garment bag

Mostly Sunny

Hi, I know this question seems ridiculous but I need some advice please...

I am borrowing luggage from a friend.. never been on a vacation that we have to fly and go somewhere with luggage... we usually go on camping vacations so I have never used a garment bag for the suit that he is taking for the formal night...The Garment bag lays out flat and then folds in half and zips all the way around..

My question is this.... there is lots of extra room in the garment bag so I am putting most of my husband's hang up clothes for the regular dinner nights.. but*** Do I pack the shirts with or with out the hanger on them? It seems to me that the hanger keep it from getting too wrinkled but it is taking up more room than needed...I was wondering if I stagger the shirts reversing direction... that would use the space more wisely too. What do you all do? Any advice would be appreciated...

thank you

SA

Since you are flying- this will be an added piece of luggage.

Put as much hanging stuff as possible- your dresses, all your shirts/blouses.

That way when you are unpacking all you have to do is grab hangers and throw them on the bar.

If you put dry cleaners bags- it will help alleviate the wrinkles--

dont have dry cleaner bags? kitchen trash can liners work just as well. (do not use scented ones

Since you are flying- this will be an added piece of luggage.

Put as much hanging stuff as possible- your dresses, all your shirts/blouses.

That way when you are unpacking all you have to do is grab hangers and throw them on the bar.

If you put dry cleaners bags- it will help alleviate the wrinkles--

dont have dry cleaner bags? kitchen trash can liners work just as well. (do not use scented ones

The garment bag is a carry on and therefore should not be an added piece to check in.

Thank you all for your advice... I appreciate it..

I believe the garment bag has to be checked luggage cuz it is bigger than the allowed carry on measurements that I took off of the Jet Blue website.

:)

SA

Have never flown Jet Blue. However we never check our garment bag on Delta, Air Tran or AA.

The garment bag is a carry on and therefore should not be an added piece to check in.

Have never seen a garment bag treated as a carry-on...in my experience, the airlines have always treated it as checked luggage

Mostly sunny, no matter what you pack or hang, please do NOT put all the same type of clothing in the same piece of luggage: example; Formal wear, Casual evening wear. What if one piece of luggage gets "lost or delayed"? At least put one dress and one evening shirt & pants in another piece of luggage. You can put a set of underwear, socks, top etc. into pockets which you may have on your Garment bag. As mentioned, do cover each hanging outfit with light plastic dry clearner bags. It really does help eliminate the wrinkles. We stopped using a garment bag years ago when luggage restrictions became an issue. Plus we have "suiter" style suitcases now where we can pack in a similar fashion.

I can tell you that what we do is put 2 or 3 shirts on one hangar on top of one another...less hangars but still hanging up. Bring a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser and you will be fine. Don't forget you can use the bottom of the garmet bag for some fill in items also, I always throw some sock and undergarmets and stuff down there as most of the room taken in the garmet bag is up top...

Also you can put alot of little things inside shoes in the packed luggage, this saves you some additional space.

As far as checking the garmet bag, depends on the size of the bag and the airline...some airlines are charging for all carryons, some don't some have different sizes, just check and see the size once it is packed and see what you can do...I prefer to not have my garmet bag out of my sight as that has the things in it that would be most expensive to replace if lost...

Archived