The single's experience on Cunard?

Whirled Peas

I wonder if a single person would have a good experience on a Cunard cruise? I'm not talking about the TA, which likely draws a diverse crowd, but the longer cruises. Are these a couples only experience? Would a single person feel left out? If you were in a grill suite, would a single person be seated at a QG table with other people? I have never sailed on Cunard, but I would like to give it a try. My husband is not a cruise fan, and I generally cruise once a year without him, usually with girlfriends. But I was toying with the idea of doing a Cunard trip, maybe two weeks in the Med, all by myself. (My girlfriends say it sounds too stuffy for them, but I love the idea of a truly elegant sail on an ocean liner.) Would I be a sore thumb? Would anyone dance with me, talk to me, invite me to tea? Tell the truth, now....

Yes, you would be at a large table with other singles and couples of various ages and nationalities. Everyone would talk to you and make you welcome and invite you to go with them to afternoon tea etc. Obviously the longer the cruise, the more likely you are to make strong friendships with table mates. The lovely people on my table in QG were, by a long way, the best part of my recent QM2 world cruise.

... But I was toying with the idea of doing a Cunard trip, maybe two weeks in the Med, all by myself. (My girlfriends say it sounds too stuffy for them, but I love the idea of a truly elegant sail on an ocean liner.)..

Their loss! You'll have a great time.

If you go solo, I recommend a table for 8. You're assured of dining company even if one or two table mates don't show up for meal. Conversation is easy - people will ask where you are from, how you are enjoying the voyage, etc. Nobody asks or cares if you are alone. Cunard also employs Gentleman Dance Hosts in the Queens Room, so you can dance until your feet hurt if that's what you enjoy.

Formal nights are a great for wearing your best evening dresses and bling. Your dresses don't have to be Carmen Marc Valvo nor does your jewelery need to come from Cartier. But wear what fits your means and you will look elegant, feel special, and snicker at how foolish your friends are to be passing up such a good time.

I did a two week Med cruise alone and had a great time! I met a lot of people from participating in the activities and seeing the same faces at the bar in the evening. There are singles meetings and there are hosts to dance who will ask you to dance. It's a very social environment so you won't have any problems at all. The QG has larger tables if you request one but bear in mind it is open seating so you may want to ask your fellow diners what time they intend on coming to dinner so as not to miss one another. I am sure you wouldn't regret taking a cruise alone as you won't be alone for long and I have seen many solo cruisers on each voyage (I usually do the two week Med).

To be frank, you would have the same social experience whether you dined in QG or Britannia, except that in Britannia you would pay significantly less for it.

I disagree with the implication that socializing is the same in Britannia as in other Cunard dining venues: In Queens Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia Club, for ALL meals, you are seated at the same table with the same people and served by the same personnel ... I feel that this is a more-positive socializing experience for a single person, as Britannia breakfast and lunch services are open-seating [if you are a non-Britannia passenger, you could still dine in Britannia or elsewhere for those two meals if you wish the opportunity of always being seated with "new" people].

I wonder if a single person would have a good experience on a Cunard cruise? I'm not talking about the TA, which likely draws a diverse crowd, but the longer cruises.

I have sailed several times solo with Cunard, including a full world cruise on QE2, several transatlantic crossings and Northern Europe cruises. Cunard is not as stuffy by any means as the brochures would like us to think. The formal dress code in the evenings does create a very civilized ambiance.

When traveling solo, I have always requested to be seated at a table for 8, most generally a table for eight hosted by the QM2 hotel manager and his staff whom I know very well from my QE2 days.

My suggestion is to request a large table, preferably for 8. I do not like the open seating for breakfast and lunch in Britannia and sometimes ask to be seated at a table for two by myself. While the open seating can make for socializing and meeting fellow passengers, I find that this arrangement can promote the kind of small talk I find tedious, especially if you land on a table with blowhards or complainers.

In the Grills and Britannia Club, you dine with the same tablemates for all meals. While I have never dined solo in these venues on QM2, QE2 offered a similar arrangement in the Caronia Restaurant where the tablemates were the same for all meals. As a single, on the world cruise particularly, this was very reassuring and promoted a convivial atmosphere at the table and the development of strong relationships that extended beyond the table to other areas of the ship such as the shows, movies, the lounges/bars, the lectures, and even some shore excursions. Strong relationships also developed with passengers at surrounding tables.

You will be fine in Britannia on a large table, and there is much to be said about opportunities at least to meet other passengers during the open seating meal services.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!

Cruises can vary wildly. I did a one Med on QV from Southampton- some of the friendliest, most sociable people I've ever met on a cruise, Hemispheres was still packed at 2 AM. But another, similar itinerary and season, was nothing special, Hemispheres was empty by midnite. And a cruise last winter in the America's would have been a total flop had I not been travelling with a dance group.

A sailing in the Mediterranean, where everyone has to cope with airline baggage restrictions, is less formal than Southampton, where most people drive or transit to the port. Most people who choose Cunard do so because they want the opportunity to dress up, but it's only as stuffy as you make it.

