money not the TA so no risk. just make sure you have the cruise line booking reference and check te booking/payments on-line

Unlike the UK where the TA takes the money and holds it before passing it to the cruise line.sometime months.

One thing to be aware of is that some on-line US TA's will have great discounts BUT charge fees for any changes.

You also have to interact afternoon/evenings email r phoe(I use skype)

Quite a few tips are around the same price these days and regional discounting often makes the UK a lot cheaper.

Finding a US TA to work with is relatively easy ifyou use one of the price comparison/compete eb sites that allow TA's to make offers, you tell them you are UK so only those comfortable doing offshore bokings will respond.

Some cruise lines don't like this and try to stop it carnival group and RCCL group are the strictest but there are ways round this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that when using a US TA your deposit/balance is paid direct to Royal Caribbean. In all the times I've booked through the US, I've only ever seen credit card statements showing RCI, never my TA's name

On another point, I was tempted by a good price on Brilliance through a UK TA this year because I couldn't match the price in the US after paying for flights. I later upgraded from an inside to a balcony, but when I recently wanted to upgrade again (from E1 to D1 aft) RCI UK gave a higher figure than the difference between what I paid and the current D1 price. The D1 price wasn't for new bookings only, so I don't know where they plucked the figure from. Needless to say, I won't be changing cabins, but I've never had this problem in the US.

I'm pretty sure that when using a US TA your deposit/balance is paid direct to Royal Caribbean. In all the times I've booked through the US, I've only ever seen credit card statements showing RCI, never my TA's name

On another point, I was tempted by a good price on Brilliance through a UK TA this year because I couldn't match the price in the US after paying for flights. I later upgraded from an inside to a balcony, but when I recently wanted to upgrade again (from E1 to D1 aft) RCI UK gave a higher figure than the difference between what I paid and the current D1 price. The D1 price wasn't for new bookings only, so I don't know where they plucked the figure from. Needless to say, I won't be changing cabins, but I've never had this problem in the US.

I think RCI UK only give one free change.

So you have to bay the difference AND a surcharge it is on the web site somewhere perhaps you can see if it matches the extra you were asked for.

crazy when you want to spend more money.

I think RCI UK only give one free change.

So you have to bay the difference AND a surcharge it is on the web site somewhere perhaps you can see if it matches the extra you were asked for.

crazy when you want to spend more money.

I think you're right. I can't understand why they only allow one free change when I was prepared to pay to upgrade again. I won't upgrade on principle now, so they get no extra money at all:rolleyes: I'm happy with the hump cabin we've got, so I'll forget about the aft

Back to booking through the US for me

Archived