Best way to get from Phila to NY port

CECRN

Hi there,

We are sailing 10/5, just booked today and are looking into the best ways to get to the ship, then back home. We are on Carnival, so how much to park for the 8 day cruise if we decide to drive? If we take the train from Penn Station, I guess a taxi to the port would be best. Also looking at car service from home to the port, but that will probably cost an arm and a leg. Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated!!

Parking is $30/day so that would be $240. As you said, car service would cost an arm and a leg. Your other options are train and bus.

Amtrak appears to be $36/pp each way. Local train (Septa to Trenton, and NJTransit to NY) would be cheaper. Bus would also be cheaper.

How many people are going? If it is just one or two, I'd take Amtrak to Penn Station, and a cab from there to the pier; it'll run you $72 pp round trip and takes about 90 minutes. It's a very short taxi ride from Penn to the pier. If it is more than just a couple folks, it may be more cost effective to drive and pay for parking.

Thanks all, for your help. I did look into the train, and that would be a great choice, except that since we are in the suburbs, would be at least $60 ride to 30th street station. I guess that we will drive. I read on another post that if you park in the wrong parking lot you won't be able to retrieve your car at the end of the cruise. Since we have never cruised out of NY before, how do we make sure we are in the correct lot?

Thanks, you guys give awesome information!!

Look into Megabus or Bolt Bus and see if that works for you. Otherwise, I think Amtrak is your best bet; I've done the Septa/NJ Transit thing many times, but not with luggage.

Although I did this from Boston I would assume it's similar from Philly. I had a great experience taking Megabus to NYC, quick cab ride to the pier. On the way home it was so nice to be able to sleep for the entire bus ride and I lucked out with a $2.50 RT ticket so can't complain about the price.

I'm now taking a couple of day trips to VT and CT on Megabus on my 'staycation' in a couple of weeks. Great bang for your buck even if you don't get the $1 seats!

Thanks all, for your help. I did look into the train, and that would be a great choice, except that since we are in the suburbs, would be at least $60 ride to 30th street station. I guess that we will drive. I read on another post that if you park in the wrong parking lot you won't be able to retrieve your car at the end of the cruise. Since we have never cruised out of NY before, how do we make sure we are in the correct lot?

Thanks, you guys give awesome information!!

They'll tell you which lot to park in when you get to the pier. I was probably the person to whom you're referring. I made that comment in response to a post from someone who wanted to park at the pier a few days before their actual cruise departure in order to avoid the steep parking fees at their hotel. That might put them in a lot that ends up not being used for their cruise, and potentially that lot might not be open on the day their cruise returns.

OK thanks njhorseman, my mind is now at ease. My husband doesn't mind driving, so that is what we will do. It will be so nice to get off the ship and be home quickly, with no flight involved. This will be a first for us, but I guarantee you it will not be the last! Thank you all, for you help!!

I read on another post that if you park in the wrong parking lot you won't be able to retrieve your car at the end of the cruise.

Nope, we left on the Glory from Pier 90, pulled up and the guy asked us what ship, told us to park on Pier 90 where the Glory was. The Jewel was leaving from Pier 88.

On our return 5 days later, Glory was the only ship calling that day so we docked at Pier 88. We had to get our luggage and go over to Pier 90 where the car was. So as you can see you will still have access to your car even if you return to a different Pier.

You'd be able to get your car as long as any ship was sailing/docking on any given day as the parking lot is open on sailing days, but you'd have to know the various ship's schedules in advance and when you would plan to get your car as price is per day and you pay upon arriving.

Archived