I've changed tables a couple of times for dinner, but I've never encountered any blowhards/complainers too bad to tolerate for one meal- much more likely, interesting and knowledgeable people with considered opinions.

Overall, I'd say Cunard is the best line for singles I know of.

Edited by Dancer Bob

Your very substantive responses are much appreciated and very helpful. If the passengers I encounter on Cunard are as generous and engaging as those on this board, I should have no one to blame but myself if I don't have a wonderful Cunard cruise as a single. I wish I could convince my husband to join me, but he insists his vacations be very "adventurous" and "challenging." I love going with him but I also long for a nice float on a beautiful boat with like-minded gentle people who want to savor the "adventure" of pleasant lunch conversation followed by the "challenge" of a nap on the verandah! Ah, well. One day he will get old and creaky and he will be at my mercy! Until then, it's me and the girlfriends, or just me. As I already have a girlfriend cruise planned for this fall, it's likely to be a year from now before I am booking my first truly elegant cruise experience. Until then, you can expect to see me lurking here, asking the occasional remedial question that has been asked and answered umpteen times, and thanking you all for your continued education of this Cunard novice.

I live and work in Alaska. If I can ever return the courtesy to any of you by answering questions about what to do in my great state when you visit, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

WP

Your very substantive responses are much appreciated and very helpful. If the passengers I encounter on Cunard are as generous and engaging as those on this board, I should have no one to blame but myself if I don't have a wonderful Cunard cruise as a single. I wish I could convince my husband to join me, but he insists his vacations be very "adventurous" and "challenging." I love going with him but I also long for a nice float on a beautiful boat with like-minded gentle people who want to savor the "adventure" of pleasant lunch conversation followed by the "challenge" of a nap on the verandah! Ah, well. One day he will get old and creaky and he will be at my mercy! Until then, it's me and the girlfriends, or just me. As I already have a girlfriend cruise planned for this fall, it's likely to be a year from now before I am booking my first truly elegant cruise experience. Until then, you can expect to see me lurking here, asking the occasional remedial question that has been asked and answered umpteen times, and thanking you all for your continued education of this Cunard novice.

I live and work in Alaska. If I can ever return the courtesy to any of you by answering questions about what to do in my great state when you visit, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

WP

Hi WP. Thank you very much. Many friends and family members have visited your state, and rave about the natural beauty. Quite frankly, I am not a cold weather person. In terms of Cunard voyages, what I enjoy most are Caribbean cruises during winter months. While I'm certainly no expert, I have taken several QM2 cruises to the Caribbean. Your husband might find such voyages challenging and enjoyable. All kinds of physical activitivy/shore excursions are available on such voyages. But if he's not interested in a voyage, I compliment you on sailing solo. BTW, I believe the security on QM2 is excellent, and I have travelled solo to many places - yet felt most secure on QM2.

Best wishes,

Salacia

I disagree with the implication that socializing is the same in Britannia as in other Cunard dining venues: In Queens Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia Club, for ALL meals, you are seated at the same table with the same people and served by the same personnel ... I feel that this is a more-positive socializing experience for a single person, as Britannia breakfast and lunch services are open-seating [if you are a non-Britannia passenger, you could still dine in Britannia or elsewhere for those two meals if you wish the opportunity of always being seated with "new" people].

I'm afraid you are incorrect as you have the same table, same diners and same waiting staff in the Britannia also.

I'm afraid you are incorrect as you have the same table, same diners and same waiting staff in the Britannia also.

To be fair, the table mates and waiters are only the same for dinner, if you take other meals in the Britannia the seating is open and you may sit with strangers. Personally I think that enhances the social aspect as you are encountering far more people than if you sat with the same ones for each meal.

To be fair, the table mates and waiters are only the same for dinner, if you take other meals in the Britannia the seating is open and you may sit with strangers. Personally I think that enhances the social aspect as you are encountering far more people than if you sat with the same ones for each meal.

Yes you are very correct Cap'n. perhaps I didn't read the thread properly.

My apologies.

I agree with you capnpugwash (a/k/a CPW :D)

Just to mention: In addition to meeting more passengers, we rowers also get to meet more of the staff in Britannia. And they do remember us.

However, we were in Britannia Club on one voyage, and had the same table and staff available for all three meals (a nice option, but we went for more variety).

S.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at a solo eastbound TA but the supplement is MURDER! But I guess the experience would be worth it and I can pay in installments. . .I also want to cruise to Bermuda and the Mediterranean but this is the only cruise that fits my vacation schedule...I'm *this* close to booking it though.

I'm looking at a solo eastbound TA but the supplement is MURDER! But I guess the experience would be worth it and I can pay in installments. . .I also want to cruise to Bermuda and the Mediterranean but this is the only cruise that fits my vacation schedule...I'm *this* close to booking it though.

Go For It!

I will be doing my 4th Solo TA on QM2 in 3 weeks. I have found that often the price may come down a bit after you book, but before final payment date. If you are booking from the USA at least you can take advantage of those drops.:D I personally like the westbound crossings better because you get rather than give up time and also because I am sailing to my home town.

Denise

Go For It!

I will be doing my 4th Solo TA on QM2 in 3 weeks. I have found that often the price may come down a bit after you book, but before final payment date. If you are booking from the USA at least you can take advantage of those drops.:D I personally like the westbound crossings better because you get rather than give up time and also because I am sailing to my home town.

Denise

Oh that's good to know! The downpayment is $448 but the balance is due in December. But I have to figure out the one way airfare business. . .coming back from LHR. I need to be sure I can find a decent fare before I put the money down!

Hello

If I may advise the OP, if you book at Grills/Britannia Club cabin you will have the same table and waiters for each meal: Breakfast, lunch and dinner. YOu will also have the same passengers assgined to your table.

Even if you are assigned a large table, you can still find your tablemates arriving at different times during the specified hours, coming and going creating holes in the table. So if you prefer to eat late for dinner, you may come and find an empty table as your table companions have already come and gone. AND YOU ARE ALONE. UNless, of course, most everyone agrees to an arrival time for dinner. (Breakfast and lunch doesn't matter so much.) But that arrival time may not suit you for whatever reason.

As one who often sails solo, I much prefer the Britannia at a large table. Just make sure it is filled with really fun people. (The Brits.) Good luck and enjoy your sailing ....

Deck Chair

Oh that's good to know! The downpayment is $448 but the balance is due in December. But I have to figure out the one way airfare business. . .coming back from LHR. I need to be sure I can find a decent fare before I put the money down!

Take a look at IcelandAir. You fly through Iceland but I got an AMAZING deal on their premium economy (which is their version of business class) and they allow 2 bags up to 70 pounds each (don't know what the metric equivalent is of that but when I priced coach on United and Virgin, etc, they allowed only one bag up to 50 pounds. I know many people that have flown with them amd have raved like crazy abut them... and I also know a number of U.S. airlines employees that have vouched for their high safety standards.

I'm travelling solo next May, on a transatlantic back to back. I travelled on QM2 last November, but with friends, and did find the Britannia dining excellent. So much so, I have already opted for a table for 8 for my dining, and if my table companions are as much fun as the ones last year I will be very happy indeed. I have booked an inside cabin, and yes, the single supplement is MURDER, but, if I want to do the voyage I will have to pay the price! Personally, I can't wait - I am so looking forward to it, and of course, also looking forward to tripping the light fantastic in the Queens Room with one of the lovely dance hosts.

This is only true of dinner , main seating at 6p.m and second at 8.30p.m Breakfast and lunch it is open seating , you enter, ask either for" a shared table or a table for one."

I travel solo now , I always aske for a large table, at every meal.

Will you find people inviting you to join them for the theatre, night club,etc, probably not.

You will find that they will talk to you in Sir Samuels, Chart Room, etc,if you go up to their table and ask "may I sit here " pointing to an empty chair, most times they will say "yes", you will have a pleasant conversation and then they will go there way and you will go yours.

This does not mean you will feel isolated in the same way as in a big hotel, but you do have to realise that it is up to you to approach others , not the other way around, and that you do have to allow them "space"- they are there to enjoy their cruise not entertain solo passgers.

As for the Dance hosts, you will need to go to the dance early, sit at a table at the side of the dance floor in order to be noticed by them. Sit any where else and you will not be seen. A host will dance maybe one dance with you in an hour of dancing.there are only 4 on board usually

Solo travellers meetings, the first one may have about 20 people there, after that it is very very much the luck of the draw, they are not usually hosted after the first one.

Do not rely on being at a hosted table. Officers only host a tabe at second seating, never at the 6p.m one. and the chances of being at one of these is like the"upgrade fairy" it happens , but your chances are 1 in 2000.

I will be taking my 20th solo cruise in Feb when I do a 17 day LA to NY cruise on the QV.

As for the Dance hosts, you will need to go to the dance early, sit at a table at the side of the dance floor in order to be noticed by them. Sit any where else and you will not be seen. A host will dance maybe one dance with you in an hour of dancing.there are only 4 on board usually

quote]

Not ALWAYS true we have noticed certain ladies seem to get more than their fair share of the hosts' attention. One lady was hardly ever off the floor on our last trip. (We do like to watch the dancing) I don't know what the rules are for the hosts or even if there are any rules but I expect it helps if they see you can dance a bit and are good company. But like Jimsgirl says, go early and get a seat on the edge of the dance floor for the best chance of a dance. And if you are a gent travelling solo and you can dance at all then there will be partners aplenty for you.

Ratty

quote]

Not ALWAYS true we have noticed certain ladies seem to get more than their fair share of the hosts' attention. One lady was hardly ever off the floor on our last trip. (We do like to watch the dancing) I don't know what the rules are for the hosts or even if there are any rules but I expect it helps if they see you can dance a bit and are good company. But like Jimsgirl says, go early and get a seat on the edge of the dance floor for the best chance of a dance. And if you are a gent travelling solo and you can dance at all then there will be partners aplenty for you.

Ratty

On one crossing I was with a group that liked to dance every night in the Queens Room. I watched the gentleman hosts, and they consistently asked the younger, prettier women to dance and ignored the older ladies. Not very nice.